Ont->qos

Guys,
Based on your experiences, how much additional information is in the QoS exam that was not covered in the ONT? I have already ordered the Odom book for the test, is there any additional materials you all would recommend?

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Odom's book and the CBTNuggs are what I used. The exam wasn't bad, and I don't think there was too much additional info between ONT and QoS.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you just went through the ONT than a good read through the Odom book and you will probably be set to go (assuming you understand as you read and not just gloss over). A lot of the topics are the same with a lot more depth on the QoS exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The biggest differences between ONT's QoS coverage and the QoS exam are Traffic Shaping, Traffic Policing, and LAN QoS on a Catalyst 2950 (and they test specifically on the 2950, and there are differences between how different Catalyst models do their QoS)

So yeah, pick up Odom's book, watch the CBT nugs, put in some lab work to get familiar with configuring everything, and you should be gtg (unless you totally bombed QoS on ONT that is hehe)
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Cool, thanks guys. Ya, I picked up the Odom book, so I will probably grab the TS nuggets for the course and give it a go. I feel pretty comfortable with QoS, so I will probably try it out in a month or two. Again, thanks for the advice; I'll probably need you guys alot more when I start the BGP/MPLS stuff :)
    Just go the QoS book....this sucker is pretty big. Will start in on it today. So far I like Wendell's tone in the first chapter. This book seems like it will be better than the ONT book. That author was a bit dry.
    Well this book has not let me down! Love the presentation, and the constant scenarios thrown at you after each section. I just finished the compression/lfi chapter (chapter 8 ), and will probably cap the book off tomorrow morning at work. So far, this is hands down the best Cisco press book read on the list. The only thing that has me a bit concerned is the number of formulas used in QoS. They are all rather rudimentary, but remembering what each one goes with is what gives me issues. A couple more times through them should sure up my understanding of them I hope. How did you all cope with all of them?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well this book has not let me down! Love the presentation, and the constant scenarios thrown at you after each section. I just finished the compression/lfi chapter (chapter 8 ), and will probably cap the book off tomorrow morning at work. So far, this is hands down the best Cisco press book read on the list. The only thing that has me a bit concerned is the number of formulas used in QoS. They are all rather rudimentary, but remembering what each one goes with is what gives me issues. A couple more times through them should sure up my understanding of them I hope. How did you all cope with all of them?

That was one of the things that worried me also. I just kept going over them and it eventually started to stick. Even though I have passed the exam I still don't remember every single one off the top of my head and I passed fairly easy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    A couple more times through them should sure up my understanding of them I hope. How did you all cope with all of them?

Printed them out on a sheet before the exam and spent some time with that sheet before I went into the test center to make sure I had everything in my head straight. Wrote it down on the scratch paper as soon as I could just to make sure I had the reference.

In reality, I don't need to know the formula's off the top of my head, I just need to be able to understand them and interpret them at need. Whenever I need to deploy something that requires math in the real world, I will have access to reference material, and since I know that it's an unrealistic expectation to know everything, that knowing where to find the answer when I need it is the next best thing.