Options

Should I go back to school?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hey,

In 2007, graduated with Business Admin - Information Systems diploma
In 2009, graduated with Bachelor of Commerce -IT Management degree

So, I spent 2004-2009 in school. Did part time jobs unrelated to IT. Did two 4 months sort of IT related job titles but not at the help desk level. Most of the things I learned were theory and management stuff.

Should I go back to school? Since I can't even get a simple IT call center or Help Desk job. Pretty depressing.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    laptop wrote: »
    Hey,

In 2007, graduated with Business Admin - Information Systems diploma
    In 2009, graduated with Bachelor of Commerce -IT Management degree

So, I spent 2004-2009 in school. Did part time jobs unrelated to IT. Did two 4 months sort of IT related job titles but not at the help desk level. Most of the things I learned were theory and management stuff.

Should I go back to school? Since I can't even get a simple IT call center or Help Desk job. Pretty depressing.

I'd say try to grab some certs, you will probably see more results on the short term with grabbing some certs than going to school. I am not against school at all but I think that in 3-6 months with a couple of entry level certs would be time better spent than by going back to pick up another certificate or starting a Masters.

Long term, you may want to do a Masters but for now, I suggest you go for some entry level Microsoft or Cisco (or both) possibly throwing a Security+ in their if you can afford it.

EDIT: How is you resume? What types of jobs are you applying for? Do you follow up and if so how do you follow up?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I agree with working on any certs that are relevant to where you see yourself in 5-6 years.

I would suggest that if you WANT to go back to school, do it. If you don't, don't.

What I'd say is imperative is that you get some experience, whether it's volunteer or a position. I know you said you can't find a job right now, so work on getting some volunteer work somewhere. Sometimes, that looks better because people see you took the extra initiative to get the experience you need.

An optional is to make a lab, even if it's something very simple on a computer you already have. SOME managers like it for the same reason mentioned above, you're taking the extra initiative. They also like it because SOME see it as your hobby, so they think you'll be more likely to train yourself and they won't have to pay for your training.

Just my 2c.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You already have an education so like the others have already said get some certs. Maybe later once you get settled into your career look at as Masters.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »
    I can't even get a simple IT call center or Help Desk job.
    Are you getting calls and/or interviews -- but no offers?
    Or are you not even getting the calls/interviews?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Are you getting calls and/or interviews -- but no offers?
    Or are you not even getting the calls/interviews?

Important questions.

If you are getting calls and/or interviews, the problem may be with your interview technique and how you present yourself. You would be surprised how small words or actions are interpreted by interviewers.

If you are not getting any bites, could be a problem with your resume, where you are applying to, what jobs you are applying for, etc.

As others have said, certs I think would be a better ROI for you since you already have an education. What are you interested in doing? If you want to do system work, MS or RH certs are great. If you enjoy networking, grabbing a CCNA will def bolster your appeal. Either certs in both of those routes will help you grab an entry level position in a NOC or on a systems team somewhere.

Good luck!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel