JNCIE Case Studies Prepared by me during my studies

hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
Hi Guys,

I think this was long overdue from me... I had earlier promised JNCIP case studies but I was too interested in getting my JNCIE studies going on... hence I never came out with the JNCIP case studies... I wanted to be sure it would at least be 50% useful to the people here...

So when preparing for my JNCIE I thought my case studies would be atleast 50% useful now, I picked some topics questions from the AVPN class, some from the AJNR questions and some ideas trolling around the j-nsp forum... So yeah its not like an original work... But things that I liked and thought I could incorporate into my network that's what I put in...

For the labs it is still work in progress...For both case studies that I prepared the IGP/BGP solution is the same... Well I thought I got most of what I could get out of my limited 7 routers...

MPLS was some nice readup's... Hopefully its helpful... Many questions are from the AVPN/AJNR class and some I read through the j-nsp forum..

VPN's again some pretty nice stuff... The internet access questions are from the VPN software configuration guide.. a must read... I tried mixing most thing in those two case studies.. So hopefully you guys like it...

One thing here... I don't have too many external routers... So the caveat here is that once you would start the VPN configuration.. the EBGP that was built before becomes irrelevant... All EBGP peers become CE's in my topology.. This is only due to lack of equipment..but if you guys have more equipment please go ahead and separate the VPN's from the EBGP peers..

I have no IPv6, CoS or Firewall questions in my case studies... But a another forum commented on these being less important... CoS would not work on my Jseries so not included here... Firewall is just annoying to me.. So skipped that part...Plus some Firewall features don't work on J-Series...

Well mostly it's just fun to share stuff with all... Hopefully you guys like it..I will upload the case studies and solutions.. But do remember all the caveats I mentioned above while referencing my solutions.. :)

Case Studies & Solutions...

Google Docs

Cheers
Hoogen
IS-IS Sleeps.
BGP peers are quiet.
Something must be wrong.

Comments

• seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Thanks for the share, Hoogen!!
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • zrchengzrcheng Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice, let me test them, thanks :)
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Beautiful! Makes me wish I held on to the stuff I made when I was studying for the JNCIE-M. I've looked and looked for that old stuff and I seriously have no idea where I put it. Granted that was a couple of computers ago so I'm sure it's lost somewhere.

But nice job on these case studies, I'm sure alot of people will find them very handy icon_thumright.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • densmadensma Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice. i will be joining you soon :)
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Well the above labs do have some solution changes in between... But there is not much difference... If any of you guys have a problem do let me know... I did test most solutions on the box... And somethings have two ways of doing it.. Especially when involving RR in the topology... So happy labbing guys... It would be great to know how much you guys rate them on a scale of 1-10 in terms of difficulty... :)

Aldur...It would be great if you could just post random questions that lie on back of your head... Would be a helpful addition to the questions that I have...

Densma.. have you got your JNCIP?? I did see that you were doing EBGP scenario's the last time you posted here...

Cheers,
    Hoogen
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • densmadensma Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my lab is next month but will start JNCIE right way hoping my JNCIP will be one attempt
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    Densma.. have you got your JNCIP?? I did see that you were doing EBGP scenario's the last time you posted here...

Cheers,
    Hoogen
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks Hoogen for taking the time to do this. These look great.

Gee I forget how fast Google seems to be taking over the net with goodies for on-line collaboration. No wonder MS is bugged by them. That would have been an attached word file not long ago. Time to look at Google more, behind again sigh.

Thanks again.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    Guys any feedback... I was reading some chapters again... seems like some solutions I had done for the above scenario's could have been done differently... Would be nice to discuss things

1. I wrote a policy to export DC routes from R3 and R4 into their ebgp peers... the book has a solution of using the advertise-inactive keyword...
    2. I saw some issues with mpls vpn questions.. I did some hacks to get it working.. Did someone try out those questions..

Any feedback on the MPLS/VPN questions would be great...

Cheers,
    Hoogen
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • zrchengzrcheng Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    trying to mix my olive and the J-router, whats your vpn question?
    L2VPN.. when you do it..in the case study 1 you would notice some problems because of the way confederations are setup... I did a hack to get it working... Looking forward to see how others get their solutions...

Cheers,
    Hoogen
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    There was a isis design issue I suppose which affect R7 and R6 when R4 or R3 respectively blank out... The issue is that since in this topology I use the same ISIS area 49.0001 .. the R7 and R6 are also L2/L1 routers.. but for example if R4 router goes down.. R7 doesn't have any L2 link... and since all other routers are in the same area it does not inject the default route... So as you would think there is no way I can reach R3...To compound this during the BGP internal 10/16 adv I induced it in more edge routers.. I think that is a not the right in this situation.. What I did in a new solution is to introduce the 10/16 on R5.. now when R4 is lost.. R7 still has 10/16 route to get to R5 which solves the issue..

I saw issue when I initially had R5 loopback as ISIS l2 only... due to which R7 doesn't receive loopback of R5 when R4 goes down.ebgp peering lost.... I think this solution is better that the previous solution I uploaded...

Cheers,
    Hoogen
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Saher YoussefSaher Youssef Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear Hoogan

MY JNCIE exam is tomorrow !!!
    Thanks for the share,
    it was really benefecial. I have tried both case studies and everything went well.
    I only had one question, in case study-1, i did not get the question where is is requested to make a VPN while customer is having a backdoor link and they need to use the VPN once it is UP

1-Sham Link configuration, why it is under the VRF?
    2-how did you influence the CE's to use the VPN once it is UP

PLease illustrate this part

Thanks again and for urgency (EXAM is tomorrow) please send me the reply as well on my email
    eng_sahersamir@hotmail.com

Cheers
    Sorry about that... I have been busy lately and do not visit the site that often...

What do you mean by sham link under vrf.... aren't we creating VPN's here..
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Saher YoussefSaher Youssef Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yesssss.... Finally JNCIE-M&T
    I have passed my JNCIE-M/T exam ....!!!!!!!!!! just recieve the mail
    Thanks for all the members, thanks Hoogen for the Case Studies, Thanks all for the useful discussions in the forum.

Good Luck for all you are purchasing Juniper Certification

Saher Youssef
    Eng_sahersamir@hotmil.com
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Sweet! icon_cheers.gif Good Job on the pass!!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • sharbsharb Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Hoogen,

Thanks for posting the case studies. Looking at the list of the requirement, do you remember what specific requirement was the cause of configuring "icmp-tunneling" under MPLS?

Thanks,
    Reza
    I used J-Series for my lab... and icmp-tunneling helped in a way to see all the labels... Instead of just seeing stars when performing traceroutes.
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    Ok, I see what you mean. It is not based on any specific requirement. When you enable ICMP tunneling, you can see the lables at every single hop. I am also using J-series

Reza
  • octobrazoctobraz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    L2VPN.. when you do it..in the case study 1 you would notice some problems because of the way confederations are setup... I did a hack to get it working... Looking forward to see how others get their solutions...

Cheers,
    Hoogen

Hi Hoogen,

I have been cracking my head at the L2VPN scenario in CS1 and its giving me a headache...
    I keep have the VC-Dn flags and not been able to successfully troubleshoot it.Please save me man..share the hack.

Thanks
  • octobrazoctobraz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been able to get my L2VPNs working...

Thanks
    octobraz wrote: »
    Hi Hoogen,

I have been cracking my head at the L2VPN scenario in CS1 and its giving me a headache...
    I keep have the VC-Dn flags and not been able to successfully troubleshoot it.Please save me man..share the hack.

Thanks
    Sorry abt the delayed reply.. I have been on a vacation... Actually quite close to your place... Tanzania...

Good to know that it worked for you...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    Hoogen,

Thank you very much for the case studies you posted. It really helped me a lot. I passed the JNCIE:D

Thanks again
    Reza
  • salah94salah94 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing !
  • Jhon ArthurJhon Arthur Banned Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great Job. Thanks for share the nice information