Options

Entry level resume

plbeatty88plbeatty88 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Patrick Beatty

123 Easy Street, Washington DC 20001

123-456-7890

**********@hotmail.com

Objective:

A challenging position in IT offering responsibility and opportunities for advancement.

Education:
_________ High School
_________, Maryland
Graduated June 2, 2006
General Studies

Work History:

Generic Technical Training
__________, VA
December 2009-Present
Technical Intern
Wage: Unpaid internship
Job responsibilities include seating and proctoring exams, classroom setup and management, troubleshooting/fixing testing and classroom equipment, answering phone calls, handling registrations over the phone, minor troubleshooting of the centers network infrastructure.

Best Buy Co., Inc.
DC and VA
September 2007-Present
Geek Squad Counter Intelligence Agent
Wage: $XX.XX
Diagnosed computer problems at the counter, checked in customers equipment for proper services. Set up computers for customer use, including installing/configuring drivers, hot fixes and software, making sure computer were fully updated and functional. Fixed old computers, including removing viruses and replacing defective hardware. Processed returns and operated cash register every day. Occasionally helped on the sales floor and in all other departments.

Real Estate/Property Management Co.
_______, NC
October 2006-June 2007
Assistant Office Manager/Real Estate Assistant
Reason for leaving: Career advancement
Job responsibilities included, collecting rent, processing court paperwork, renting houses to new clients and inspecting homes for property management division. Helped Realtors/Brokers with activities while learning hands on about investing, buying and selling real estate.

Computer Skills:
- Diagnosed many computers over the past 2 years.
- Efficient with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
- Very interested in computer hardware upgrades and spend free time researching and working on my own personal computer.

Professional Certifications:
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
MCSA (Currently attending evening classes and plan on having my MCSA by the end of March.)

Non-Profit Work:
Entire Village Computers Organization (EVCO)
Helped customers while working at Geek Squad to donate old, usable computers to EVCO. Also helped to fix and pack up computers for shipment and eventual setup to various countries/villages in Africa.
2007-Present

Comments

• Options
    Needless to say I'm 21 and plan on starting college in the summer.

Also I plan on being MCSE and bridge to MCITP by the end of July at the latest.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I'm about to head out to work and don't have time to look this over too thoroughly. However, the one thing I noticed was that you were including your wages...

Employers don't need to know if an internship was unpaid or how much you made at Best Buy, at least not on the resume. If they need that information they will ask you for it later in the interview process.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    So, basically, you do not have any post secondary education?
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Employers don't need to know if an internship was unpaid or how much you made at Best Buy, at least not on the resume. If they need that information they will ask you for it later in the interview process.
    +1, they will ask if they want to know.

You don't need an objective on a resume. Employers all know your objective, to get a job.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    +1, they will ask if they want to know.

You don't need an objective on a resume. Employers all know your objective, to get a job.
    agreed on the removal of the wages...and also on the objective part. I've never really liked the usage of the objective section (since as captobvious said, it's well...obvious that your objective is to get a job!) and I prefer using a summary section. I would also recommend removing the "reason for leaving" - that's information that is typically requested during an interview or on a job application, if it is required information. No need to give them info they don't need at this stage of the game.

I'd probably remove the education section since it doesn't list anything past high school - I may be wrong, but I think the assumption is that you've got at least a high school diploma. If you have any post-high school education, then keep the education section & add it there. If not, and if you have training to list, make a training section...or a training/certs section. I wouldn't include the MCSA under your certifications list since you don't actually have it yet - if you want to include your accomplishments toward the MCSA so far, you can instead indicate that you're an MCP & (if you want to) indicate which exams you've passed/topics you're certified in. You can also discuss your ongoing training/certification plan in your cover letter.

I'd also recommend reworking the computer skills section - could you provide more details about the troubleshooting you've done? OS's you've supported? Specific skills you have? No offense, but a potential employer's not going to really care that you spend your free time on doing 'research' on computers and the phrase 'working on my own personal computer' is a bit vague...and can mean anything from playing with virtual machines to plain old playing. My opinion is that these things don't really have a place on a resume, and they can either be mentioned in a cover letter (if you feel that you need to communicate this information) or it can be discussed come interview time.

For the job-by-job info...if you can, list out things you've accomplished, rather than just day to day job tasks.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    woah remove the wage thing ASAP.

Part of the job-finding process is negotiating for a wage you desire. Employers will undercut you every single time if they think/know they can.
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    If you're entry level in I.T, how many years experience should you go back on a resume?
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMHO:

Get a new E-mail address... free mails look lame

Lose objectives. Interviewer...if they have any brains... will figure you out and if you match the role they're looking for

Lose mentioning of wages and reasons of leaving.

Move everything you find important to the TOP... IE... you're looking for computer work... list what you did.... not every job... but elaborate...Diagnosed many computers over the past 2 years.
    is WAY tooo general.
    Same with Efficient with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
    I'm sure you can elaborate.... install linux learn the basics, it may help you

Very interested in computer hardware upgrades and spend free time researching and working on my own personal computer.
    Of course you're somewhat interested in computers.... you're applying for a computer related job. Free time researching and working on my personal computer??? You make mention of this as a hobby and it's the only thing you mention in your free time. You sound like someone who only plays WOW and has no social life. Either drop it, or elaborate on what you like to do with your free time in another section. It may not sound so professional to many... but for those employers who like to have employees they can hang out with after work, making mention of i play hockey/soccer/gym etc may make conversation during an interview with a relaxed boss that much more comfortable and may make them like you even more... to me that makes it sound like you're not self-centered and an unsocial twirp.... but every interviewer is different and everyone has a diff opinion on this topic.

If you have no extensive hands on with whatever companies throw something like this together:

Experience with the following Operating Systems and Programs:
    (Note – Experience for the items below are from: Home, College, or Work)
    Windows 3.x/95/98/2000/XP/7
    Windows Server 2000/2003
    Active Directory
    Linux
    Microsoft Office 2000/2003/2007/Visio
    Symantec and Kaspersky Anti-virus
    administration
    Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image
    DHCP/IIS/Apache/mySQL/WSUS/
    ESXi/VMware Server
    Symantec Backup Exec
    Zebra Firewall
    Logmein/VNC/RDP

If you have post secondary:

Key Courses:
    Database Fundamentals
    Microsoft Server Administration
    Unix Administration
    Web Server Administration
    TCP/IP Fundamentals
    Certifications:
    CCNA – Currently working towards certification.

And the section I mentioned:

INTERESTS
    Working out at the gym
    Taking part in sports (ball hockey, soccer, etc.)
    Upgrading IT industry knowledge

If you have any computer related experience you could do something like:

PC Support Technician

Setup and installed new computers for employees
    Worked as a team and independently efficiently
    Troubleshoot computer software and hardware issues
    Tracked and updated Remedy™ tickets regarding IT issues
    Performed system backups/restorations/data migrations
    Communicated with internal employees via E-mail, phone, personal visitation

Or telecommunications administrator:

Programmed digital and analog phone lines while working with the Nortel PBX system
    Setup/moved/modified/repaired/removed employee phone sets
    Worked with a team and independently to complete tasks efficiently
    Tracked and updated Remedy™ tickets regarding internal employee telephone issues

This section to me sounds totally lame:
    Helped customers while working at Geek Squad to donate old, usable computers to EVCO. Also helped to fix and pack up computers for shipment and eventual setup to various countries/villages in Africa.
    i don't know who EVCO is.... just make mention you know how and where to recycle old PCs and hardware to, but also try to pack in the valuable PC software/hardware knowledge you gained. What did you FIX... OS/Hardware type.... even if you feel that what you had your hands on was complete junk.... list the critical areas a potential employer may look at your resume harder than anyone else in the stack of 100+ resumes... you need to separate yourself from the others....

send me a PM when you've revamped your resume and i'll give you my e-mail address to which you can send me your resume... i've got this wicked resume template IMO that some broad paid like $300 for that she gave me for free... i'll apply it to whatever info you update and send it back to you... i was in your shoes too at one point... hell i've had over 16 jobs in earlier days... i'll do this for free... just make an honest attempt at revamping it. i think i know the feeling you're probably having of not knowing what to write on a resume to fill up white space.... you just need a way into a job now so you can add whatever exp into it and fill in that white space.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out the resume do's and don'ts thread
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stuppored wrote: »
    IMHO:

Get a new E-mail address... free mails look lame

WTF? free mails look lame now icon_rolleyes.gif I guess.

I will say keep the objective because it helps to answer one of those questions that could come up on a phone interview (so where do you see yourself, where do you want to be in 5 years, etc) if the objective is written correctly.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    knwminus wrote: »
    WTF? free mails look lame now icon_rolleyes.gif I guess.

Yeah, whats wrong with free email? I use a gmail or yahoo address on mine. As long as its professional like first.last or some combination I don't think it matters personally.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    plbeatty88 wrote: »
    Patrick Beatty

123 Easy Street, Washington DC 20001

123-456-7890

**********@hotmail.com

Objective:

A challenging position in IT offering responsibility and opportunities for advancement.

This objective is ok. I think you should add something about what you can bring, even if it is generic. You may want to do some google foo on good objectives if you choose to keep it.

Education:

_________ High School
    _________, Maryland
    Graduated June 2, 2006
    General Studies

How was your GPA? Did you take any IT classes or business classes? I think you should strip the general studies off of this section. Also are you working towards going to school (university/college)?
    Work History:

Generic Technical Training
    __________, VA
    December 2009-Present
    Technical Intern
    Wage: Unpaid internship
    Job responsibilities include seating and proctoring exams, classroom setup and management, troubleshooting/fixing testing and classroom equipment, answering phone calls, handling registrations over the phone, minor troubleshooting of the centers network infrastructure.

Best Buy Co., Inc.
    DC and VA
    September 2007-Present
    Geek Squad Counter Intelligence Agent
    Diagnosed computer problems at the counter, checked in customers equipment for proper services. Set up computers for customer use, including installing/configuring drivers, hot fixes and software, making sure computer were fully updated and functional. Fixed old computers, including removing viruses and replacing defective hardware. Processed returns and operated cash register every day. Occasionally helped on the sales floor and in all other departments.

Real Estate/Property Management Co.
    _______, NC
    October 2006-June 2007
    Assistant Office Manager/Real Estate Assistant
    Reason for leaving: Career advancement
    Job responsibilities included, collecting rent, processing court paperwork, renting houses to new clients and inspecting homes for property management division. Helped Realtors/Brokers with activities while learning hands on about investing, buying and selling real estate.

Like others have said, get the wage information off of your resume asap. I would take the reason for leaving off of your resume as well. I am kind of on the fence about the Real Estate job listed on your resume. I have been working since I was 16 but I don't have my taco bell, cracker barrel, or tim hortins job on my resume. Did you do any technical work there?

Computer Skills:

- Diagnosed many computers over the past 2 years.
    - Efficient with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
    - Very interested in computer hardware upgrades and spend free time researching and working on my own personal computer.

This section is weak. I honestly don't think you need it there at all. This is what an interview is for.
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    MCSA (Currently attending evening classes and plan on having my MCSA by the end of March.)

I would leave the MCSA on their and just say in progress. That way they know what you are working on and what path you plan on following. I have a WIP section that I have updated when I complete my cert goals (CCNA:S) and I think that is ok. I would put a MCM (Microsoft certified Master) or a CCIE or any other unrealistic goals for the next 6-12 months but a MCSA is imo ok. Once you get the MCSA update you WIP section (MCSE/MCITP in progress on whatever).

Non-Profit Work:
    Entire Village Computers Organization (EVCO)
    2007-Present

Move this up to your work experience section and nuke the real estate job
  • Options
    Yeah, whats wrong with free email? I use a gmail or yahoo address on mine. As long as its professional like first.last or some combination I don't think it matters personally.

This is exactly what I do.

Firstname.lastname@yahoo.com and @google.com. I think that is fine. I don't use my personal email address (willworkforsexcallmenow@yahoo.com) on my resume.
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is exactly what I do.

Firstname.lastname@yahoo.com and @google.com. I think that is fine. I don't use my personal email address (willworkforsexcallmenow@yahoo.com) on my resume.

Alright you guys have a point... i just said that out of my honest opinion. First name/last name sounds alright. But if your ISP hooks you up with an e-mail address, wouldn't that look that much better.
  • Options
    Alright you guys have a point... i just said that out of my honest opinion. First name/last name sounds alright. But if your ISP hooks you up with an e-mail address, wouldn't that look that much better.

Why would it look better? I trust google to manage their mail servers better than I can manage my own, for now.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why would it look better? I trust google to manage their mail servers better than I can manage my own, for now.
    One option is to buy a domain name ($5-10/year or so) and set it up with a free Google Apps account. In any case I don't think using a hotmail address is a problem.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    One option is to buy a domain name ($5-10/year or so) and set it up with a free Google Apps account. In any case I don't think using a hotmail address is a problem.

Cool. Rep for you. I think I will check this out.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

I do this for a couple of domains. Strange thing is i use my email at one of them and it was a domain for a consulting gig I was doing for a bit. You would think that employers would think I would be competing on the side but i've never been asked about it.
  • Options
    Firstly, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I also wanted to clarify a couple of things. I usually don't post stuff like this, but my cousin gave me some advice on writing resume's and I was very suspect of the advice so that's the reason I posted the resume. Turn's out that most of the stuff you guys bashed is the stuff she recommended.

I did resort the resume and tried to take all of your advice and this is what I came up with:
    Patrick Beatty
    Address

Objective: A challenging position in IT offering responsibility and opportunities for advancement.

Education:
    _____ High School
    _____, Maryland
    Graduated June 2, 2006

Community College
    _____, Maryland
    January 2010 – Present
    Area of study: Info Systems

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    Microsoft Certified Professional –
    Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Work History:

Technical Training
    _____, Virginia
    December 2009-Present
    Job Title: Technical Intern
    Job responsibilities:

- Seating and proctoring exam rooms.
    - Classroom setup and maintenance.
    - Answering the phone.
    - Registering/scheduling candidates for exams.
    - Assisting with sales leads.

Best Buy Co., Inc.
    _____, Virginia
    September 2007-Present
    Job Title: Geek Squad Counter Intelligence Agent

Job Responsibilities:
    - Diagnosing a multitude of computer problems, ranging from simple computer education, to more severe operating system corruptions/malware infections.

- Checking in customers equipment for proper services.
    - Setting up computers for customer use, including installing/configuring drivers, hot fixes and software, making sure computers are fully updated and functional.
    - Fixing old computers, including removing viruses and replacing defective hardware.
    - Processing returns and operating a cash register every day.
    - Occasionally helping on the sales floor and in all other departments within the store.

Entire Village Computers Organization (evcoafrica.org)
    _____, Maryland
    2007-Present
    Job Title: Volunteer
    - Assisting customers while working at Geek Squad to donate old, usable computers to EVCO.

- Helping to fix and pack up computers for shipment and eventual setup to various countries/villages in Africa.
  • Options
    Firstly, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I also wanted to clarify a couple of things. I usually don't post stuff like this, but my cousin gave me some advice on writing resume's and I was very suspect of the advice so that's the reason I posted the resume. Turn's out that most of the stuff you guys bashed is the stuff she recommended.

I did resort the resume and tried to take all of your advice and this is what I came up with:
    Patrick Beatty
    Address

123-456-7890
    Patrick.Beatty@mail.com

Objective:A challenging position in IT offering responsibility and opportunities for advancement.

Education:
    _____ High School
    _____, Maryland
    Graduated June 2, 2006

Community College
    _____, Maryland
    January 2010 – Present
    Area of study: Info Systems

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    Microsoft Certified Professional –
    Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Work History:

Technical Training
    _____, Virginia
    December 2009-Present
    Job Title: Technical Intern
    Job responsibilities:

- Seating and proctoring exam rooms.
    - Classroom setup and maintenance.
    - Answering the phone.
    - Registering/scheduling candidates for exams.
    - Assisting with sales leads.

Best Buy Co., Inc.
    _____, Virginia
    September 2007-Present
    Job Title: Geek Squad Counter Intelligence Agent

Job Responsibilities:
    - Diagnosing a multitude of computer problems, ranging from simple computer education, to more severe operating system corruptions/malware infections.

- Checking in customers equipment for proper services.
    - Setting up computers for customer use, including installing/configuring drivers, hot fixes and software, making sure computers are fully updated and functional.
    - Fixing old computers, including removing viruses and replacing defective hardware.
    - Processing returns and operating a cash register every day.
    - Occasionally helping on the sales floor and in all other departments within the store.

Entire Village Computers Organization (evcoafrica.org)
    _____, Maryland
    2007-Present
    Job Title: Volunteer
    - Assisting customers while working at Geek Squad to donate old, usable computers to EVCO.

- Helping to fix and pack up computers for shipment and eventual setup to various countries/villages in Africa.

I like it icon_thumright.gif. The only thing I would say is take off what test you passed to do the MCP. This could by my thought (and hopefully personal preference bu this time next month) . Still I like it a lot though.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□

you sir deserve to be in the corner for this comment. most pplz have been with their isp for YEARS and dont even remember their email addys they had set up. free email addys are lame???? ummm yeah ok. i didnt know someone putting an msn email, or aol or RoadRunner, OptOnline, Cox, Comcast, etc email was better/more impressive than gmail or yahoo or hotmail....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *reads Bradley's comment and then looks at avatar* bwahahahaha icon_lol.gif

But yeah, the revision looks good.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't forget the 10 second rule. Given a stack of resumes (or the results of a resume database search), you usually get 10 seconds or less to convince someone to toss your resume into the pile for further consideration (or keep reading it more closely) versus tossing it into the trash.

I'd only lead with Education if you were a recent University Graduate with no work experience -- or had nothing else.

And listing your high school graduation date gives me a chance to count on my fingers and guess you're 22 and probably unmarried & expensive to insure for a job that might include driving a company vehicle.

Your Community College is more impressive and relevant to your objective than being a high school graduate -- and is probably more recent. List the CC before the HS within your Education Section.

I don't have a problem with people listing their objective. I've tossed resumes into the trash from help desk people who earned a CCNA hoping to get off the phone because their lead off summary stressed their people skills and Microsoft Office support skills -- and the only thing Cisco or network related at all on their resume was their CCNA Certification.

Your experience and certifications are probably the most eye catching things you have now to find a new tech job, so I'd list those after the objective and before your education.

When you have that degree, then you'd probably move education before certifications (and lose the HS Diploma).

Adjust your resume as needed for each position you apply for. If you ever get a Bachelors in Network Security and apply for a Network Security position, then you might move education back to the top if it's more relevant for the position you're applying for than your work experience.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    I have many different version of my resume and what worked for me was putting my skills at the top.

I had a statement saying a little bit about me instead of an objective followed by skills, then certifications, then experience, and finally education.

I do not have a degree but I still put the little bit of college that I did attend. At my interview they did not ask me but if they were too I would say I couldn't pay for it at the time and had an opportunity to work.

I hope this helps.