Passed mine this morning

I didn't really put much effort into studying for this exam. Probably the easiest exam out there today. I don't expect the 70-290 to be much harder, but the 70-291 is another story...

925/1000
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I didn't really put much effort into studying for this exam. Probably the easiest exam out there today. I don't expect the 70-290 to be much harder, but the 70-291 is another story...

925/1000

Mmmmm. I would not expect the 290 to be nearly as easy as the Vista exam. I can tell you straight up that the sims on the 290 easily set it up as an exam you should not underestimate. I'm not saying it is a hard test, but don't think it will be as easy as the Vista test. You didn't have any sims in that of the same type as you get in the 290.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Mmmmm. I would not expect the 290 to be nearly as easy as the Vista exam. I can tell you straight up that the sims on the 290 easily set it up as an exam you should not underestimate. I'm not saying it is a hard test, but don't think it will be as easy as the Vista test. You didn't have any sims in that of the same type as you get in the 290.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 70-290 will be much harder than the 70-620 was. I guess I just meant that I don't expect the 70-290 to be too difficult to prepare for because I've been working with Server 2003 on a day-to-day basis now for several years.

Any advice on my preparation?
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Three words for excellent preparation -->> LAB IT UP
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    Three words for excellent preparation -->> LAB IT UP

Could not have said it better myself. If you have the Nutshell book, I suggest you go through all the labs in it. If you have test out, do the same. The important thing with labbing, though, is to keep in mind that your questions for the sims might be more complex than just one task (reset a password, for example). You might have to do several tasks within the same sim...
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    IIRC the 290 covers a lot of the mundane stuff (like supported disk configurations) that you may not use daily.

I'd review the stuff you do know and study hard on topics you arent that familiar with. 620 was a cake walk compared to any other MS exam ive taken (except 652)
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    yeah, I have to agree that the 620 is probably among the easiest MS exams out there. In comparison to the 290, worlds apart. I had to do much more prep for the 290 (not to imply that the 620 didn't take prep or knowledge...it was just a different level of test in my humble opine). I didn't have the years of server experience, so for my 290, I used the MS Press book and TestOut and some hands on practice with virtual servers. If you've already got the hands on experience, then working through the MS Press book & the labs/exercises would likely be enough.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Great score mate but hey 291 is another story anyway good luck.
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    290 shouldn't be too hard for you, but as pointed out, it'll contain a bit of stuff that you may not use too often such CSVDE, LDIFDE etc, software RAID, exact functionality of Backup Exec, etc. Worst part for me was IIS; not my strongsuit.

Just work through each chapter and it'll be fine.

Incidentally, I saw the thread heading and immediately thought of kidney stones.