are ccnp jobs in demand

jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm almost done studing for my ccna. I was wondering if ccnp jobs are in demand. Have you that completed your ccna be able to get job interviews?

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Depends on your experience, and also it's a lot to do with your location.

The CCNA should open up some doors for you. The CCNP will open up more doors, and should net a higher salary.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Networking jobs are in demand from what I can tell. The CCNP will definitely help your chances to get one, but its not something that will land you a job just by having those four letters on your resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    good network engineers are always in demand, so it's a good idea to make as many contacts as possible (which seems pretty obvious for a network guy, we know the value of communication!), but if you're just going to go off the job sites and the like, in my area at least, it's mostly contract work, and very little of it seems advertised as contract-to-hire. Which is not a bad prospect if you've got your finances in order and can live occasionally being out of work.

I need to meet some folk that can get me hired down in Florida, I'd love to move back to the Tampa area. That or Tennessee. I could double my salary with one phone call, I'd just have to move to Texas to do it hehe
    good network engineers are always in demand, so it's a good idea to make as many contacts as possible (which seems pretty obvious for a network guy, we know the value of communication!), but if you're just going to go off the job sites and the like, in my area at least, it's mostly contract work, and very little of it seems advertised as contract-to-hire. Which is not a bad prospect if you've got your finances in order and can live occasionally being out of work.

I need to meet some folk that can get me hired down in Florida, I'd love to move back to the Tampa area. That or Tennessee. I could double my salary with one phone call, I'd just have to move to Texas to do it hehe

You're from Tampa? That's where I grew up. If you're interested in Orlando I can let you know if any openings come up with my company.
  • yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    It depends on your experience, location, and economy. In the current state of our economy I wouldn't say any profession is in high demand, obviously. I think if you stay away from major tech areas like the Bay Area/Silicon Valley you would be better off. There is a lot of competition right now.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    You're from Tampa? That's where I grew up. If you're interested in Orlando I can let you know if any openings come up with my company.

More or less. I'm a yankee by birth, but we left Michigan when I was 6 years old, so I did most of my growing up in Clearwater. Moved to Georiga in my early 20's, been here for close to 14 years now, and I'm seriously over Atlanta. I still have alot of friends down in the Bay area, and friends and family are the only reason I haven't already relocated out of this state. Tennessee (well, Chattanooga really) and Florida are my first choices for relocation, because I know folks in the area.

The fact that neither state has an income tax doesn't hurt either.

And yeah, if you hear of anything, I wouldn't mind seeing something pop up in my PM inbox hehe
    More or less. I'm a yankee by birth, but we left Michigan when I was 6 years old, so I did most of my growing up in Clearwater. Moved to Georiga in my early 20's, been here for close to 14 years now, and I'm seriously over Atlanta. I still have alot of friends down in the Bay area, and friends and family are the only reason I haven't already relocated out of this state. Tennessee (well, Chattanooga really) and Florida are my first choices for relocation, because I know folks in the area.

The fact that neither state has an income tax doesn't hurt either.

And yeah, if you hear of anything, I wouldn't mind seeing something pop up in my PM inbox hehe

No state income tax is very, very nice. I was in SC for awhile, which costs me an extra 7% per year.icon_sad.gif

The job market down here isn't great, Orlando or Tampa. I've been with my company for about 10 months and I've been looking for another job almost the whole time, lol. I was looking at Atlanta, the cost of living is low and there seem to be a good amount of jobs. I'm buying a house now though, so I'm stuck here for a couple years at least.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I was looking in Johnson City TN but there seems to be slim pickings in that area. I like TN because the cost of living is so low. My father in law has a place twice the size of mine for less than what I'm paying.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    No state income tax is very, very nice. I was in SC for awhile, which costs me an extra 7% per year.icon_sad.gif

The job market down here isn't great, Orlando or Tampa. I've been with my company for about 10 months and I've been looking for another job almost the whole time, lol. I was looking at Atlanta, the cost of living is low and there seem to be a good amount of jobs. I'm buying a house now though, so I'm stuck here for a couple years at least.

The cost of living depends entirely on where you live hehe. I live about 30 miles north of the city, and yeah, it's cheap enough that I can live on half of what I make.

I was toying with the idea of buying a house last year with the tax credit in effect, but decided against it. I'm reasonably sure I'll be changing jobs within the next 2 to 3 years, and I'm reasonably sure I'll be leaving the state when I do so, so buying didn't make any sense. I wouldn't have any equity after that short a time, so I figured I might as well just keep renting.
    The cost of living depends entirely on where you live hehe. I live about 30 miles north of the city, and yeah, it's cheap enough that I can live on half of what I make.

I was toying with the idea of buying a house last year with the tax credit in effect, but decided against it. I'm reasonably sure I'll be changing jobs within the next 2 to 3 years, and I'm reasonably sure I'll be leaving the state when I do so, so buying didn't make any sense. I wouldn't have any equity after that short a time, so I figured I might as well just keep renting.

Yea, I'm buying now mostly for the $8k. I figure if something happens and I HAVE to move I can rent it out or something. There are some jobs around here, but not enough to make me feel comfortable.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Only jobs in my area are for Senior Network Design Engineers and there is one post for a company who are an ISP who want 7200 experience icon_sad.gif
  • S0cratesS0crates Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Small world. I'm from the Bradenton/Sarasota area and currently live and work in Orlando as well.

Most of my previous work has been in network and server administration, along with assorted software development. But for the past year or so, I've been trying to make the switch to network engineering. Unfortunately, it seems that people either want someone with more specialized, network engineering experience or don't want to pay.

After completing the CCNA Security a few months back, I'm in final preparation for the CCNA Voice. After that, I'll be busting tail on the CCNP which should hopefully open some doors for me. icon_smile.gif

ColbyG, so about those openings at your company. icon_razz.gif
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    You can check this place out. It may give you an idea of the market in your area.

ComputerJobs.com - Tech Jobs for IT Pros