Resume Critique

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
I don't know where to put it and I thought this is the right place so here it is. Can you please critique my resume? I am starting to send out my resumes pretty soon.
I am pasting it here because I cannot attach it as a .doc format.

NAME
Address

EDUCATION and CERTIFICATIONS

Some University, Somewhere, US
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science May 2005
Minor: Math and Electronics
* CompTIA A+ (IT Technician) Certified - July 3, 2008
* CompTIA Network+ Certified - January 23, 2009
SKILLS
* Windows XP/Vista/7
* Windows Server 2003
* MS Excel
* MS Word
* MS Access
* Other MS Office applications

IT EXPERIENCE

ABC Company Somewhere, US
Computer Technician Aug 2008 – Present
* Analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve technical problems related to hardware and software
* Installation of printers in stand-alone and network environment
* Monitoring and managing the network from a single location using SpiceWorks
* Creating new users and other objects in Active Directory
* Responsible for installing operating systems and software on new and existing machines

XYZ Company Somewhere, US
Software Tester Aug 2005 – Jul 2006
* Software testing included unit testing and full system testing
* Debugged the code written in C# and reported the problems found
* Assisted other programmers by writing small modules in C#
* Resolved the bugs found during testing

QWE Company Somewhere, US
Internship May 2005 - Aug 2005
* Conducted software testing, documentation and reported any problems or bugs found
* Prepared documentation and user requirements for the system using MS Word

NON-IT EXPERIENCE

ASD Company Somewhere, US
Manager Jun 2007 – Jun 2009
* Manage an on-campus coffee shop
* Duties include making schedules, inventory control, and ordering products from suppliers
* Duties also include training new employees

ZXC Company Somewhere, US Student Worker Nov 2006 – Jun 2007
* Worked in an on-campus coffee shop
* Duties included making different kinds of drinks and food items
* Maintained a clean work environment
* Got promoted to a Manager position

Thank you very much. Looking forward to positive and negative critique about the resume.

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I would go into more detail about what you know what Windows Server. Do you have experience with DNS, DHCP, WINS, AD DS? Those are the keywords that get hits when hr/recruiters search resumes.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    -You need to use less words. Stay away from using "other" in your resume.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What crrussell3 said. You should try and make your resume stand out. Dont want to be rude, but this one's pretty ordinary. Pepper it with HR buzz words, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP. Let them know what kind of devices you managed with SpiceWorks, what machines you loaded up the operating system on, what kind of hardware/software you troubleshot. I'd make it little more detailed that it already is.

And try to get a cert or two to brighten your chances.

HTH.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd also add some sort of summary/objective opening statement. Something to tell them a little about yourself and what you are looking for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I'd also add some sort of summary/objective opening statement. Something to tell them a little about yourself and what you are looking for.

I found objective statements pretty useless on a resume. I imagine you could state your objective in the Cover letter. Nothing quite like receiving a resume with the objective "...to become a(n) <insert title here>" when it is obvious you are applying for the position.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your feedback.
    @essendon, I agree with you that the resume is ordinary and that is why I wanted opinion from other people. I will try to add some technical terms but the only problem is that I have no experience with DNS, DHCP, AD and the likes. What I have written in the resume is exactly what I do. There is not much room for improvement either.
    As far as certs go, I have schedule one in a couple of weeks for 70-290 and hopefully this time I will pass. I am working on my certs.
    I will definitely take these comments in consideration and try to improve or make it more presentable.

Thank you again.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    matradley wrote: »
    I found objective statements pretty useless on a resume. I imagine you could state your objective in the Cover letter. Nothing quite like receiving a resume with the objective "...to become a(n) <insert title here>" when it is obvious you are applying for the position.

Thats my opinion on objectives also. I use a short summary that just highlights my experience. I just put summary/objective because I know some people prefer them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was also thinking if I remove the Skills section as it looks pretty lame, i mean, Windows XP/Vista/7 and Windows Serve 2003 and MS Office applications to me seems pretty obvious. Instead, if I put some more information which details my work, will it work. Right now, it is a one page long resume and if I remove the Skills part, I can add some more stuff and still keep it at one page.
    What do you guys think?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With the amount of experience you have, keep it to one page. A resume is looked at for no more than 25-30 seconds, and an HR person (or any person for that matter) would look at the first couple of bullet points of each job more than the other points. When I first read your resume, I was like, o this guy seems to just troubleshoot some software and perhaps some hardware (printers). I had almost overlooked the network monitoring and the AD bit. So make sure you list the more important/relevant bits first and then the bits and pieces.

A single sentence per bullet point does make a resume more readable but it also makes it threadbare. I have two, at times three, sentences per bullet point. This gives the resume more meat. Just a word of caution with this, try not to be repetitive. You might find that you are repeating yourself, so just word it better.

Just my 2c.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any interesting projects you were involved in?

Liked that you mentioned you were promoted to Manager.

Maybe elaborate more what you did with Active Directory.

Need summary of what you are looking for.