71-669 Desktop Virtualization Announced

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I don't plan on taking it... Any of you?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan to take it if I can register in time. I studied a lot for 71-693 so hopefully I can pass 71-669 with minimal review.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'm going to try to register. Im pretty pissed they made it 9:00am because ill likely be engaged with a client at that time and wont be able to hop on to register. icon_sad.gif

Why arent you taking it, Robert? Didnt you take the last 2 virtualization betas?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'm going to try to register. Im pretty pissed they made it 9:00am because ill likely be engaged with a client at that time and wont be able to hop on to register. icon_sad.gif

Why arent you taking it, Robert? Didnt you take the last 2 virtualization betas?
    I registered for them... The first exam I failed, on the test day for the second one I was ill so I didn't go. I'm focusing hard on SQL server 2008 exams right now and I don't really see this fiting into my career plans at the moment. I took the EDA7 exams because I don't see me getting out of an IT generalist role for a year or so and deployment is always important. However desktop virtualization will not help me much in that time. Some sort of server virtualization I use daily, though. So that's why I wanted to take the Hyper-V exams.

Seems like cool stuff, though. Any of you guys planning on deploying this?
    I would love to use App-V but it seems like ill never find a job where they actually have a VLA and use MDOP.

I'd really really like to end up working a lot with virtulization so these are exciting exams for me. I dont care that much for desktop virtualization but its part of the game.
  • jrobb259jrobb259 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm definitely wanting this one. I missed out on the first two virt betas so I will be hopefully taking those in the coming months. My company is doing a MDOP proof-of-concept next week primarily focusing on App-V so this is near perfect time for this exam to go beta. I'll get some great resource material for the exam from this engagement we're doing.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jrobb259 wrote: »
    My company is doing a MDOP proof-of-concept next week primarily focusing on App-V so this is near perfect time for this exam to go beta.
    Softgrid/App-V rocks, you're going to love it. :)
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Not sure on this one, I am studying Citrix Provisioning Server and XenDesktop at the moment so there is not much room to learn this too.

On the other hand I might give it a go as it seems interesting and I've been wanting a reason to look at App-V for ages.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I updated my SME profile to include virtualizatio so we'll see what happens. At the request of my employer, I am working on the MDOP exam and Desktop Virtualization is a logical next step.
    stupidboy wrote: »
    Not sure on this one, I am studying Citrix Provisioning Server and XenDesktop at the moment so there is not much room to learn this too.
    Cool, are you planning on taking the PVS and XD certification exams? I want to do them in the near future since I'm responsible for an XD infrastructure and know the products well (at least I think I do icon_wink.gif).
    On the other hand I might give it a go as it seems interesting and I've been wanting a reason to look at App-V for ages.
    Mastering Microsoft Virtualization has a section on App-V that I found to be excellent for learning it. It's only about 50 pages, so it's not too much of a time investment.
    MentholMoose
    Cool, are you planning on taking the PVS and XD certification exams? I want to do them in the near future since I'm responsible for an XD infrastructure and know the products well (at least I think I do icon_wink.gif).

Yes, I will be taking both. I am working through the PvS course at the moment before moving on to XD. I have a project that starts very soon so I need to get this understood ASAP.

I have started mocking up my lab for XD as I was waiting for the courses to go via our long HR process. All in all very impressed with the simplicity and still raw power that you get from XenServer/XenDesktop/XenApp and PvS.
    Mastering Microsoft Virtualization has a section on App-V that I found to be excellent for learning it. It's only about 50 pages, so it's not too much of a time investment.

Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look.

I already have the Understanding Microsoft Virtualization Solutions eBook by Mitch Tulloch with the Microsoft Virtualization Teams, that Microsoft were giving away a free download. If memory serves there is a section on App-V and Med-V in there. It was this book that was an excellent reference for both Hyper-V and SCVMM. It looks like you can still download it here
    I already have the Understanding Microsoft Virtualization Solutions eBook by Mitch Tulloch with the Microsoft Virtualization Teams, that Microsoft were giving away a free download. If memory serves there is a section on App-V and Med-V in there. It was this book that was an excellent reference for both Hyper-V and SCVMM. It looks like you can still download it here

Well look at that ... one of the feeds that subscribe to has just mentioned this book was updated to cover R2. Check out Microsoft Press : Free ebook: Understanding Microsoft Virtualization Solutions (Second Edition)
    Well look at that ... one of the feeds that subscribe to has just mentioned this book was updated to cover R2. Check out Microsoft Press : Free ebook: Understanding Microsoft Virtualization Solutions (Second Edition)
    Excellent, thanks for the heads up!!
    MentholMoose
    anyone get the key email?

ive been waiting for an hour
    I'm still waiting too.
    anyone get the key email?

ive been waiting for an hour

Glad I'm not the only one.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one.

Seen nothing yet!
    Same here. Prometric site getting slammed at the moment.
    Got it, now Prometrics site is locking up trying to validate it.

I really cant stand MSlearning sometimes.
    jrobb259 wrote: »
    Same here. Prometric site getting slammed at the moment.

Man it is smashed up!
    It failed on the final click of registration and has now put me back to the beginning of the whole process.
    I got through via phone. The website hung on me about 5 times on the last click so i said eff it.
    I got through via phone. The website hung on me about 5 times on the last click so i said eff it.

Took a page from Hyper-Me's book and called. March 22nd for me.
  • bowulfbowulf Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the same tack as the website was horrible this morning. Reaching a service rep was actually pretty quick on the phone as well.
    Kent A.
    MCSE - Win2k & Win2k3, MCSA - Win2k3
    MCITP - Vista (EST) & Windows 2008, SA
    MCTS - Vista; Windows Server 2008 -- Active Directory(640), Network(642), Application Infrastructure (643)
    VMware Certified Professional (VCP) - 4,3.x,2.x
    I think MS Learning deserves some credit here. I think they know the Prometric website can get slow, so they sent the promo code during Prometric business hours to allow people to register via phone.

I didn't even bother trying to go through the web site, I called and got registered quickly and easily shortly after I got the email (my email was delayed until after 7AM PST). I'm scheduled for March 20, hopefully enough time to get through your 669 resources thread! :D
    MentholMoose
    I too had to call Prometric, but I got right through after all the announcements. I agree that MS deserves credit for their scheduling and hope that future beta exam registrations work this well.

Fortunately Prometric's site was working well enough to allow me to check scheduling. I had to try 4 test centers before I could find one with availability for two exams on my preferred date. Bad news is the site is the furthest of the 4 from my house, but I used it a few times since it was close to my old office and it is my favorite Prometric site in the area.

I scheduled 71-669 for the afternoon of 3/19 with the 70-656 MDOP exam in the morning. It's been a long time since I tried two exams in one day, but there is some crossover between the two so it makes sense to do them both.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I registered for this exam this morning. icon_thumright.gif
  • driiqdriiq Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    big credits toward MS and Prometric.
    Got the mail, site was pretty bumbed up but register like a charm by phone. Will take the exam the 22nd
    Its hard to blame Prometric and say they need to buy lots of new equipment just to handle the occasional beta registration.

I do blame MSL for not getting the code out on time. When its during the work day and you are engaged with clients, its hard enough to get away when you anticipate an important email but having it nearly 2 hours late really messes with things.

I prefer the midnight registrations myself, there is very little server congestion at that hour, so the website typically functions fine.