Books for MCSE core exams

thickSkinthickSkin Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
Planning on embarking on the MCSE certifications soon starting with the 70-290. I need some good books though. I am a beginner and i have no industry experiece, with that said is the MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294) good enough to prepare me for the core exams? I checked out the books on amazon and i am getting some mixed reviews.

Need some help please. Thanks

Comments

• HandyManHandyMan Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go through these forums for each exam and look at the recommendations already given. There are different preferred books for each exam, even within the same series.
    Mostly the Microsoft Press books are good, but some are lacking in the material they cover.
    Many people recommend the Syngress books.
    In addition to the books, set up a test environment for yourself and get plenty of hands-on practical experience. That will be very valuable.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    To keep costs down, I will tend to purchase used books. Personally my only requirement is No Highlighting and it must include the CD's/Disks if it supposed to have them.
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    thickSkin wrote: »
    Hi
    Planning on embarking on the MCSE certifications soon starting with the 70-290. I need some good books though. I am a beginner and i have no industry experiece, with that said is the MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294) good enough to prepare me for the core exams? I checked out the books on amazon and i am getting some mixed reviews.

Need some help please. Thanks

Well I have the electronic version (PDF) file of the MSPress books.
    I don't know what the copy right law is on it though.
    If you can find out and prove to me its legal then I'll email it to you.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only books I used to prepare for the Core MCSE exams were MS-Press. You should be able to get them (or any other books for those tests) used on Amazon for $10-$15 a piece. Hard to say if it's "enough" to prepare a beginner for the exams. Study for them, use google, use technet, and lab everything as much as possible. If you're cut out for it, you'll be able to learn it IMO.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The O'reilly Nutshell a good book for review and supplements the "main" books well. I've used the MS Press books for all my exams through MCSA, but I'm going to be using the Syngress book for 293 as I hear the MS press book is terrible. That being said, every book is different.
    I would also highly recommend Transcender practice tests and a lab environment using virtualization.