Options

Computer jargon baffles users, hinders security - MSNBC

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I would tend to for the most part agree with what is said in this article. The other side of the coin is the fact that jargon at times makes it easier for a professional group to communicate with each other.

Computer jargon baffles users, hinders security - Security- msnbc.com

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The article contains not one example of "jargon" confusing users on why they should protect their passwords or use anti-virus software.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you can teach a 4 year old not to accept candy from strangers, why is it so hard to teach an adult not to open an email or email attachment from a stranger?

And I really don't see why "don't give your password to anybody" is more difficult for an adult to understand than a 4 year old and "don't take candy from strangers." icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm guessing the "source" for that article was a consultant that doesn't know enough buzz words to get hired for a real security gig. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you can teach a 4 year old not to accept candy from strangers, why is it so hard to teach an adult not to open an email or email attachment from a stranger?
    Because the Internet is perceived by most people to be filled with excitement and wonder and good times and not filled with malicious people with ill-intent. People who don't prey on others don't typically expect to receive ill-will themselves, so they are easy victims. Still, people are a lot smarter about Internet safety than they were even a few years ago, so there's hope.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    screw you guys...I just got an email from a certain Nigerian prince

I'm outta here suckas!

MS
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    eMeS wrote: »
    screw you guys...I just got an email from a certain Nigerian prince

I'm outta here suckas!

MS
    I'm looking for part-time work; ask The Prince if he knows any Somali pirates that are hiring. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    lol. Agree with the second post. there are no examples of the so called jargon that is being thrown around. No help desk person is telling an end user about symmetric algorithms. Companies dumb down presentations on security to the general staff. Not using jargon is a A+ skill.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think jargon might be referring to vendor specific jargon even though they don't mention that.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm looking for part-time work; ask The Prince if he knows any Somali pirates that are hiring. icon_lol.gif

Dude, be careful! I heard that those guys are scammers!

MS