Duplicate Screen Question

1.) How do I setup a dual screen mode so that they are mirrored? The same on both monitors?

I need a step by step process please and thank you. This is for study habits & documentation.. Thanks!

2.) Does it make a difference whether you have a splittler cable or dual VGI cables?

Comments

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    I dont think you can mirror natively in windows xp, although vga card software by nvidia and ati normally give you the option, as you suggest a splitter cable may well be a good alternative but when users have asked for these I have noticed the screen quality drops a little (mostly they just get darker).

A dual head card would be the best way to go but if your machine does not currently support it then splitter cable would be the cheapest I guess.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    dales wrote: »
    I dont think you can mirror natively in windows xp, although vga card software by nvidia and ati normally give you the option, as you suggest a splitter cable may well be a good alternative but when users have asked for these I have noticed the screen quality drops a little (mostly they just get darker).

A dual head card would be the best way to go but if your machine does not currently support it then splitter cable would be the cheapest I guess.

I see he didn't bother to reply to you attempt at help for the same post I assisted with on the A+ forum.

Oh well...one thing about your answer though. Windows XP does offer this natively, doesn't it? If you hook up a 2nd monitor via a cable splitter it will just mirror the display on the second monitor, doesn't matter what drivers or gpu you are using when you use a splitter I don't believe.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    TB fair I did only post a reply to the thread this afternoon so its still all gravy as far as I see it.

I guess you could call that native to the hardware rather than native to xp, if you just used a cable splitter then you could say its native to linux/solaris/netware and windows too, its just a basic hardward trick thats all. Only problem with that was I have seen a marked loss of colour and quality of the signal cause its splitting the signal in half.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Using a spliter or split VGA cable will show degradation in signal and quality. And the cables often go bad.

XP only extends, natively. But an add on video card almost guarantees the ability to clone displays.