Options

how to simulate a multicast source?

yrenyren Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am doing PIM lab and have no idea how to get a working multicast source connected to R1/R2 because I am using VMWare+JUNOS8.5, there is no way to connect a real Linux+mgen to logical routersicon_sad.gif

Is there any command to do this? I think it can be done on Cisco if I remember correctly. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    You can use the 'bypass-routing' with the ping command to accomplish this.

Say you have the following topology
    Source-------R1--------R2-------R3-----Receiver

If the MC source is a Juniper router, such as an olive, then you can do a multicast ping by using the bypass-routing command.

For instance if receiver advertises 225.1.1.1 then from the Source you can do the following ping command.

ping 225.1.1.1 bypass-routing interface fe-0/0/0 ttl 10

The interface on the Source facing R1 is fe-0/0/0 and keep in mind that MC pings have a ttl of 1 by default so you must use the ttl command at the end of this line as in above.

Also, you don't want PIM enabled on the Source at all, best thing to do here is put a default route that points to R1 as the next hop.

HTH
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    yrenyren Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    You can use the 'bypass-routing' with the ping command to accomplish this.

Say you have the following topology
    Source-------R1--------R2-------R3-----Receiver

If the MC source is a Juniper router, such as an olive, then you can do a multicast ping by using the bypass-routing command.

For instance if receiver advertises 225.1.1.1 then from the Source you can do the following ping command.

ping 225.1.1.1 bypass-routing interface fe-0/0/0 ttl 10

The interface on the Source facing R1 is fe-0/0/0 and keep in mind that MC pings have a ttl of 1 by default so you must use the ttl command at the end of this line as in above.

Also, you don't want PIM enabled on the Source at all, best thing to do here is put a default route that points to R1 as the next hop.

HTH

Great! I suppose this command can also be issued from a logical router, right? I am doing lab from JNCIE book and don't have any real Juniper box. I will use P1 logical router as the MC source to send the ping and see if it works. Thanks!
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    yren wrote: »
    Great! I suppose this command can also be issued from a logical router, right? I am doing lab from JNCIE book and don't have any real Juniper box. I will use P1 logical router as the MC source to send the ping and see if it works. Thanks!

Yup, no problems issuing that from a logical router, just make sure you put the 'logical-router' tag in the command.

Also, if you are using routers without a tunnel/service PIC, and it sounds like there's no tunnel/service PICs in your setup, you are going to have trouble with spare-mode multicast unless your first-hop router is also your RP. Dense mode won't have a problem at all.

Good luck with your multicast study, and don't forgot to let things simmer after making a change. Damn multicast and it's slow convergence!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender