Finishing lab, need some insight

JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all. Great site.

I have been doing a lot of research here, going through pages and pages of searches and countless topics for creating a CCNA lab. I am trying to get everything right as I feel a little blindsided to the fact that I am new to cisco equipment it sorta bothers me when I am trying to purchase everything.

Anyways, after doing research I have purchased the following:

(2) 2620XMs
(2) 2950s
(1) 2610 with a NM-4A/S to act as a frame relay switch
(2) 2524s (I read that even though the 2500s are pretty much being phased out, they are good to use in a frame relay scheme. Plus they were cheap)

As that is said and done, and the more research I am seeing I do have a question. Will I need WIC-1Ts in the 2620XMs?

I wish I had the lab book in front of me so I can go through the configuration, but I am waiting for that to come in. I just want to make sure I have everything before I get to work, and not have to wait for a part to come in to do something.

If there is anything missing from above please do let me know. Also, I know this is a n00bish question but better ask now then find out later - for the 2610 to connect to the 2500s will I be able to use a db60 to db15 or is there a module for the 2500s? Eck, I am sure after learning more I will be regretting that question!

Thanks for all the info, this site is really really useful!
-Jon
Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The 2620XM's come with a 100mb ethernet port, two WAN slots, and one NM slot. The WIC-1T's go in the WAN slots...or in an NM module if you get one (ie: NM-2E2W..has 2 ethernet ports and two WAN slots...so you could put a WIC-1T in there). I would just buy a couple of WIC-1T's, since you have a built in ethernet port.

What kind of topology are you trying to setup? Getting one WIC-1T would allow you to connect the 2620's to your frame switch via DB60 DTE/DCE cables, but if you want to connect them to anything else you'll obviously need more WIC-1T's.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    The 2620XM's come with a 100mb ethernet port, two WAN slots, and one NM slot. The WIC-1T's go in the WAN slots...or in an NM module if you get one (ie: NM-2E2W..has 2 ethernet ports and two WAN slots
    The combo NMs that provide multiple kinds of slots or interfaces do not work in the 2600/2600XM routers. It isn't a listed as not compatible but works anyway thing either like the FE only NMs.
    tiersten wrote: »
    The combo NMs that provide multiple kinds of slots or interfaces do not work in the 2600/2600XM routers. It isn't a listed as not compatible but works anyway thing either like the FE only NMs.

Wow, really? Didn't know that. I have a NM-1E2W in my 2611XM, but I hadn't had the need to put in a WIC-1T and test it..interesting though :)
    Wow, really? Didn't know that. I have a NM-1E2W in my 2611XM, but I hadn't had the need to put in a WIC-1T and test it..interesting though :)
    Weird. Thats odd if so. They're not detected by the 2600/2600XM IOS. Does it show up when you do a show diag?
    tiersten wrote: »
    Weird. Thats odd if so. They're not detected by the 2600/2600XM IOS. Does it show up when you do a show diag?

Sorry, what I meant was, it's "in" the 2611XM, but I hadn't had to use it yet. I'm glad you mentioned that, because it does show up in a show diag, although it shows disabled, and the interfaces don't show up in any other config. I had thrown it in there because it was extra, but I guess it'll get inherited to one of the 3640's.
    Sorry, what I meant was, it's "in" the 2611XM, but I hadn't had to use it yet. I'm glad you mentioned that, because it does show up in a show diag, although it shows disabled, and the interfaces don't show up in any other config. I had thrown it in there because it was extra, but I guess it'll get inherited to one of the 3640's.
    Ahh okay. I thought it was partially working or something :)

It isn't a hardware limitation that is stopping the 2600/2600XM from supporting the combo NMs. The only reason seems to be that the drivers necessary just aren't included in the 2600/2600XM IOS build for reasons of product differentiation against the 3600 series.
  • JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 2620XM's come with a 100mb ethernet port, two WAN slots, and one NM slot. The WIC-1T's go in the WAN slots...or in an NM module if you get one (ie: NM-2E2W..has 2 ethernet ports and two WAN slots...so you could put a WIC-1T in there). I would just buy a couple of WIC-1T's, since you have a built in ethernet port.

What kind of topology are you trying to setup? Getting one WIC-1T would allow you to connect the 2620's to your frame switch via DB60 DTE/DCE cables, but if you want to connect them to anything else you'll obviously need more WIC-1T's.

Thanks so much for the information! After doing more research here as well, I opted to get WIC-2Ts for each 2620 so I can at least have two ports instead of getting two WIC-1Ts per device.

As far as the topology I am not to sure yet, at first I plan on trying different scenarios and playing around to see what the configs show. Pretty much I will be going off the workbook labs I have. I chose the devices I got after reading about so many members labs, and the advice for them.

To be honest before I started looking on creating a lab, I was looking at the pre-made labs, which were pricey. I am glad I opted to do research because now I know a little bit about each device and their modules. In the end it was a little costly after said and done (including throwing a rack in there) but the price compared to a pre-made kit at the same price, well a custom built lab had a hell of a lot better equipment. Hell, the pre-mades had 2924 switches in them.

Thanks for all the info everyone, this is a great site!

I am also taking a CCNA class at my college, which does offer access to their equipment but only during lab lab time (figure an hour maybe?) and I rather have access anytime to go above and beyond what the class has to offer.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)