ROUTE possible on a month

pildpild Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

i want to make a question, is it possible to pass the ROUTE exam with one month study?
(ccna level)

I want some answers from your experience.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pild wrote: »
    Hello all,

i want to make a question, is it possible to pass the ROUTE exam with one month study?
    (ccna level)

Probably not. BSCI was worth about 3-6 months of study and I doubt Route will be much different. What is your current exp? You should know that the difference between NA and NP scared me so much, that I want to get all the NAs and "broaden" my CCNA level knowledge/skillset (and get some exp) BEFORE I go for the CCSP/VP/NP
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure you can, just skim through the book, memorize a brain **** and pat yourself on the back.

The answer is no, i honestly believe spending an hour a day reading for a month will barely get you past the reading. Lets not forget you have to lab and practice.

Please spend 3 to 4 months prepping. Just honest advice.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would definitely say that the answer to this is no. I studied for 2 1/2 months for my BSCI, I failed my first attempt, missed passing by 7 points. I was scheduled to retake the exam last Saturday, but had to reschedule due to the 3 - 1/2 feet of snow we got in WV. Now, I'm scheduled to take it this Saturday and we are getting pounded by snow again as I'm writing this. So, I'll have to wait and see how that goes. If you are at CCNA level, my answer is No. I started at the same level. I passed my BCMSN on the first try studying two months about 3-5 hours per day. I studied about the same amount per day for the BSCI and I have to be honest, it is the hardest exam I have taken in my entire life. ROUTE is going to be no different. Especially since somewhere it could contain the material mixed in from ONT and ISCW. I would give yourself at least 3 months to study for this exam before attempting it.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    in a month not unless you already have the experience and many, many hours to burn a day. realistically about 2 months
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • pildpild Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you all, for your reply's.

On more question , in a period of 6 months do you believe that it is possible to achieve the whole track (ROUTE, SWITCH & TSHOOT)?

From job & my personal expectations, is pushing me a lot.

Thank you again for replying.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

On more question , in a period of 6 months do you believe that it is possible to achieve the whole track (ROUTE, SWITCH & TSHOOT)?

Do you have your CCNA yet? How much networking experience do you have? Are you working with cisco equipment? If so, what equipment, how often, and to what capacity? These questions need to be answered before someone can give you a decent answer.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're studying to gain the knowledge and skills listed in the exam blueprints, figure that each exam could take you 2 to 3 times what it took to EARN the CCNA..... While each exam is focused on a smaller set of topics, it goes deeper into each topic than the CCNA exam(s) did.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□

I know personally one person that was able to go from NA to NP within 12 months and IE a year later and passed on the first try. So if your a machine its possible
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

(ccna level)

It depends entirely on whether you're getting your daily recommended intake of fiber. That, and your access to a leprechaun.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been studying the BSCI since November of 09 and I'm just now finishing up the study guide book averaging about 6-8 hours a week. I already created and ran about GNS3 80 labs for the BSCI I noticed compared to the 30-40 for the ENTIRE CCNA! I passed the CCNA in a little under 2 months while I'm estimating that it won't be until April until I sit this exam. I still need to complete the Cisco exam and lab books before I know I'll be comfortable to take this exam....just to give you a little comparison lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Think about hours of study. I got burned out last december because I was going way too fast. I was studying and labbing soooo much for more than 45 days and all of the sudden I jjust couldnt see any more routing stuff. I could read a lot and study a lot (ive read a lo of management books lately and even some microsoft stuff) but i just couldnt find the will to get to study the BSCI. I also spent about 4 weeks earlier last year reading the study guide. I think Ive spent more than 225 hours of study and I'm close, but not ready yet. I am not what you could define as a slow learner, so go figure!

I think it is a generally accepted fact that CCNA takes about 250hours of reading and labbing to get prepared. I did a little more because i got too scared of failing and ended up reading all the official books (icnd 1 n 2 and certification library) and also Sybex CCNA (which is actually all you really need, btw).

Mike thinks 2-3x the amount of work it took you for the CCNA and I think he is right. Maybe 3x is on the extreme but 2x doesnt sound off at all...
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Depends on the time you are willing to put in, I did BSCI in 6 weeks... but I had a LOT of time on my hands.

I'm taking ~3 months per exam now that I have less time to study (BCMSN took me 4 months)
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i would agree ~3 months per exam, while having a job in networking and 2 to 3 hours time to study and lab.

yes a month if you forget job and life and spend 8 hours a day labing and reading, and have a good graps of the topics to begin with.

but looking at the new exam I think brian **** will be harder, it looks like they are trying to stop this by requiring trouble shooting and though as well as knowlage.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Considering ROUTE isn't even available yet, any estimate than anyone gives is pure conjecture.
    yes but I think its safe to say that 3 months is a resonable time take to expect to study a P level exam. (Assuming you have a decent background knowlage off the topics. )

I am planning on mid to end of march for my Switch Exam. So that will be 2 months study, but again I have a strong switch background.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I think brian **** will be harder
    Who's "Brian ****", is he a member of there forums? :)
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Well let's see. 3 months per exam ( 3 X 3 = 9 months). That's IF you pass on the first try. I would say allow yourself at least 8 - 12 months. It took me 8 months to get my CCNA. It took me 2 months for my BCMSN. Again I've done 2 1/2 months on the BSCI and I'm going for the 2nd attempt Saturday. The only way that is possible is to **** your way through and your not going to get anything out of that. We all know that quote, "Cheaters never win." It's true because if you **** your way through one day your going to get caught with your pants down. Everyone will be laughing at you standing there with your wee wee hanging out. LMAO I love irony.
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Who's "Brian ****", is he a member of there forums? :)

LOL

Dam it i was reading your post, and like, what?? why he post that??? Whats so funny.

Then I got it...

Oh the joys of being dyslexic ;)
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    It's true because if you **** your way through one day your going to get caught with your pants down. Everyone will be laughing at you standing there with your wee wee hanging out. LMAO I love irony.

hey, speak for yourself! they wount be laughing at me... they will say "look how huge!!" ;)
    The only way that is possible is to **** your way through.

I disagree with that.

You don't have to "****" to achive the Route exam in one month. you said you took 2 months for your BCMSN. And we are suggesting cutting that down to one. I don't even agree you need to brain **** to achive it.

This compltely depends on you level of knowlage to start with, and your understanding of the topics. Plus how much time you can put in to it. and how you aproach learning it.

If i wasnt working I think i could quite easly pass this exam in a month, (assuming I had the gear to play around on)

It dosent matter if it takes you a week to pass or a year. If you come away only knowing the facts then you have missed the point. If you come away understanding the ideas, behind those facts. Then you have achived the goal of the course. Becasue if you understand the "ideas" then you are in a strong postition to apply and adapt them to a working envirment.
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    I disagree with that.

You don't have to "****" to achive the Route exam in one month. you said you took 2 months for your BCMSN. And we are suggesting cutting that down to one. I don't even agree you need to brain **** to achive it.

This compltely depends on you level of knowlage to start with, and your understanding of the topics. Plus how much time you can put in to it. and how you aproach learning it.

If i wasnt working I think i could quite easly pass this exam in a month, (assuming I had the gear to play around on)

Of course it depends on the level on knowledge, but with this kind of logic my answer to the topic starter would be "forget one month, its possible to pass route exam in 2 hours, cause thats how long it takse to actually sit the exam. And yeah btw, to achieve that, you have to know all the material".

But with CCNA level knowledge i think it would be really hard to pass route exam in one month. Sure, i guess its not "impossible", but very unlikely...

im studying for BSCI around 3 months alreay and im planning to give my first try in march... (i passed CCNA in 2 months, 1 month for CCENT and another for CCNA)
    yeah, i dont study 24/7, but still...

EDIT: i also think that the difference in CCNA and CCNP is not necessarily that CCNA is so easy but rather that most of us have already around CCNA level of knowledge from previous working/school experience. OSI model, subnetting, binary, ip addresses, simple routing etc etc... most IT people have encountered that before. But CCNP level is much deeper and unless you have pretty serious networking background you will find a lot of stuff on those exams that you have never encountered before... For example i had never heard about IS-IS before, i had heard about existence of BGP, but i knew nothing about it etc etc...
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    forget trying it in 1 month(unless your dumping). Besides, what's the rush? ROUTE is not going anywhere...it hasn't even started :P
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    trackit wrote: »
    Of course it depends on the level on knowledge, but with this kind of logic my answer to the topic starter would be "forget one month, its possible to pass route exam in 2 hours, cause thats how long it takse to actually sit the exam. And yeah btw, to achieve that, you have to know all the material".

total agree with your post, I wasn't really suggesting how long it should take, just that I disagree with the original post that "any one who does it in a month must be cheating"
    I disagree with that.

Eh, I'll disagree with your disagreement. Just going on the basis of BSCI, your average CCNA is going to need more than a month. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but I think you'll find the number of network prodigy's to be a fairly small number. If you've got to ask how long it would take you to pass the Professional level routing exam on an internet forum, you're not one of 'em. It took me a month to pass the current BSCI, but that's only because I took the previous version of the exam, so I'd already gone through initial prep, and I knew what I was likely to encounter, which helped me focus my refresh.
    see there are exceptions which was the point I was making.

And when I passed my CCNA (21st Jan) I came on here and asked how long it would take to get CCNP. People said 3 months per exam + a bit.

Now I know (having read most of the course) that I could have passed the BCMSN exam with in a month of that time. Now I don't consider my self significantly above CCNA status. May be I am, may be I'm not. But to me most of the BCMSN is natural progression from the CCNA.

now the gentleman asked is it possible to pass the ROUTE exam with one months study?

YES,

possible with out cheating/brain ****?

YES (and yes there are cheats out there but I'm not about to suggest this person would be one of them)

If he wants to attempt it in a month then go for it. Yes I think its ambitious, and if your not careful you will end up with a very "empty exam" (or pockets) if you fail.

I think its far better to take your time and like most here think 3 months is a good time to aim for (and if anything expect it to take a little more). But that's only how long it seems to take most people. I am not going say its impossible to do it faster, or assume you must be a **** if you do it faster. Nor will I suggest you "don't really know the topics".

I would just say this, at the end of the day you are going to need to show these skills before you get a job. People interviewing for high level IT jobs general know what they are talking about. They know the different ways people pass the Exams, and they know the questions to ask to weed them out. If you cram and don't really understand it, you may find your CCNP will get you lots of interviews but not really any jobs..
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with DevilWAH, it took me five weeks from completing the CCNA to passing the BSCI (I failed BSCI once). If I can do it in five weeks I'm sure there are people that can do it in four. I hope it goes without saying I didn't use any illegitimate materials or methods while studying, just a lot of effort. However, if I were to do it again I would have taken a bit slower and absorbed the material better. In my case it's not a huge deal because I plan to start studying for the CCIE soon, so I'll have to re-learn anything I have forgotten since.
    I stipulated that there are exceptions.

This discussion, however, has gone the way of most internet conversations. Folks want to argue the principle rather than the practical and seem to forget that the corner case is the exception, not the rule.

It's only natural I suppose, as without it, we have nothing to talk about hehe
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wasn't disagreeing with what you said, I was just agreeing with DevilWAH. The way I read it you and DevilWAH are saying pretty close to the same thing.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I wasn't disagreeing with what you said, I was just agreeing with DevilWAH. The way I read it you and DevilWAH are saying pretty close to the same thing.
    Now I'm completely confused icon_scratch.gif.

I reckon I could do it in a month, I'm currently averaging 25 days per exam. Only problem is I would forget it all as quickly as I learnt it.

Retention is always the problem with rushing them through.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route