Options

Linux+ help?

D33D33 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I've noticed that CompTIA are changing the Linux+ so that it needs to be renewed every three years. However, if you pass it and receive certification this year then you only have to pass it once.

My question is, to anyone who might know, what exam do I study for?

The CompTIA website lists: XK0-002

However, the 2009 ( last year! ) study guide that just came out this year ( 26th Feb 2010 ) is for XK0-003 .... ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Linu...7444596&sr=8-1

So I'm assuming I can't use that book? I'd have to look for the study guide for XK0-002 if I want to study for the CURRENT Linux+ exam, right?

Can anyone confirm this or will the book linked be fine to use?

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Linux+ has not yet been mentioned by CompTIA as having a renewal requirement.
    The policy is given here, CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
    and only states that A+, Network+, and Security+ will have a renewal requirement for those certs issued after 12/31/2010. So far, all other CompTIA certs remain in effect for lifetime.

The new Linux+ has not been released yet, and it is anticipated that they will do that in late March. CompTIA Linux+ is the information site for this exam.

Yes, XK0-002 is the code for the present exam. Generally, the present exam is available for a while even after the new CompTIA exams are released, and can still be taken for a few weeks. Basically, the new exam guide should be used for the new and the old guide for the old to be sure that every subject of the exam objectives are covered. You should download the exam objectives and compare any study guide to the objectives of that particular version of the exam to be sure.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Hi D33,

I'm in the same boat. I started to study for the XK0-003 using the Brian Barber book then once i had finished realised that XK0-003 hasn't even been released yet. As Janmike said its due for release end of march but can anyone tell me if that will be worldwide release ? (im in the UK), i don't wanna have to wait another 3 months for it to be released here.

Thanks
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]