2511 Terminal Server issue

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
I have been looking around and got the configs for my terminal server. I can connect just fine my only issue is that I connect to my 2650xm but it will not let me disconnect. I read that some terminal emulators have issues so i tried Hyperterm PE, Putty and secure CRT and got the same result. Any ideas to what I'm missing?

I used the config from Cisco's website as a template

!
ip subnet-zero
no ip domain-lookup

ip host R1 2001 100.1.1.1
ip host R2 2002 100.1.1.1
ip host R3 2003 100.1.1.1
ip host R4 2004 100.1.1.1
ip host R5 2005 100.1.1.1
!
!
process-max-time 200
!
interface Loopback1
ip address 100.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
!
no ip directed-broadcast
!
interface fa0/0
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

No ip directed-broadcast
no ip mroute-cache
!
interface Serial0
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip mroute-cache
shutdown
!
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1

no ip http server
!
line con 0
transport input all
line 1 16
session-timeout 20
no exec
no exec-timeout
!
line aux 0
modem InOut.
transport preferred telnet
transport input all
speed 38400
flowcontrol hardware
line vty 0 4
exec-timeout 60 0
password cisco
login
!
end
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    hit ctrl-shift-6 at the same time and release......then hit x

I think that's your problem..if not sorry.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I tried that but it wouldn't disconnect.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Suspend the Telnet session by entering Ctrl-Shift-6 x

To disconnect (completely close) a session, issue the disconnect EXEC command:
    ie. router# disconnect line 1
    i tried the disconnect command and it tells me there are no active connections. I tried Ctrl+Shift+6 X, it wouldn't do anything.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - Cisco Systems

out of curiosity why is the fa0/0 ip address and the gateway are on different subnets?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote: »
    Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - Cisco Systems

out of curiosity why is the fa0/0 ip address and the gateway are on different subnets?

because i didnt change one of them. I was consoled in just to test before I made changes and put it online.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Just telnet to the 2511 at port 2001, 2002 etc... You don't have to bother with the Ctrl+Shift+number part and you never have to connect to the 2511 console either.

Read this thread.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    tiersten wrote: »
    Just telnet to the 2511 at port 2001, 2002 etc... You don't have to bother with the Ctrl+Shift+number part and you never have to connect to the 2511 console either.

Read this thread.

With that being said - you should still be familiar with how to work with an access server while consoled in. At the very least you need to know how to clear the lines. I believe Mike made mention of that in regards to his Lab exam hehe
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    With that being said - you should still be familiar with how to work with an access server while consoled in. At the very least you need to know how to clear the lines. I believe Mike made mention of that in regards to his Lab exam hehe
    Good point. It is important to know that stuff especially clearing lines. I occasionally get lines that are stuck because the telnet connection wasn't torn down correctly for some reason.

I'm surprised by how many people do actually use the access servers via the console port only though. It is acting as a huge, heavy and expensive serial switch box.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What does the show line command show on the terminal server (you can telnet in if your "other" session is on the console port.

How are you connecting to the remote router?

If you can telnet directly to the remote router console port (when you've cleared the line if necessary) from your PC over your network ( to R1 you'd telnet to 10.10.10.1 port 2001 ) then you'll know the 2511 probably works fine and that it's just an OSI layer 8 issue.

It is possible to change the suspend control sequence so that you can use an access server to access other access servers, but I don't see that change in the config you posted.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What does the show line command show on the terminal server (you can telnet in if your "other" session is on the console port.

How are you connecting to the remote router?

If you can telnet directly to the remote router console port (when you've cleared the line if necessary) from your PC over your network ( to R1 you'd telnet to 10.10.10.1 port 2001 ) then you'll know the 2511 probably works fine and that it's just an OSI layer 8 issue.

It is possible to change the suspend control sequence so that you can use an access server to access other access servers, but I don't see that change in the config you posted.

This may be off topic, but I would like to hear your story! You have a pretty little suite of cisco exams, I'm sure you have one heck of a tale!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.