Linux+ in the coming months

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    maumercado wrote: »
    I would be studying for Linux+ but since CompTIA's certificate now expires it justs makes no sense...

I think is better to go for LPI or RHCT and RHCE, dont you think?

Did you hear the news about that?

Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

For the record, Linux+ was never on the expire list.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I would be studying for Linux+ but since CompTIA's certificate now expires it justs makes no sense...

I think is better to go for LPI or RHCT and RHCE, dont you think?

The present certificate holders for CompTIA certs, are now holders of lifetime certifications.
    The word came out today, and I just received an email to this effect myself.

After January 1, 2011, all who receive a new CompTIA A+, Network+, or Security+ certificate will receive a certifciate that expires in 3 years if there is not some renewal action followed. But, If you hold one of these certs now, it never expires. So far, nothing has been said about the Linux+, or any other CompTIA certificate, only the 3 I named.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    knwminus wrote: »
    Did you hear the news about that?

Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

For the record, Linux+ was never on the expire list.

hhehehe I was about to post that..

Well linux+ it is... and then LPI hehee
    hhehehe I was about to post that..

Well linux+ it is... and then LPI hehee

Cool. When are you starting?
  • colt8931colt8931 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just bought the Syngress Comptia Linux+ Certification Study Guide (Exam XK0-003) Brian Barber and Cbt Nuggets Intermediate to Advanced Linux Series video. I'm hoping to study about 3-4 hours daily and hopefully be ready by the end of March.

Good luck to all.
    colt8931 wrote: »
    I just bought the Syngress Comptia Linux+ Certification Study Guide (Exam XK0-003) Brian Barber and Cbt Nuggets Intermediate to Advanced Linux Series video. I'm hoping to study about 3-4 hours daily and hopefully be ready by the end of March.

Good luck to all.

We have the very same material (even down to the CBT nuggets) and around the same test dates. Cool, and good luck to you.
  • Linux00800Linux00800 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I Purchased the Syngress Comptia Linux+ Certification Study Guide (Exam XK0-003) Brian Barber awhile back and purchased Linux + 11th hour a week ago. I also have been going to college taking various linux classes. I read the syngress book for days back and forth and used VBOX for a playground to practice linux (Fedora and OpenSuse). I also purchased CBT nuggets which I have been enjoying and it doesn't put me to sleep like the rest. I wanted to go take my CompTIA Linux + exam this past Wednesday, But the XK0-003 is not available yet. icon_sad.gif

So I continue to study Linux and the LPIC Exam Cram book in the meantime.icon_study.gif

Good luck to all!

-L8
    Linux00800 wrote: »
    I Purchased the Syngress Comptia Linux+ Certification Study Guide (Exam XK0-003) Brian Barber awhile back and purchased Linux + 11th hour a week ago. I also have been going to college taking various linux classes. I read the syngress book for days back and forth and used VBOX for a playground to practice linux (Fedora and OpenSuse). I also purchased CBT nuggets which I have been enjoying and it doesn't put me to sleep like the rest. I wanted to go take my CompTIA Linux + exam this past Wednesday, But the XK0-003 is not available yet. icon_sad.gif

So I continue to study Linux and the LPIC Exam Cram book in the meantime.icon_study.gif

Good luck to all!

-L8

The syngress book seems to be picking up steam, hopefully we will see some passes within the next few months. Good luck to you.
  • Linux00800Linux00800 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The syngress book seems to be picking up steam, hopefully we will see some passes within the next few months. Good luck to you.

It seems this is the only book available for XK0-003 at present time. I like the book, just hope it helps out a lot with the test. But I have been using plenty of different books and references through out the past year, as well as some courses. Will keep everyone posted.

This book is here now. I saved 25 dollars by getting it used and it looks great. I plan to start my linux studies this weekend but it will be secondary studies, at least until feb 9th when I kill the CCNA:S. At any rate the gang is all here so No more excuses. Anyone else going for this?
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I need to do linux+ but after CCNA:S I will shut windows 7 to complete my MCSA 2003
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

impelse wrote: »
    I need to do linux+ but after CCNA:S I will shut windows 7 to complete my MCSA 2003

290 291 680 are my plans for the MCSA. Are you going to go for the MCSA:S?
    Nop, just the MCSA and Linux+, after that I am not sure about CCSP or CEH

Nop, just the MCSA and Linux+, after that I am not sure about CCSP or CEH

Cool. I plan to do what is in my sig (thanks to some added responsibilities from the higher ups at work).

May I ask what kind of work you are doing just curious.
    Network admin for a small company. So I have to have differents hats.

Network admin for a small company. So I have to have differents hats.

Cool. I would like to be a network admin but I know I need to work my way up. That is why I want to earn my MCSA this year, not because of the fact that I want to be a MS jockey but because I want to get my resume out their for Network Tech roles.
    I thinks it is much better to work at the beginning with a small company because you can work with anything and it is not mission critical.

I thinks it is much better to work at the beginning with a small company because you can work with anything and it is not mission critical.

Well I basically don't get to work with anything. The company I work for only lets us clear counters and run most show commands. icon_sad.gif When I was hired I was told we would be assisting with server roll outs, provisioning routers and that kind of stuff but we are basically glorified ticket makers icon_sad.gif. But I am happy to be employed, it just makes me feel useless and makes me feel like I am not gaining any skills.
    Keep going, after your CCNA:S and the linux+ that you will make you will be in a good shape to land a more active job

Keep going, after your CCNA:S and the linux+ that you will make you will be in a good shape to land a more active job

Thanks. We will see. This is going to be very difficult year or me (cert wise) but hopefully it will pay off with knowledge and a new job/role.
    I have decided to move forward with my studies, despite some colorful events....

My initial goals for the next day or so are as follows

Update Ubuntu Desktop to 9.10 [ Done ]
    Install CentOS (this is turning into a timely task by itself, 6 iso files yuck....)
    - Configure as Radius Server
    - Configure as Syslog Server
    Read chapter 2 of Linux+ Guide
    Complete Second set of Linux+ CBTs

Other goals maybe added as time goes on. Any one else moving forward with the Linux+
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I have decided to move forward with my studies, despite some colorful events....

My initial goals for the next day or so are as follows

Update Ubuntu Desktop to 9.10 [ Done ]
    Install CentOS (this is turning into a timely task by itself, 6 iso files yuck....)
    - Configure as Radius Server
    - Configure as Syslog Server
    Read chapter 2 of Linux+ Guide
    Complete Second set of Linux+ CBTs

Other goals maybe added as time goes on. Any one else moving forward with the Linux+

Oh yes. Moving along with the CBT Nuggets lessons, and reviewing it all on Fedora and Debian boxes on a daily basis.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks like I might be getting my RHCT first as I may have a free voucher coming my way.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can do a minimal install with only CD1, then when it's up and running add additional software directly from the repositories. Most the stuff on the extra CDs won't need to be installed, and anything extra you install will likely be out of date and need to be updated immediately, so this saves a lot of download time. This is good practice, too.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    You can do a minimal install with only CD1, then when it's up and running add additional software directly from the repositories. Most the stuff on the extra CDs won't need to be installed, and anything extra you install will likely be out of date and need to be updated immediately, so this saves a lot of download time. This is good practice, too.

Oh darn icon_redface.gif Well I downloaded everything so I guess that is something I will need to keep in mind for next time. I was more than a little pissed to find out that you cannot install directly from the live cd (without some *nix-fu on the disc) so I was like whatever. Oh well.
    I was gone all day yesterday so I was only able to get back to this a few hours ago. I have Centos Installed and my next step is to get it set up for remote administration (ssh or vnc), ntp, set up as a radius server/syslog server and set up for file sharing. I eventually want to set up NIS and have another one of my machines as a domain controller but that is the future.

Today I need to make it through the first few linux+ cbt nuggets and chapter 2 of the sygress linux+ guide
    So knwminus, what book are you using for Linux+, for moment I want to delay windows 7 and pursuit Linux+.

I am not in a harry fro Windows 7

• CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    I will be gutted if the Linux+ is on a 3 year renewal basis icon_sad.gif (yet to be confirmed !!??), this is the first cert that i am going for. Have got the Syngress Comptia Linux+ Certification Study Guide (Exam XK0-003) Brian Barber and read it from back to front and reviewed all sections and done all questions over and over with a decent success rate. *Note* for anyone that is buying the book, i found lots of misprints in the book so be careful.

Can anyone recommend any other recources for the XK0-003 ??

I keep waiting for the Comptia Linux+ Study Guide: 2009 to be released but it keeps getting delayed !

My First post btw.
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have got the Syngress Comptia Linux+ Certification Study Guide (Exam XK0-003) Brian Barber and read it from back to front and reviewed all sections and done all questions over and over with a decent success rate. *Note* for anyone that is buying the book, i found lots of misprints in the book so be careful.

Can anyone recommend any other recources for the XK0-003 ??

I keep waiting for the Comptia Linux+ Study Guide: 2009 to be released but it keeps getting delayed !
    It sounds like you have done a lot already. I'd say practice the lab scenarios in the book to reinforce what you've learned.
    My First post btw.
    Welcome!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    So knwminus, what book are you using for Linux+, for moment I want to delay windows 7 and pursuit Linux+.

I am not in a harry fro Windows 7

Amazon.com: CompTIA Linux+ Certification Study Guide: Exam XK0-003 (9781597494823): Brian Barber, Kevin Riggins, Chris Happel, Terrence V. Lillard, Graham Speake: Books

I have barely cracked the book.