Options

XP Just Freezes on Repair

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
User went to do a repair of XP. System gets to 27 minutes left, and then does nothing, zip, nadda. XP screen changes the usual text, but the computer will not get past 27 minutes.

There is information I need to pull off this machine, anyone have an idea on why this would hang at this particular moment?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Yank the drive and plug it into a working box to get your data off.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can also boot to a linux live CD that can read NTFS partitions and transfer the data to a USB drive or an external hard drive.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Identify the source of the issue using UBCD live-disc or a built-in BIOS diagnostic tool to check the RAM and hard drive. If it's hanging just because of a bad stick of RAM, easy solution.

If the hard drive is failing, good luck. :3
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    one more simple thing to try is another CD...unlikely, but it's an easy thing to try, I've had this make a difference in the past.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Along the same lines of Linux Live CD, you could also try BartPE CD as well to copy data off the disk.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Corrupt drivers most likely. Especially if you have some antivirus that likes to put in their own network drivers for example Panda. If you pull up a command prompt and check the logs you'll see specifically where it is hanging up. Probably best off either yanking the drive and pulling the data or doing a parallel install to get the data off, then doing a fresh install.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/