Options

Large Canadian telecom cutting IT jobs

Why are they picking on IT guys to cut costs?

CBC News - Nova Scotia - Bell Aliant cutting IT positions

I hope this doesn't set a precedence for other companies to follow suit.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Why are they picking on IT guys to cut costs?
    Doesn't sound like they are, they had already cut another 1000 people.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As long as I've been in IT (20+ years) there has been a constant back and forth between outsourcing and insourcing.

The one other constant is that business continues and people are still needed to do various jobs.

MS
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It takes a year to outsource it, another year or three to decide that was a bad idea, another year or two to insource it, a few years to realize it's not cost effective to keep in house, a year to decide to outsource it, yet another year to actually outsource it again... repeat ad nauseam ;)
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Being canadian and having dealt with bell for years i expect nothing less. They're a horrible company from the top down. I'm surprised they actually have any canadian workers it's been outsourced to india for years. The only reason they're in business is because they have a goverment supplied monopoly of parts of canada. Overpriced garbage is what they ram down our throats in this country.

Atleast cgi has a ton of canadian workers so odds are those jobs won't be going anywhere.