Options

I'm Starting to get frustrated with my job search

JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but i read through a lot of post last night and wanted to register asap.

I've been without IT work since last June.I was close to being fired from that job so rather the get fired i quit. At the time I had a job lined up at redbox but I ended up quitting because I kinda had a nervous breakdown. I'm not sure if it's my resume, experience(1.5 years), or something about my interviews but I'll get an interview and the company's end up hiring someone else. It seems like where I live there are so many people with more experience then me and jobs are few and far between that they just hire people with more experience.

I realize that I need to stick with a company for as long as possible right now because my longest IT job was a month short of being there a year, but it seems like nobody's giving me a chance.

Comments

• Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    You got to keep trying man. If you have to look for some free work or help friends that may need help to possibly build up some new skills. Not sure what your skills are currently but if you want to learn Microsoft products this link may help by listening to podcasts and then doing virtual labs.

http://www.microsoft.com/events/vlabs/default.mspx

I am sure Cisco and others may have things to I am most familiar with most Microsoft products and VMware.

Good luck.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Quitting is definitely not the answer. How can you get more experience if you are quitting the job? That sounds like an oxymoron if you ask me. Also, in keeping with the theme of my reply, don't quit searching or learning. I went on almost 15 interviews before being hired on as a network technician. Now I am a systems administrator. Don't give up. Why were you close to being fired if you don't mind me asking? To me it looks like this in an interview: Why did you leave your other job? Ohhh I was close to being fired. That to me spells trouble and I wouldn't hire you.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just have to keep trying, I've had a number of interviews with no job offers. As the old Army saying goes, hurry up and wait. Keep trucking and you'll find something!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be happy that you're getting the interviews you know, thats something at least you look attractive to other employers. I keep applying and not getting calls to come in, and its a month and a half in of being unemployed...I am worried myself
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I feel your pain; I was out of work for 2 years with no prospects at one stage. The deciding point was to try something different and do work experience through someone I knew. It turned into a 3x month contract and my career resumed.

It may be your resume; it may be your interview technique. Are you seeking advice from others about these items? I thought my CV was good until I showed it to a work colleague who pointed out how crap it was, and he was right. Now it is much more professional in format and content.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JamesRF wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but i read through a lot of post last night and wanted to register asap.

I've been without IT work since last June.I was close to being fired from that job so rather the get fired i quit. At the time I had a job lined up at redbox but I ended up quitting because I kinda had a nervous breakdown. I'm not sure if it's my resume, experience(1.5 years), or something about my interviews but I'll get an interview and the company's end up hiring someone else. It seems like where I live there are so many people with more experience then me and jobs are few and far between that they just hire people with more experience.

I realize that I need to stick with a company for as long as possible right now because my longest IT job was a month short of being there a year, but it seems like nobody's giving me a chance.

I have a similar issue. I have had 4 different jobs in the last 3 years (ran 2 jobs co-currently) and I am currently looking to move out of my current job and into another position. From what interviewers have told me, the job thing isn't the issue, it is living up to your resume. Review you resume and review everything single thing you listed on it, because it is fair game in an interview. I also suggest that you tweak you resume to fit more of the keywords of the position that you are looking for. For an example, the job I want says that it requires solarwinds tools exp, I have never listed this on my resume but I certainly will when I submit my resume to them. Also cast a big net if you are really need a job, cast a small net if you are looking to move. In your situation I would put in about 25-50 apps a week until something bites.

Work on your interview skills, practice with a friend/spouse/parent/family member/etc if you have to. Look at sample technical interview questions and see if you can answer them, (and especially look at the ones you can't answer). Make sure you learn a little bit about the company BEFORE you go in for the interview. ASK FOR THE JOB!!! Someone mentioned it here (I think ForsakenGA) in a post and it was so brilliant and it really changed my thought process as far as interviewing is concerned (and I am just itching to try this out). Ask questions about the company while interviewing. Stay focused!!!

Good Luck,

knwminus
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is going to hurt you. If your resume is showing you jumping around from job to job it's going to raise questions. My last job, I didn't get the job at first and my supervisor said the director had questions about me because I had worked a lot of jobs in a short time. Of course I couldn't help that the places kept closing down and laying people off, but what can you do?

Anyway the guy they choose sucked and flaked out after a couple months and they ended up with me anyway. Just realize what your weaknesses are and address them in as positive a manner as possible. They might not ask you about them, but they ARE thinking about them.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    This is going to hurt you. If your resume is showing you jumping around from job to job it's going to raise questions. My last job, I didn't get the job at first and my supervisor said the director had questions about me because I had worked a lot of jobs in a short time. Of course I couldn't help that the places kept closing down and laying people off, but what can you do?

Anyway the guy they choose sucked and flaked out after a couple months and they ended up with me anyway. Just realize what your weaknesses are and address them in as positive a manner as possible. They might not ask you about them, but they ARE thinking about them.
    Agreed - not having a history of sticking around at previous jobs may be hurting you. Sometimes, it's better to stick around and wait it out so that you can have that stable job history. Employers are wary of taking someone on and spending the time and money to train them if they're not sure that person is going to stay around long enough for them to be worth that investment.

However, since you've already quit, there's no way to go back now & change things. I'd have to agree with other posters here on brushing up on interview skills and polishing/updating your resume so that it's a fair representation of your IT skills...if you're getting interviews based off your resume, they're obviously seeing something they like. So focus on making sure that the resume is reflective of what you can actually do and explain in an interview, and practice/work on wow-ing people in person so you can get past the step of the first interview. You may want to also think of an artful & professional way to explain the short stints in your work history...I can't offer any suggestions, but if you can find a way to communicate that you're ready to make a longer term commitment, it may put their minds at ease.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Yeah, I've noticed that on a few interviews they ask some questions about the jobs and why I'm not there anymore. My first IT job they shut down the store because they weren't making enough to cover cost, so I was only there about 3 months. My second job, well it just didn't work out and they asked me to resign. I just didn't have the experience and wasn't ready for it. The last place, when i say i was about to get fired i was put on probation twice and kept hearing "your going to be let go x day" from several different people. I just got tired of hearing that over and over again, so i put in my notice.

When places ask me, I simply tell them that it was a small company(which it was) and there wasn't enough advancement opportunity for me(also true). If they ask about my second job, i tell them the truth which is that they asked me to resign as i didn't have the proper experience at that time.

You guys are right, at least places are calling me for interviews, but interviews is as far as it goes. Just yesterday, I was scheduled for an interview and the lady called and canceled because they found someone already. Its just getting very hard to keep trying and pushing, even though I love to work in IT.
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    As I said I would use this time to develop more skills and do virtual labs. Build your skills to prepare yourself for your next job.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Sorry but you cant just up and quit jobs and then expect other people to hire you. It doesnt work that way.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Sorry but you cant just up and quit jobs and then expect other people to hire you. It doesnt work that way.

Truth.

If you kept hearing rumors about you getting fired/laid off/whatever, you should have spoken to your manager directly about it.

You said you had a nervous breakdown and quit somewhere. Doesn't sound like you handle stress very well- and IT is stressful.

But all that is said and done, nothing you can do about it now.

But one tip: I would not say that you were asked to resign due to your lack of experience. Not only does it come off that you are making excuses for not being able to do the work, but it makes it sound like that company did not believe that you had the ability to learn the technology. Interviews are never as shallow as question, answer, question, answer. They are always reading into your answers and inferring their own opinion. And if I were interviewing you, that is what I would infer.

Believe it or not, but that is how you progress your career. You take on projects, develop skills, and learn on the job. You don't just go in magically knowing how to do things already. If you take a job that is doing exactly what you were doing before, it should either be a) for more money b) better opportunity for advancement. Otherwise, you will plateau, and will not be developing your skill set.

Your posts and timeline seem a little confusing, but.. you said you had another job lined up when you resigned from that one? If that is the case, simply say you found another job that offered you a better opportunity to further your skills. But then you have to cover for why you left that one.

Let this be a lesson to you. Don't just up and quit. I fully support staying with a company for a couple years and then moving on. That is just how it is this day and age. However, that doesn't mean quit because of rumors, and quit because of "nervous breakdowns". It means find another position that propels you forward, not backward.

Not staying with one place for longer than "just under a year" and having more than one IT job that you quit, tells me as an interviewer, that you would be a big risk investing time and money in. Training someone does require a lot of time and money.

Good luck and I hope you are given yet another chance to prove that you would make a great asset to an IT dept somewhere :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    But one tip: I would not say that you were asked to resign due to your lack of experience. Not only does it come off that you are making excuses for not being able to do the work, but it makes it sound like that company did not believe that you had the ability to learn the technology. Interviews are never as shallow as question, answer, question, answer. They are always reading into your answers and inferring their own opinion. And if I were interviewing you, that is what I would infer.

Ok, then what's the best way to explain it then? Basically, I got fired from that job. I was fired because of some screw ups which I make no excuses for. I do realize that I'm not just going to magically know everything, and I've learned a lot from messing up. I totally agree with you, i've got to keep learning or i'll be just working.

I realize now that to get ahead its best to stick with a job as long as possible until you can find something better, i just screwed up when i quit redbox how i did. There's no sense in thinking about it much now, its over and done with. However, there must be a better way to explain it then i'm doing...right?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    if you got laid off from that first job, then say so - there's no shame in being laid off, as it's by no fault of your own that the company either couldn't keep the company afloat enough to keep you.

I'd caution you about lying, but you will need to be a bit more professional in how you explain your departure from the other companies. You can still be honest and not say flat out that you were asked to resign or that you were told you were going to be fired so you quit first. Many companies will ask (either in interviews or on applications) your reasons for leaving previous jobs, so be prepared with good answers that will be well received, and/or follow up the answers with something positive about what you've learned from the experience. We've all made mistakes in our lives, personal and professional, but if you learn and grow from it, then those bad things can be turned around into something good.

I did a little googling, and I found a couple good links that might help you with figuring out how to best respond to those "why did you leave your previous employer(s)" questions:
    - quintcareers.com - see questions 8 & 9 on the list.
    - answers.com - see the first answer, it has some good suggestions
    - about.com - good article with lots of suggestions.

I think the most important things to keep in mind are to be honest without divulging too much, don't be negative, and keep it brief and move on to the next topic of discussion.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I'm practically done with this book. I am having a hard time getting interviews, although apparently I do great in them because Im generally hired in the first or second one. For some reason (well, as the job market currentlyt is worldwide I think we shouldnt allow ourselves to not have the slightest edge) I got this book and I think it's wonderful.

Anyone could benefit from reading it. I think most people go unprepared for an interview and lose the chance to a great job because of many avoidable screwups.

The past is only there for us to learn. Guilt is a sack of bricks in a place where you dont need them. Just lay themm down...You spotted a problem that was holding you back, take proper action and move on. Remember there is a time where problems are big enough to be seen, yet small to be solved.

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    AlexMR wrote: »
    I'm practically done with this book.

Good luck.
    Ehm...what book?
  • Options
    Ok just an update still no job yet, but I've been on two interviews within the last week. One today, and the other was Thursday. I read through all the post and tried my best to take all the suggestions. Now, i wait and just keep on applying.

I have a question, is it ok to call and check to see if a decision has been made or is that a no no?
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I would wait a week after the interview if no specific time was given on a decision date.

If they said "we will have a decision by ______", wait till then and then call.

Be proactive, don't just interview and then wait weeks.

Also, the day after the interview, I would email the HR person I interviewed with and thank them for their time. Give a brief reminder that you are excited about the position, and after interviewing there that you feel strongly about your ability to fill that position.

Every job I have interviewed for, I got. So I must be doing something right. icon_wink.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Well guys its getting even harder to keep trying...I still haven't landed a job. I know that its because my last experience was last June but man. I'm trying to do what was suggested, but since my last post i think i've only had one interview.

Would trying to get A+ certified help out a little in this case?
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    just a question. Are you honestly listing your skills on your resume? you mentioned that you were asked to leave because you did not have the right skills. Are you listing that you have certain skills on your resume only to get hired and not be able to do those things? That could explain getting an interview and not being hired. Are there technical interviews that you aren't doing well on?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well guys its getting even harder to keep trying
    And it will get even harder if you stop trying.

What are your skills?
    What is your education?
    What are your certifications?
    Exactly what are you experienced at?

You have gotten calls & interviews, so you're probably doing something right with your resume (unless parts are fiction). You can always post a sanitized version of your resume (no personal information and replace company names with Company A, Company B, FastFood Place 1) if you'd like some feedback. Copy & past into a post and use the preview function before you submit -- and if you have to, clean up the formatting a bit so it's easy to read here.

What kind of jobs are you applying for and where? Are you just hitting up the job board? Newspapers? Craig's list?

Have you opened the phone book and found all the staffing agencies in your area and called to find out if they handle IT positions? Have you put on your interview suit and dropped off your resume (and cover letter) at the most promising staffing agencies? And then drop them off at the other agencies -- you have nothing to lose except a few pieces of paper, some gas, and a little wear & tear on your vehicle. And the people contact can give you a chance to exercise your people skills (which can get rusty if you're not working and interacting with people).

And YES -- you should work on your A+ if you think that will help with your job search. Even if you can't afford the exam right now, studying can help keep you sharp for technical interviews and give you something to mention on your cover letter and give you and an interviewer something to talk about.

Did you work out your "standard answers" to questions about why you left your previous job(s)? Have you practiced them in from of mirror and with a real person playing the role of interviewer? A mean older brother/sister is perfect for this role, especially if they loved to make you cry when you were younger.

You can't change the past, so you can look at everyday as the first day of the rest of your job search. But you want to be working on things that will hopefully make it the last day of your job search.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    just a question. Are you honestly listing your skills on your resume? you mentioned that you were asked to leave because you did not have the right skills. Are you listing that you have certain skills on your resume only to get hired and not be able to do those things? That could explain getting an interview and not being hired. Are there technical interviews that you aren't doing well on?

Yes I feel that I'm honestly listing skills on my resume. When i mentioned that i was asked to leave, that was in 2008. Later that year after being let go, I worked at a Healthcare company that dealt with IT for about a year. Most of what i've learned is from working there.

As far as where I'm applying, i've tried everwhere. I've gone to staffing company's all around and so far they all are empty promises. I had one time where i drove an hour to an interview, only to get there and find out that they just filled the position. Recently, I interviewed with another staffing company and the lady said I'm perfect for the job but It's been two weeks and I haven't heard back from the lady although i've called a couple times to check on it. So, I'm a little wary of "staffing" firms. I have about 10-15 places I check for jobs every day overall.

I think i'll start studying for the A+ and when i get the money(from a temp retail job) i'll take it so atleast I can say I got it recently and show that i'm still up to date.
  • Options
    What are your skills?
    What is your education?
    What are your certifications?
    Exactly what are you experienced at?

I went to college for 5 years(it took me a little while longer) to get my associates degree in Information Technology. I do not currently have any certifications, but I'm gonna try to get my A+ soon. Most of my experience is in working the help desk, whether it be over the phone, using logmein.com, or being in person doing all sorts of things...
  • Options
    I went to college for 5 years(it took me a little while longer) to get my associates degree in Information Technology.
    You don't phrase things like this on interviews, right?

I saw the "5 years" and was thinking "that's not bad or unusual, a bunch of people take 5 years to earn their Bachelors"..... Then I saw you "only" had an Associates.

If you went to school part time while working full time -- which accounts for the 5 years and the degree -- that shows some time management skills and perseverance and dedication.

If you went to a community college for 5 years to earn an associates degree, it sounds like you were a Party major with an Information Technology minor. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You don't phrase things like this on interviews, right?

I saw the "5 years" and was thinking "that's not bad or unusual, a bunch of people take 5 years to earn their Bachelors"..... Then I saw you "only" had an Associates.

I had the exact same reaction to his post.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    No I don't ever word it like that during interviews. I attempted to go to school full time while working part time.

I hope that going 5 years doesn't hurt when on my resume, since you both reacted to it how you did.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you truly have the skills that you are putting on your resume, and your resume is landing you the interviews, then what you need to work on is your interview skills. If they brought you in for the interview, that position is yours to take or lose. You need to go through all the holes in your resume and career that have been brought up and practice communicating them better. Grab a book on how to interview. Go to toastmasters and work on your oratory skills. I get the impression that it is these skills that are holding you back.
  • Options
    Well I have an interview tomorrow at a cable company working in there call center. It's a big opportunity, so I'm hoping I can find a way to explain my resume and career thus far well so I'll have a good chance at getting back into it.
  • Options
    I'm hoping I can find a way to explain my resume
    Nooooooooooooooooo! Don't explain or offer anything beside being excited about the opportunity to be the best <insert job function here>.

You have your AAS. Don't mention how long it took.

You were laid off because a store closed.... end of discussion.

If it comes up why you left the other job -- you were given an opportunity that you weren't ready for, and while you did your best it wasn't enough. Don't mention you left before you could be fired -- it wasn't working, you weren't ready (your weakness if they ask you for one), and you decided to fall back and regroup (rather than redoubling your effort to succeed).

As far as the interviewer is concerned -- this is the opportunity you've been waiting for your entire life.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find myself feeling the exact same way. Recruiters don't call/email back and when you call them, they act aloof or that you are wasting their time. Calling companies to followup on postings and they say no one knows anything, ever. Unclear posting tell you to email people who never contact you back. HR people being all chummy with you, saying that they like you and the interview went great only so say that they think your goals are to aggressive and say you are over qualified for the position and they think you would be bored. Dead end leads. Bad Leads. People wanting you to write code and support servers/desktops, and be a Jr Project manager for 16 dollars an hour. Contract with no benefits and no possibility. Unrealistic expectations and desires. 4 years of exp plus a BS plus certs, for entry level positions. The list goes on.

The job market sucks hard.