Options

Has anyone attended any online universities for IT Certificates

gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
While I was on my favorite site today (Techexams.net). I noticed the banner for Villanova university for Master Certificate in IS Security. I went on the site and reqeusted more information after reading the course studies and price (5k) I became interested. I just wanted to know if anyone has taken this course or something similar with other online universities that give you a certificate of completion but prepare you for mid to sr level certs? If so how long did it take to complete that course?
G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think many people take University/College Certificates very seriously. That is just my opinion though.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you meaning certificates or degrees?

Masters in Information Assurance, check out the following:
    1. Western Governor's University
    2. Norwich University

These are on-line Master degrees.
    More universities are giving more choices for on-line degrees.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    depends on where you are job hunting - some areas put more stock in college certificates than others. I saw more cert programs like that when I was living in Toronto for a while...they don't seem to get much respect here in the US though from what I can see.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most have degrees, some have certificate programs. Both are considered, more or less like a vendor neutral certification. I would think of the price, and the over all value you would get.. and when I mean value not just money value but knowledge.
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    GeeLo wrote: »
    Most have degrees, some have certificate programs. Both are considered, more or less like a vendor neutral certification. I would think of the price, and the over all value you would get.. and when I mean value not just money value but knowledge.

I really dont think an online DEGREE is considered a vendor-neutral cert.

If it is, thats bullsh*t. I shouldnt have to pay the ridiculous extortion that brick and mortar universities charge just to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gpitts85 wrote: »
    While I was on my favorite site today (Techexams.net). I noticed the banner for Villanova university for Master Certificate in IS Security. I went on the site and reqeusted more information after reading the course studies and price (5k) I became interested. I just wanted to know if anyone has taken this course or something similar with other online universities that give you a certificate of completion but prepare you for mid to sr level certs? If so how long did it take to complete that course?

I think certificate classes are good for filling in the blanks when you’re studying for a certification, or when you desire to learn a new technology, but feel unmotivated, or frustrated with the material. Also, I would only recommend this route if you’re having trouble grasping the technology. However, $5,000 for a certificate is an awful a lot of money for a certificate. I think you’re better off working towards your degree and getting a few extra certifications under your belt, because these will provide a better ROI than a certificate will. I think the Cisco Academy is your best bet if you're looking for a certificate, because, from what I understand after you finish the classes, you 're prepared to take the CCNA/CCENT Cisco Networking Academy - Locate Academy and Class/es
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

If it is, thats bullsh*t. I shouldnt have to pay the ridiculous extortion that brick and mortar universities charge just to be taken seriously.

Well said, couldn't have put it better myself.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most college's offer some sort of certificate program, usually just some core classes instead of all the core classes + some electives.

Many programs also offer an 18hr degree which could allow you to tech at a Community College or even Freshman level classes.

You can usually enroll in both the Degree and Certificate tracks. I did it and completed the certificate requirements on my way to getting my Masters.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

Sounds like college to me.
  • Options

Well now.. it really depends on on the company hiring isn't it? Trust me when I say.. that most companies hiring IT staff think that way. MS Certified or Vendor Neutral cert (CompTIA / other) that's a 100% fact... I know that s*cks but it's true. Just like a lot of companies that hire IT staff will look at certs alone and no "real world" experience either.
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    GeeLo wrote: »
    Well now.. it really depends on on the company hiring isn't it? Trust me when I say.. that most companies hiring IT staff think that way. MS Certified or Vendor Neutral cert (CompTIA / other) that's a 100% fact... I know that s*cks but it's true. Just like a lot of companies that hire IT staff will look at certs alone and no "real world" experience either.

Just because the companies think that way doesn't mean a college education isn't overpriced.
  • Options
    and just because he says its that way, doesnt mean it is.

Companies look at different things, sure, but I'm not gonna work for a company that thinks an online BS is worthless.

Remember that a job is a mutual contract between the employee and employer, its not something you are forced into.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I don't think many people take University/College Certificates very seriously. That is just my opinion though.

I guess it depends on what sort of environment you're working in, but I couldn't disagree more. The majority of jobs in the DC area require a minimum of a 4-year degree, even in IT.

In return for the money you spend on a college education, you will earn an average of 70% more over the course of a lifetime than those without it. Not to mention the pride that comes with completing your college education, which you can't put a dollar amount on.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    I think certificate classes are good for filling in the blanks when you’re studying for a certification, or when you desire to learn a new technology, but feel unmotivated, or frustrated with the material. Also, I would only recommend this route if you’re having trouble grasping the technology. However, $5,000 for a certificate is an awful a lot of money for a certificate. I think you’re better off working towards your degree and getting a few extra certifications under your belt, because these will provide a better ROI than a certificate will. I think the Cisco Academy is your best bet if you're looking for a certificate, because, from what I understand after you finish the classes, you 're prepared to take the CCNA/CCENT Cisco Networking Academy - Locate Academy and Class/es

That is the best advice I will do that cause 5k I can get a ton of certs while working towards my degree for a fraction of that cause for one certificate
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

• Options
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what sort of environment you're working in, but I couldn't disagree more. The majority of jobs in the DC area require a minimum of a 4-year degree, even in IT.

In return for the money you spend on a college education, you will earn an average of 70% more over the course of a lifetime than those without it. Not to mention the pride that comes with completing your college education, which you can't put a dollar amount on.

I was referring to college certificates, and not to degrees. There is a big difference between the two of them. A college certificate usually only entails the core classes within a degree.

I would not be working on a 4-year degree unless I believed in it. I also would not have an AAS degree unless I believed it would benefit me.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I was referring to college certificates, and not to degrees. There is a big difference between the two of them. A college certificate usually only entails the core classes within a degree.

I would not be working on a 4-year degree unless I believed in it. I also would not have an AAS degree unless I believed it would benefit me.

My mistake man, I misunderstood you...I stand corrected icon_thumright.gif
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a question to British members What is the status / rating of the Open university ?
    Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University
    I am attending a local Branch for a BS in computer science, after completing I will get a local BS + a BS from the UK Open University.
  • Options
    Just because the companies think that way doesn't mean a college education isn't overpriced.

I didn't say college education was inexpensive. I agree with you on that one 100%
  • Options
    and just because he says its that way, doesnt mean it is.

Can You believe that companies will see a person applying for a job fresh out of college with a degree and say "Oh yes, I'll hire this young man over these people, that have multiple certifications and have long resumes with excellent references." too?

I don't think it's fair either that someone can pay a ton of money, have a great college education and get shafted, but that's the way it is when compared with other people that have multiple certs and experience behind them. And "sometimes" you will see jobs posting like this: "xyz college degree and this cert, that cert, and this other cert as a job requirement, or these certs and this amount of experience.." if the choice is to be made, the person with the most experience with those required certs get the job with out without the college degree. Now before MSCE came out, sure You would see that the main hiring preference was some one who who had a college degree because that was the only type of training and testing available, but things are bit different now.

And just because some people have been in the IT field for close to 20 years, and is a Administrator of a combination of over 60,000 servers and workstations on a nationwide WAN, they may not know what they are saying.. you must be right. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    In most cases, companies would be correct in choosing the person with 10+ years experience and industry certs over some kid fresh out of college, especially for an IT job.

But that isnt what you said. You said that most companies see online degrees as nothing more than an entry-level cert. This is false.

If two people applied for a job and each had 5 years experience and a couple of equal certs and one had a BS and the other didnt....overwhelming chances are that they job goes to the one with the degree. Comparing an entry-level person to someone with 10 years experience isnt a fair comparison (regardless of formal education).

And just because some people have been in IT for 1/4 the time you have, but worked on projects/infrastructures just as large, they may not know what they are saying...you must be right ;)
  • Options

And just because some people have been in IT for 1/4 the time you have, but worked on projects/infrastructures just as large, they may not know what they are saying...you must be right ;)

Well I still do not agree with your reply, but I do like that last line.. Kudos. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    That is the truth there. I look at it like this a degree is telling me you went to class and stayed with it for 4 years. Certs and expereince will tell me ok this person knows what he is doing not just because he has been in the industry for 10 years but he has also took the specific test that certify he knows what he is doing in the areas that we have a need for someone with experience. Why would you hire someone that has a degree in lets say Information Security with 0 experience over someone with a A+ Security + and CISSP with 5 years experience. From a mixture of vehicle perspective you dont want to choose the car with 0 miles on it versus one with 10k miles at least you know this one runs and drives the way it was designed versus one that hasnt even been tested
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    But as has been stated before Degree + Experience + Certs trumps Experience + Cert or Degree + Cert.
    Several people on TE are either students at, or preparing to be students at, WGU. This is one of those online universities which offer certs along with a degree. AND they're accredited.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be wary. The rule of thumb I tell people is that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Before you enroll make sure that you understand what you're paying for. No one can guarantee you certifications so if they are then that should set off your internal alarm.