Studying to take the A+ cert by spring

govtech85govtech85 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guy, I currently studying to take my A+ cert. The reference material that im using is CompTIA Exam Cram Third Edition. I noticed that their are three exams to study for.
Exam: 220-602
Exam: 220-603
Exam: 220-604

This may sound stupid but, do you take them all at one time or do you take which ever exam you wish to pursue to advice your career?
icon_study.gif

Comments

• Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    I think you can take all of them if you want.
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    No, there are 2 seperate Exams. The A+ Essentials & the elective. The elective is one of the 3 you just mentioned. 602 is the PC Technician, 603 is the Remote Technician & 604 is the Bench Technician.

You have to take the Essentials. Once you pass, then you can take 1 of the 3 others. Depending on what you want to gear your IT skills toward.

602 - Desktop Support (Field work)
    603 - Remote Support (helpdesk & remoting into ppl's sets)
    604 - Bench Support (Like a Bestbuy Bench Tech)

But overall, there is only 2 tests that you have to pass to become A+ Certified.
  • nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 2006 exams will be retired in the US and Canada on February 28th, 2010. You should start studying for the 2009 exam.

The 2009 exam is now only 2 tests. Essentials (701) and Practical Application (702).
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    nx1no wrote: »
    The 2006 exams will be retired in the US and Canada on February 28th, 2010. You should start studying for the 2009 exam.

The 2009 exam is now only 2 tests. Essentials (701) and Practical Application (702).

Back to the 'old' ways.

2 - exams, and only 2 exams to select to certify.

Yes, I always recommend to take them both the same day, but if you search the forum, you'll find varying responses. I'd recommend concentrating on the current objectives for 701 and 702
    FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Back to the 'old' ways.

Yes, I always recommend to take them both the same day, but if you search the forum, you'll find varying responses. I'd recommend concentrating on the current objectives for 701 and 702
    FWIW

To the best of my knowledge the 601,602,603, and 604 exams expire in February 28 2010. I posted a statement concerning the expiration date below:
    CompTIA A+
    The existing CompTIA A+ 600 series exams remain relevant and are in use by organizations and educational institutions throughout the world. The English version of these exams will retire in the U.S., Canada and South Africa on February 28, 2010
    I ‘m going to take each test separately, but you can take them on the same day, it just depends on your readiness for the exams. The 701 requires a score of 75% or above to pass. The 702 requires a score of 80% or higher, so the stakes are a little higher, but the passing score is only increased by 5%. There is a lot overlap between the exams, and that’s why most people take both of them on the same day.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Back to the 'old' ways.

FWIW

I took both exams in the same day, and would highly advise others to do so as well.
  • govtech85govtech85 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guy for the great input! It was very informative. Looks like i need to upgrade the Cram Exam Book that I am currently using. Lol! But compared to 701-702 could i at least cross reference info from 602-603?
    I'm sure you could cross reference, but I foresee you doing more harm than good. You will probably be spending a lot of time on things you wont need to know for the new versions.