CCNA home lab help

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,
I will be studying ICND1 and 2 and will attempt to take the test in June, may be.
I need to build my own lab but I am still new and not sure what I am doing.
Heres what I have in my list:
I already have Cat6 bulk cable, so I can make a a patch or crossover if needed.
3x 2620 routers w/ 3x AC cord, 3x console cables, 3x rack mount kits and DVD video training.
2x 2950 switches w/ 2x AC cord, 2x console cables and 2x rack mount kits.
1x 12U rack - Can I really put 12units in this rack?

What about the WIC? I don't know which WIC to get and how many?
About the cables I am not sure if I am still missing something.

Thank you in advance.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    A good start to a good lab setup.

Get 3 wic-1t - 1 in each router

I would also get a router to act as a frame switch i.e. 2521, cheap as chips now.

You'll also need 3 x DB60 DTE/DCE cables

Once you have the router to act as a frame switch wire up as follows:

Plug all serials into frame switch.

Use two crossovers to connect switches and plug all ethernet ports into a switch with straight through cables. When you work on a lab just put each ethernet port into different Vlan to save you keep changing cables.

If you have a bit extra cash I would get 2 extra wic-1t and an extra DTE/DCE cable. Place another wic-1t card in R1 & R3 ( to practice ppp etc) This way once cabled up it can be left alone.

I used to hate re-cabling.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I just got back home from work.
    So it would be like 3x 2620 routers and 1x 2521 router(frame switch). [4 routers in total.]
    5x WIC-1T and 5x DB60 DTE/DCE cables.
    2x 2950 switches.
    1x 12U Cisco Rack.
    Is my shopping list right?
    Can I put all of this in 12U rack? I'm afraid of this rack might not be able to carry this routers.

I am having a hard time making a picture of your wiring scheme, but it is making sense to me.

EDIT:
    What is the difference between WIC-1DSU-T1 DSU/CSU and WIC-T1? I know the interface is different, but what about the functionality and purpose?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Save your money and use GNS3 or dynamips if you're skilled with Linux.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    I am thinking to get at least home-base experience, so that when I find a job I won't be look like a total noob.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    I am thinking to get at least home-base experience, so that when I find a job I won't be look like a total noob.

From what I have seen from others, from other techs that I have spoke to and from personal experience that I have gathered in only two days of setting up my equipment, having your own hardware is a great choice.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Can I put all of this in 12U rack? I'm afraid of this rack might not be able to carry this routers.

EDIT:
    What is the difference between WIC-1DSU-T1 DSU/CSU and WIC-T1? I know the interface is different, but what about the functionality and purpose?
    I have got 14 devices in a 16U rack, there are problems with doing this though - power and heat. Physically powering 14 items is a challenge with the cabling and can risk overloading mains sockets. I have my rack protected with surge protection and an earth leakage circuit breaker, also I try to avoid powering up the whole rack at one time. Fortunately my rack is in a coldish room so no heat problems.

Regarding the csu/dsu, usually when you get a service such as a leased line from a telco, they typically will run the cabling and present the service using an RJ45 socket somewhere in your comms / server room. There are then a few ways of getting this into a your router-

RJ45---->csu/dsu---->wic-1t in router

Where the csu/dsu is a separate convertor box typically provided by the telco. Anther way is using the WIC-1DSU-T1 with integrated csu/dsu-

RJ45---->WIC-1DSU-T1 in router

Obviously the WIC-1DSU-T1 is easier, less cabling, less to go wrong. Sounds perfect but it isn't. There's a horibble term in comms called the "demarkation point" (DP), this is the point where the telcos equipment ends and the users equipment starts, and who is responsible for any problems with the service/equipment.

Usually the DP on such a service is not the RJ45 socket they fit on the wall, it usually is the socket on the csu/dsu in effect making the DP between the csu/dsu and the wic-1t in your router.

RJ45---->csu/dsu-(DP)--->wic-1t in router

So while there is no reason why the csu can be thrown away and the router with a WIC-1DSU-T1 connected straight to the RJ45 on the wall, just wait until there is a problem with the service, it can then be a challenge dealing with the telco when they discover you have removed a bit of their equipment.

Thats how I understand it anyway.
    mgeorge wrote: »
    Save your money and use GNS3 or dynamips if you're skilled with Linux.
    Personally I would discourage the use of GNS3 and all at the ICND1 and maybe at the ICND2 level as well. While all the labbing required to pass the exams can be done using GNS3 / Packet Tracer etc having the hands on experience with physical equipment is so important.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    @mikem2te
    3x 2620 routers and 1x 2521 router(frame switch). [4 routers in total.]
    2x 2950 switches.

Thanks for explaining that. So for a home lab, should I be fine with these to pass CCENT and CCNA?
    And if Yes, how far does this setup would take me?
    Am I missing some more equipments for my lab?

The study material I'm going to use are ciscopress ICND1/2 by Wendell Odom and Sybex CCNA by Todd Lammel. (Check the links please)
    I definitely going to get the Sybex because I used Sybex to pass my Network+, and I like it a lot.
    The Ciscopress not sure if I should buy that or the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 separately.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    @mikem2te
    3x 2620 routers and 1x 2521 router(frame switch). [4 routers in total.]
    2x 2950 switches.

Thanks for explaining that. So for a home lab, should I be fine with these to pass CCENT and CCNA?
    And if Yes, how far does this setup would take me?
    Am I missing some more equipments for my lab?

The study material I'm going to use are ciscopress ICND1/2 by Wendell Odom and Sybex CCNA by Todd Lammel. (Check the links please)
    I definitely going to get the Sybex because I used Sybex to pass my Network+, and I like it a lot.
    The Ciscopress not sure if I should buy that or the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 separately.
    Your list looks good. If possible lookout for the XM versions of the 2600 (2620XM etc) and 2950 with EI (Enterprise Image), they have more scope for any future studies if you want to continue studying after CCNA.

The links for the books look ok to me. I got the ODOM box set and can recommend it.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Your list looks good. If possible lookout for the XM versions of the 2600 (2620XM etc) and 2950 with EI (Enterprise Image), they have more scope for any future studies if you want to continue studying after CCNA.

The links for the books look ok to me. I got the ODOM box set and can recommend it.

+1 on a XM model.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
    I can't find a 2950EI for less than $100.
    I can get a 3x 2620 for about $140. What I'm going to do is replace the 2521 with 2620XM, and make the one of the 2620 as the frame switch. How is that sound? Would that work?

When I pass the CCNA exam, I will move up to CCNP.

I am just wondering should I take the 640-802 or 640-822 and 640-816?

Time is the problem here, I think.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    I can't find a 2950EI for less than $100.
    I can get a 3x 2620 for about $140. What I'm going to do is replace the 2521 with 2620XM, and make the one of the 2620 as the frame switch. How is that sound? Would that work?

When I pass the CCNA exam, I will move up to CCNP.

I am just wondering should I take the 640-802 or 640-822 and 640-816?

Time is the problem here, I think.

I would keep the 2521 and use it as a Frame Relay switch. This way you are not really concerned about the IOS version as much.

I have a mixture of 2610s, 2611, 2620, 2621, 2620XM, 2621Xm, a VG200 and a couple of 1760s in my rack. Added are 3x2950s, 3549xl-en, 3550EMI (L3), a couple of 2980s and a few 2916/24 XL-ENs. IP phones etc. One of my 2610s I use as an Access Server with an NM-16A module.

All of my routers are @ max-Mem. the 262* have 64D/32F (Upgraded BootROM) and I am running voice compatible IOS on both.

There is a great deal one can do with the proper research. If you are in a hurry, you WILL spend a lot more than necessary.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    I just got back home from work.
    So it would be like 3x 2620 routers and 1x 2521 router(frame switch). [4 routers in total.]
    2x 2950 switches.
    1x 12U Cisco Rack.
    Is my shopping list right?

I am having a hard time making a picture of your wiring scheme, but it is making sense to me.

EDIT:

You only need 4 DTE/DCE cables: 1 from each wic-1t card to the frame switch (2521) and another to connect R1 & R3 for a point 2 point connection.

I've created a picture so you can see your topology.

I hope it helps.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    Thanks for providing that picture.
    What kind of software did you use to make that picture?
    Studying:
    Reading:
    What kind of software did you use to make that picture?

I just set it up in Packet Tracer 5.2, pressed print screen and cropped the image.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    @blackninja, what kind of DB60 DTE/DCE cables do I need?
    I can't find that cable. I did find some but they are DTE and there are a bunch of different ones. Can you please link me to the cable I need.
    This is the website where I am planning to buy my cables.
    CablesAndKits.Com

BTW, I just received my 3x 2620 routers and going to order the 2x 2950 and 4x WIC-1T on my next paycheck. According to my lab list those are the only one left.

edit:
    do i need a serial card for my pc? or is there a usb adapter?
    Studying:
    Reading:
    @blackninja, what kind of DB60 DTE/DCE cables do I need?
    I can't find that cable. I did find some but they are DTE and there are a bunch of different ones. Can you please link me to the cable I need.
    This is the website where I am planning to buy my cables.
    CablesAndKits.Com

BTW, I just received my 3x 2620 routers and going to order the 2x 2950 and 4x WIC-1T on my next paycheck. According to my lab list those are the only one left.

edit:
    do i need a serial card for my pc? or is there a usb adapter?

I can see how you are confused, it took me a while to find it.

DB60 DTE/DCE are also known as DB60 crossover cable, as they crossover from DTE to DCE.: Cisco DB60 to DB60 Cable, 3ft, CAB-HD60MMX-3

I would get either 3 or 5 wic-1t cards in total as with four, you'll just not use the forth. Check out the diagram again.

You can get usb - serial adapters for your PC but I've always had trouble with their drivers. If you have a spare PCI slot, personally, I'd go for the serial card.

If you haven't already I would highly recommend getting the 2521 for a frame relay switch. It makes a massive difference to the amount of labs you can run, and of course all important frame relay practice - which is big on the exam ;)

Oh, I almost forgot. When you get your lab setup download: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/42260-ccna-lab-workbook.html it's a pretty good workbook.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    What kind of serial PCi card do I need?
    Can you link me to it?
    If you can the USB adapter as well please.

Do I need to connect my PC to the switch or to the router1?
    Studying:
    Reading:
    What kind of serial PCi card do I need?
    Can you link me to it?
    If you can the USB adapter as well please.

Do I need to connect my PC to the switch or to the router1?

These are just the first ones I found on Ebay:

DUAL TWO 2 RS232 9 PIN PORTS SERIAL PCI EXPANSION CARD - eBay (item 230436495256 end time Mar-13-10 21:40:16 PST)

USB TO RS232 SERIAL DB9 9 PIN VISTA CABLE ADAPTER GPS - eBay (item 380197948251 end time Mar-16-10 22:17:14 PDT)

Wire ethernet port of the routers to the switch & wire the PC to the switch.

When you have set up the network, you can use use telnet to console to the devices.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    blackninja wrote: »

I knew they had some type of USB console cable but never looked in to it. Looks like this is the first portion of the cable, since it has a male serial, which connects to the console cable.
    blackninja wrote: »
    These are just the first ones I found on Ebay:

DUAL TWO 2 RS232 9 PIN PORTS SERIAL PCI EXPANSION CARD - eBay (item 230436495256 end time Mar-13-10 21:40:16 PST)

USB TO RS232 SERIAL DB9 9 PIN VISTA CABLE ADAPTER GPS - eBay (item 380197948251 end time Mar-16-10 22:17:14 PDT)

Wire ethernet port of the routers to the switch & wire the PC to the switch.

When you have set up the network, you can use use telnet to console to the devices.
    I am going to use my netbook for my lab because my desktop is kind of far. I might go for the USB since it is very cheap. I just need 1 serial to USB adapter, right? The reason I asked is the PCI card that you have provided has two serial ports.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    You just need one serial, then just move the other end to the console port of the router/switch you're configuring.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    Thank you for all the help
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Thank you for all the help

Anytime
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)