Options

Microsoft's common sense tip for 70-290

ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
Since I use this website many times each day, I like to give back when I can.

Since I am studying for the 70-290 exam and using Microsoft's Windows Server 2003 Environment Training Kit, I will try to post some of the "Exam Tips" given in the book.

Just a few caveats -- first I reword the tips, so any mistakes will be mine, second, I make mistakes so please feel to correct me.

I will post these as I come across them in my studies

Page 2-26

Exam Tip:

In regards to Remote Assistance: Windows 2000 ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) does NOT support UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)

This is where Microsoft gets "fuzzy": if you are running a W2K Server network and if you try to remote into a remote office running XP Pro, there are difficulties; however, there is no example of what these mysterious "difficulties" are.

~Obdurate~

Comments

• Options
    Only because I have seen this type of question before:

MMCs (Microsoft Management Console) when saved have a .msc extension. An example would be Active Directory Users and Computers which is Dsa.msc.

Dsa is Directory Services Administrator.msc

~Obdurate~

PS For those who live in the North East -- repeat after me: "I should have moved to Hawaii!"
  • Options
    A simple one for today but good to know:

In regards to DSquery commands -- Inactivity is specified in weeks, but password changes are specified in days

~Obdurate~
  • Options
    Domain Functional Levels:

There are four domain functional levels:

Windows 2000 mixed -- supports NT 4, W2K and a W2K3 Domain Controller

Windows 2000 native -- supports W2K and W2K3 Domain Controllers

Windows Server 2003 interim -- supports NT 4 and W2K3 Domain Controllers

and finally

Windows Server 2003 -- supports W2K3 Domain Controllers

I always get these questions wrong. icon_cry.gif

~Obdurate~
  • Options
    Both Csvde and Ldifde provide import and export capabilities; however, Ldifde is not as intuitive as is the comma delimited file supported by Csvde.

Keep in mind that only Ldifde is capable of modifying existing objects or removing objects.

~Obdurate~
  • Options
    Only because I found this interesting (and probably a good test question)

This is in regards to the dsmove command for any object:

dsmove ObjectDN [-newname NewName] [-newparent ParentDN]

The -newname parameter allows you to rename an object (so basically if you want to rename an object, you have to use the dsmove command, which sounds rather goofy)

The example given made a lot of sense to me:

To move a computer named Elvis from the computer container to the Accounting OU, you would type:

dsmove "CN=Elvis,CN=Computers,DC=Contoso,DC=Com" -newparent "OU=Accounting,DC=Contoso,DC=Com"

Where CN is a container and OU is the typical Organizational Unit.

~Obdurate~