Serial Cable question

hhasundhhasund Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have two 2611XM routers, both with a WIC1T card. I want to connect the two routers directly using a serial cable, but I don't know what kind of cable to buy...

Can anyone help out me here?
A link to an ebay-item would help me a lot... :)

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    you want a serial crossover cable, db-60 to db-60. may also be termed as a back to back serial cable

something like this: http://www.cablesandkits.com/cisco-db60-db60-cable-3ft-cabhd60mmx3-p-202.html
  • hhasundhhasund Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    just don't buy anything on ebay from hong kong or china and youll be fine :)

I'd also recommend that if you're in the states, don't buy anything internationally, had entirely too much crap get held up in customs, but I see that doesn't apply to you hehe
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    hhasund wrote: »

I've used this guy three times for DB60 cables, no problems at all.icon_thumright.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi just a question about Serial connections, I can't seem to ping the hosts on both sides of the routers using a serial connection.

This is my config for both routers:

Router1:

interface Serial0/0/0
    bandwidth 5000
    ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
    clock rate 2000000

Router1#sh controllers s0/0/0
    Interface Serial0/0/0
    Hardware is PowerQUICC MPC860
    DCE V.35, clock rate 2000000

Router2:

interface Serial0/0/0
    ip address 172.16.20.2 255.255.255.0

Router2#sh controllers s0/0/0
    Interface Serial0/0/0
    Hardware is PowerQUICC MPC860
    DTE V.35 TX and RX clocks detected

Ping Tests:

Router1#ping 172.16.20.2
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.20.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 17/28/32 ms

Router2#ping 172.16.20.1
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.20.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 17/28/32 ms

My problem is on both routers there are interfaces fastethernet 0/0 and both Fa interfaces have hosts connected to them

Now as you can see I can ping between serial but I cannot ping from host to host

I also tried to ping from host to Default Gateway and is ok and Host to Serial0/0/0 and is even ok, its just it cant ping the neighbor router and the host connected to it

Also I tried adding a clock rate on Router2 but in just won't show up on the config

Also no acls in place

Please Helpicon_cry.gif

note: I use Packet Tracer 5.2 and routers I used are 2811
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have the default gateway configured properly on the hosts, the host should send traffic for destinations that aren't on the local segment to the router acting as the default gateway.

Are you running any routing protocols on the routers so they learn about the other router's network that the hosts are on. Static routes are also an option (and usually the first option when you're learning about routing).

Can the routers ping the interface on the other router that the hosts are attached to? (Can RouterA/Router1 ping the FastEthernet Interface IP Address of RouterB/Router2?)

What do to the routing tables look like on the routers?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you have the default gateway configured properly on the hosts, the host should send traffic for destinations that aren't on the local segment to the router acting as the default gateway.

Are you running any routing protocols on the routers so they learn about the other router's network that the hosts are on. Static routes are also an option (and usually the first option when you're learning about routing).

Can the routers ping the interface on the other router that the hosts are attached to? (Can RouterA/Router1 ping the FastEthernet Interface IP Address of RouterB/Router2?)

What do to the routing tables look like on the routers?

DOH!!! I forgot you can't communicate to a remote LAN without any routing protocols stupid! stupid! man I need to study more. sorry to bother youicon_sad.gif
  • spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    Don't even bother with ebay. You can get cables of all kinds REALLY cheap at monoprice.com and they're high quality. I've got 2 HDMIs and 2 DCE/DTE cables from there all for under $30 probably.

Also, you're gonna wanna make sure you set the clock rate on the DCE end of the cable.