Simple qos config for 2611XM?

fonestar1978fonestar1978 Banned Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay, my set up.... Cisco 2611XM router on a stick connected to Catalyst 2950 with Asterisk PBX. No pots or PVDM involved here, pure VoIP. Data is on one vlan and voice is on another vlan.

I have my Catalyst 2950's relevant ports configured with:

!
interface FastEthernet0/24
switchport access vlan XXX
mls qos cos 7
!

And my 2611XM as thus:

!
interface FastEthernet0/1.XXX
description DATA
encapsulation dot1Q XXX
ip address 192.168.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly
!

So I have the 2611XM configured with an inside encapsulated sub-interface that is working. Is there anything more I have to do to have the 2611XM respect my frame tagging? Is there anything more I can do to have it improved? I just have my CCENT so I am not going to get too far ahead of myself here with the config but I would like to know if there is anything else I can do to get more performance out of my setup?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fonestar,

What exactly are you trying to do with your setup? What do you mean you want your 2611XM to respect your frame tagging? I'll try my best to give you some info...

If you're using a ROAS (router on a stick), then you're going to need to subinterfaces (1 for data and the other for your voice vlan). Next you have to trunk your fa0/24 on your 2950 if that is the port that is connected to your 2611XM. You also will need an interface that you're going to run your ip nat outside against. In addition to all of this, you would typically setup a nat pool. I hope some of this information can help you in some way or another.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I'm no QoS expert but I'm pretty sure you gotta throw a "mls qos trust cos" in the 2600
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If this is a production environment the OP would probably be best served by using the AutoQoS feature.

mls qos cos 7 tells the switch to mark all the frames with cos 7, but thats all it does. It does not change the behavior of the switch or router. You would have to tell the switch and router what you want it to do when it sees a packet marked with cos 7. Also, you normally don't mark packets with cos 6 or 7, as those are reserved for the only traffic more important than voice, network protocols (routing, STP, etc). It is a generally accepted standard to mark voice as class 5.

If you're trying learn QoS in general pick up a book such as Wendell Odom's Cisco QOS, it's a pretty broad topic. Otherwise AutoQoS is supposed to do a pretty good job for most situations and I'm sure some of us can answer any specific questions.