Interview

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Have an interview for an Associate Network Engineer position in a few hours. Lets see how this goes.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    enjoy and good luck icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Good Luck!

Let us all know how it goes.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of Luck!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it went pretty well. It was actually split into 2 parts (technical and hr). The technical was suppose to me and 2 of the engineers, it turned into the head of Network Management (the chief network engineer) 2 other network engineers and I. This was a bit nerve racking but it quickly became a non issue. Their "technical" questions were very easy to me and I was very surprised by that.

Here is the interesting, they basically said that the position would do a little bit of everything (running cable, installing routers, supporting voice/wireless/security/R+S, updates, etc) since they are very backed up in "support related tasks". The company is growing fast (and IT needs some help keeping up). It was very interesting to listen to them talk to the job in question (furthering my desire to do all of the NAs and start the NP and my desire for this job in general). They were obviously happy when I said I wanted to do the NA:V as my next cisco certs and they were wondering WTF with S+ and L+. If this job comes through, I may put these bad boys on hold until after I get much closer to going back to school.

The HR part of the interview was exactly that (I never know how exactly to answer those questions) and I think it also went pretty well. My mom said I should send them a thank you letter sometime today and then go from there. I probably will end up doing this. At any rate I was told I should here something in a week.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like it went pretty good! Let us know how it comes out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Now the worst part begins....the wait. Good Luck though, hope you hear something good back.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    My mom said I should send them a thank you letter sometime today and then go from there. I probably will end up doing this. At any rate I was told I should here something in a week.

Listen to your mom... icon_wink.gif

I'm glad to hear the interview went well. Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like things went well. Good luck and keep us posted! icon_thumright.gif
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I'm glad to hear things went well... I would get your Thank You letters out ASAP while everything is still fresh on your mind. In the meantime, stay on your course for certs.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats. Yes, do a very simple thank you note:

Paragraph 1 - Thanking for interview and their time
    Paragraph 2 - State how your skills would benefit them
    Paragraph 3 - State how you are looking forward to hearing from them.
    Thanks guys.

Yea I probably will send in a Thank-you letter later today. The wait is killing me but I guess I don't have a lot of choice. I know I was the last person interviewed so I wonder if that means anything icon_eek.gif but I am going to icon_study.gif and apply for some other jobs. I actually got called about another job and they wanted me to start ASAP, but I wanted to do this interview first because I had a good feeling about this one. Well we will see...
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to get the first job asap.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Thanks guys.

Yea I probably will send in a Thank-you letter later today. The wait is killing me but I guess I don't have a lot of choice. I know I was the last person interviewed so I wonder if that means anything icon_eek.gif but I am going to icon_study.gif and apply for some other jobs. I actually got called about another job and they wanted me to start ASAP, but I wanted to do this interview first because I had a good feeling about this one. Well we will see...

Well It has been about a week, no response and no contact. I am starting to regret not taking that other job (more pay than my previous job, more networking, just the drive was a little further icon_rolleyes.gif damn oh well) In the mean time I have been putting in apps to different places and since Net Engineers jobs are somewhat specialized (in what they want for exp and certs) I have been putting in my resume to hell desk positions. Got a call about one today for a medium sized bank today and they guy wants to set up a phone interview sometime this week.

I am considering contacting the people from that job that I interviewed for last week. If I don't here something by tomorrow I will probably give them a call (and I do mean 1 call). I have done the call the employer back game many times and rarely if I don't get an answer to my voice/email I usually don't try more than twice because they probably aren't going to call you back. IDK maybe I am a bit bitter but I can't just sit around waiting for them forever and if they are so busy that they can't take 2-5 minutes to email/call me than they should have hired me from the start icon_rolleyes.gif

Back to the hunt icon_thumright.gif
    Didn't get it icon_sad.gif Someone had more exp and a little more education. FML...
    Sorry to hear, I'm sure that something else will come around soon.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    man that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. One thing I'm sure you got from the whole ordeal is some good interview experience. Although it's stressful it's priceless :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In the future, if you have a job in hand, don't tell them no hoping you're going to get another job you interviewed for. Ask them if they can give you a few days to think it over. Let job #2 know you have an offer in hand and want to know where they are in the process. If they want you, they may get back to you right away. If they act non-committal or never call back just tell them to withdraw your name from consideration and take job #1.

Bird in the hand and all. Sorry it didn't work out.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    In the future, if you have a job in hand, don't tell them no hoping you're going to get another job you interviewed for. Ask them if they can give you a few days to think it over. Let job #2 know you have an offer in hand and want to know where they are in the process. If they want you, they may get back to you right away. If they act non-committal or never call back just tell them to withdraw your name from consideration and take job #1.

Bird in the hand and all. Sorry it didn't work out.

I never told the other job I was waiting on another interview. I just told them that the distance would be an issue (75 miles plus both ways) and with me currently having some brake issues on my car, I was much more willing to try to wait to get a job that was 4 (total trip, there and back
    ) miles away rather than 75 miles away. Maybe you should know all of the facts in stead of assuming things icon_rolleyes.gif They wanted me to start the monday before last and my car is just not up for the trip.

All in all I am more than a little pissed about the whole thing and I am trying to figure out what to do next..
    I never told the other job I was waiting on another interview. I just told them that the distance would be an issue (75 miles plus both ways) and with me currently having some brake issues on my car, I was much more willing to try to wait to get a job that was 4 (total trip, there and back
    ) miles away rather than 75 miles away. Maybe you should know all of the facts in stead of assuming things icon_rolleyes.gif They wanted me to start the monday before last and my car is just not up for the trip.

All in all I am more than a little pissed about the whole thing and I am trying to figure out what to do next..

Dude I was a douche that day. If someone can give him rep for me that would be great. I was just really pissy that day (guess I was on a forced period).

At any rate I have an interview for a Network Analyst position on thursday. Here is the description
    3rd Shift Network Analyst

About the Job

Here is an excellent opportunity for you to move your career
    forward by joining WinWholesale.​ We are a wholesale distributor of
    products that are essential to the building, remodeling and general
    construction industries, operating through more than 550 locations throughout
    the United States.​
    Since our beginnings in the middle 1950’s we have grown to become a major force
    in the wholesale distribution industry, with annual sales in excess of $2
    billion.​

Our continued growth calls for the addition of a 3rd
    Shift Network Analyst

to our Information
    Technology group to help us reach the next level of our success.​

Job Information:

We are currently seeking a Network Analyst to maintain and
    monitor our networking and server environments.​ This position would be
    responsible to perform various operations functions as well as troubleshoot and
    work carrier trouble tickets with internet service providers.​ This position would also be responsible for
    the procurement of client computer needs of the company.​

Technical
    Requirements:

- 1-3yrs networking experience with
    broadband networking equipment

, cisco routers and switches

- Computer hardware and software
    troubleshooting skills.​

- Hardware experience with IBM xseries
    servers and bladecenters.​

- Experience with monitoring tools such as
    Solarwinds and Zenoss.​

- Experience working with and maintaining
    computer builds.​

-Experience working with ISP working
    through service issues.​

ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS

• Well
      versed in the technologies described above
    • Excellent
      verbal and written skills, ability to work with others and comprehension
      of technical data and designs.​
    • Bachelor’s
      Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred but not required;
      additional relevant experience will be strongly considered in lieu of
      degree

The only thing that could stop me is the fact that they wanted a BS degree but hopefully that won't be that big of a deal. I saw the job on monster and applied but I saw the place was about 6 miles from my house so I went and dropped off a resume and letter there (on nice, heavy resume paper of course). I can tell by the email address that they used to contact me that they liked that (I have 1 email address on my resume and I just recently made a new one that I put on the letter and they used the new one). It is a 3rd shift job (which would really help with getting certs/classes done) and the pay isn't to much lower than my old job (that shouldn't matter though because the amount I of time/gas/car wear and tear I would save would make up for the slightly lower pay). Hopefully this will come through. We shall see.

Until Thursday.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Good luck on the job. If you get it, welcome to the vampire club.icon_twisted.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    Good luck on the job. If you get it, welcome to the vampire club.icon_twisted.gif

Thanks.

I use to work 3rds back in the day but this time it would be very close to me (instead of the 45 min trip I use to make). I actually like the idea of a night shift, I would be able to get stuff done during the day.
    I personally like it. It definitely has its pros and cons, but overall it works for me pretty well. I find it really hard to study though. I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason I can't seem to concentrate on it. I usually study when I get home, or when I get up.
    I personally like it. It definitely has its pros and cons, but overall it works for me pretty well. I find it really hard to study though. I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason I can't seem to concentrate on it. I usually study when I get home, or when I get up.

I know what you mean. I will be in school though so I will have to get my studies done icon_study.gif. Well we will see in a few days what happens. By the way are you doing the CCSP?
    I may start on the CCSP. I'm honestly not 100% sure yet. I have a lot on my plate as it is. I know before summer I should have OSCP, GCIA, and CCNA:sec. A coworker and I have been talking about studying for CEH, JNCIA, and possibly CCSA.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At any rate I have an interview for a Network Analyst position on thursday.
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!