CME Config

Before I start with my question, I have been working withthe Cisco Docs, and I am a bit confused. I have several study books on order, but they will not arrive for several days.

Within the CME GUI, when configuring Extensions, we have the ability to configure a "Secondary" number. What does this "buy" us. What is the purpose, how does this work?

What I have is 3 7910 Phones on my voice network. These are one button phones. I have them working internally (office VoIP) and with a single POTS line. I have added a 2nd line (Majic Jack Phone #) to the mix.

Originally, I had the following config for the FXO port for line 1

voice-port 2/0
signal groundStart
connection plar opx 1000
!

and

ephone-dn 6
number 1000
label Inbound Line 1
description Inbound Line 1
name Inbound Line 1
preference 0 secondary 1
hold-alert 30 originator

!
ephone 2
mac-address 0004.4D07.647C
speed-dial 1 1001 label "John"
speed-dial 2 7095 label "Cordless Phone"
type 7910
button 1:2 2f6 {2f6 references ephone-dn 6}
!

and everything worked

Afterwards, I added the second line
!
voice-port 2/1
signal groundStart
connection plar opx 1100

SO, the question becomes, How can I get hte 2 lines to ring on all 3 phones? Do I set up an additional ephone-dn for extension 1100 and reference this as the secondary # on the existing ephone-dn(s) or just reference the opx extension as the secondary #?

Or, is there another method to handle multiple incoming lines to enable pickup from selected phones?

John
John
Current Progress:
Studying:
CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
Exams Passed:
CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
2011 Goals
CCNP/CCNP:Voice

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Before I start with my question, I have been working withthe Cisco Docs, and I am a bit confused. I have several study books on order, but they will not arrive for several days.

Within the CME GUI, when configuring Extensions, we have the ability to configure a "Secondary" number. What does this "buy" us. What is the purpose, how does this work?

What I have is 3 7910 Phones on my voice network. These are one button phones. I have them working internally (office VoIP) and with a single POTS line. I have added a 2nd line (Majic Jack Phone #) to the mix.

Originally, I had the following config for the FXO port for line 1

voice-port 2/0
    signal groundStart
    connection plar opx 1000
    !

and

ephone-dn 6
    number 1000
    label Inbound Line 1
    description Inbound Line 1
    name Inbound Line 1
    preference 0 secondary 1
    hold-alert 30 originator

!
    ephone 2
    mac-address 0004.4D07.647C
    speed-dial 1 1001 label "John"
    speed-dial 2 7095 label "Cordless Phone"
    type 7910
    button 1:2 2f6 {2f6 references ephone-dn 6}
    !

and everything worked

Afterwards, I added the second line
    !
    voice-port 2/1
    signal groundStart
    connection plar opx 1100

SO, the question becomes, How can I get hte 2 lines to ring on all 3 phones? Do I set up an additional ephone-dn for extension 1100 and reference this as the secondary # on the existing ephone-dn(s) or just reference the opx extension as the secondary #?

Or, is there another method to handle multiple incoming lines to enable pickup from selected phones?

John
    Investigate the "overlay" button type, it may give you what you want.

Create ephone-dns for both your incoming lines then reference them using the overlay button command, so for phone 1 you could have

Button 1o1,10,11
    Phone 2
    Button 1o2,10,11
    Phone 3
    Button 1o3,10,11

Where dn's 1,2 & 3 are the dedicated dns for the threee phones and an 10 & 11 are for the incoming lines.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Investigate the "overlay" button type, it may give you what you want.

Create ephone-dns for both your incoming lines then reference them using the overlay button command, so for phone 1 you could have

Button 1o1,10,11
    Phone 2
    Button 1o2,10,11
    Phone 3
    Button 1o3,10,11

Where dn's 1,2 & 3 are the dedicated dns for the three phones and 10 & 11 are for the incoming lines.

Thanks Mike! Setting up the overlay button type as you suggested solved the problem.

I am working on two other issues now.

1) Transferring inbound calls to our cordless phone connected to an FXS port. I am able to make calls from the FXS port to an outside #, call all the internal extensions and transfer internal calls coming to the the FXS port from one internal (IP) extension to another (IP) extension. When an incoming POTS call is picked up on one of the IP Phones, I can transfer the call to one of the other 2 IP phones without issues, but I try to transfer the call to the FXS port it gives a busy signal on the first digit dialed.

2) I have been playing with this "Majic Jack" line (Line 2) for about a week now. Voice quality appears good, but sometimes, my FXO port is attached to does not sense the call. Unplugging the line from the FXO port and re-plugging seems to take care of the issue. I have played with signal type, groundStart and loopStart, makes no difference. it seems as though the FXO port is either not getting the proper disconnect signal from the Majic Jack, or there is something to do with the on-hook, off-hook levels.

My wife is on me like ugly on a truck load of apes to get this going for hericon_redface.gif

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    "
    Thanks Mike! Setting up the overlay button type as you suggested solved the problem.

I am working on two other issues now.

1) Transferring inbound calls to our cordless phone connected to an FXS port. I am able to make calls from the FXS port to an outside #, call all the internal extensions and transfer internal calls coming to the the FXS port from one internal (IP) extension to another (IP) extension. When an incoming POTS call is picked up on one of the IP Phones, I can transfer the call to one of the other 2 IP phones without issues, but I try to transfer the call to the FXS port it gives a busy signal on the first digit dialed.
    Transferring out of the phone system is disabled by default to help stop toll fraud. Look at the "transfer pattern" command to enable it for certain numbers / extensions.

I guess CME treats FXO/FXS ports external to the system i.e. they are configured as a dial-peer
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route