Options

Yet another Resume Post

OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'm updating my resume, and want some pointers if anyone wants to give some..

I've omitted one job that i was at for only about 6 months, I left the bottom job in the list to go to it, (it was full-time, etc) and it didn't work out. They promised to let me finish school and work around my schedule, and then totally said 'no way.' I was 5 classes from graduation. So I left the job and finished the Degree. Should I put it on there? It's a pain to have to explain to employers, and i thnk it's a huge minus in a phone interview.

-=-=-=-

Education:
(SCHOOL NAME)
B.S. Computer Science

Relevant Employment:

Technology Coordinator 1.2 years
Network Maintenance/Installation
Hardware installation, Desktop Imaging
Server administration (IIS, Server 2003, Linux, VMware)
Telephone Maintenance
IT Purchasing and Planning
Budgeting

Intern – IS few months
Update and modify systems
Hardware installation, Desktop Imaging
Server administration (IIS, Server 2003)
LAN/Intranet Server setup
Network infrastructure installation

Student CO-OP – Systems 2 years
Help maintain network and phone systems
Deploy new systems
Update software, Operating Systems
Maintain Internal and External Web Services.
Server administration
Network infrastructure installation

Computer/IT Skills: Operating systems: Windows (98, 2000, XP, 2003, NT4), Linux, Solaris, Novell

Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, OpenOffice.org, Crystal Reports 8, 9, 10

Programming/Development: PHP, Perl, C++, Delphi, Access, HTML,Microsoft SQL 2000, MySQL 4+, C#

Computer Maintenance: Five years of trouble shooting and repair of PC hardware and software

Networking: Installation of intranet and wireless internet systems, firewall configuration and maintenance, switch and router setup. Active Directory, Novell NDS. Bash, Batch,
and VBScripting. Web/Internet: Website and Server maintenance and security, Website Development

Professional Certifications:
CompTIA Network+
Microsoft MCP
2k11 Goals:
VCP - Currently Studying
MCITP:EA - 620 (done)

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    List areas:
    Skillset
    Certs
    Education
    Job Experience, although everyone will have a different opinion.

Are the listed jobs in order? I'm not quite following the continuity. Standard practise is to include start/finish dates with most recent at the top.
    I think a 6x month job is fine to include in your resume. As for the first job mentioned, probably best to leave it out if it was for only a short while. Having to constantly explain a short tenure can really be a hassle.

Be sure to list vendors and version levels (ie, VMWare 4, etc). Promote the technology that you have dealt with.
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    List areas:
    Skillset
    Certs
    Education
    Job Experience, although everyone will have a different opinion.

Are the listed jobs in order? I'm not quite following the continuity. Standard practise is to include dates.
    I think 6x months is fine to include in your resume. As for the first job mentioned, probably best to leave it out if it was for only a short while. Having to constantly explain a short tenure can really be a hassle.

Be sure to list vendors and version levels (ie, VMWare 4, etc). Promote the technology that you have dealt with.

Thanks, on the resume itself I have dates after each job title. They are in chronological order from current to previous. The dates are just removed for some anonymity. The one that says 'few months' was simply an internship, that one shouldn't be too hard to explain.

Any more opinions on the 6 month tenure from others?
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    ChristiangeorgiaChristiangeorgia Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

IMO, you should visit job boards or meet with professional through online communities like Odesk etc. Many companies prefer fresh student therefore visit these student base communities and get link with them. I’m sure they would refer you in many work or jobs.