Options

Bootcamps

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I might get offered a job next week and after some phone interviews on of the things that they mentioned is that they won't pay for certifications however they will pay for classes/training/bootcamps. Are bootcamps really worth it or are they more for cramming to learn a topic quickly?

I'm trying to decide if this would be a benefit or not to taking the job. As far as I know they would pay for the training class for VCP which is a plus in my book, although I'd like to know if its worth it to take boot camps for things like RHCE and CCIE.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VCP is a different story since the course is a requirement. I personally prefer to do CBTs or read since I can go at my own pace and not have all the material thrown at me in very rapid succession.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    VCP is a different story since the course is a requirement. I personally prefer to do CBTs or read since I can go at my own pace and not have all the material thrown at me in very rapid succession.

I agree. Plus the instructors are usually a lot better on CBTs than in person. The only advantage I see is that you can ask questions directly, but most answers can be found with Google and there are forums like these for those that can't.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    +2. I liken cramming to trying to water really really dry soil - if you flood it with water, only part of it is absorbed and the rest just rolls right off. If you water it a bit at a time, it will absorb much more water.

To each their own, but give me single cups of water one at a time over a gallon any day...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm actually similar to what everyone is mentioning, reading and CBT self study and then take the exam. I guess I could always study on my own and then use the classes as a last minute test/refresh before sitting for big exams like RHCE.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm actually similar to what everyone is mentioning, reading and CBT self study and then take the exam. I guess I could always study on my own and then use the classes as a last minute test/refresh before sitting for big exams like RHCE.
    For the RHCE you might be able to get the company to pay for the RH301 course (versus RH300), which includes the exam. Or maybe you could pay the difference and save $300 or so on the exam.
    I personally prefer to do CBTs or read since I can go at my own pace and not have all the material thrown at me in very rapid succession.
    Same here, although I don't really use CBTs that much. I've done one boot camp and barely retained anything, so I wouldn't want to do one again unless I was almost ready for the relevant exam.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV