Options

router error any body seen this one?

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
here is the output from router

0:26:46: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested
System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c)XB2, PLATFORM SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

Loading c2500-is-l.122-26.bin ... [timed out]

File read failed -- Time out
System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c)XB2, PLATFORM SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

skipped
Router_A(boot)

no sh flash or sh boot commands work

thinking about trying to refomat flash and load from scratch
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you install the IOS from TFTP or did it already come on the Flash? If it already came on the flash try switching the two flash slots. Otherwise, you could check the boot-helper image or verify that the flash is readable in rommon. If anything you could try to re TFTP the IOS after the boot image loads. You could also revert back to your original IOS and see if you can boot that image. If you can the you have a bad image and you need to re-download it.
  • Options
    thx, i'll try it

going to install a wired tftp server this week icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    i have removed all boot sys statements and not its trying to load another image i don't know of at all icon_confused.gif

anyone got any ideas?

still can't check whats in flash

Loading cisco2-2500 ... [timed out]

File read failed -- Time out
    Compiled Mon 05-Oct-98 10:52 by jaturner
    Image text-base: 0x01010000, data-base: 0x00001000

Configuration register is 0x2102
    Router_A(boot)#
  • Options
    It is trying to boot a default 2500 image from the network. Your router cannot access the flash either. Since you do not have any boot statements the router will use the default boot order.

Flash
    Net
    rxboot

I think you may have bad flash. Can you re-tftp from rxboot? It may be able to erase your flash. Otherwise you may have to get a new stick of Flash. You could also try to boot the image from TFTP, this should give you more commands than rxboot.
  • Options
    i've tried to do that it says that not enough room for iamage to load.. i had came to that conclusion about it being the flash gone bad icon_confused.gif well something that i haven't seen before but its good to have issues to make u all the better icon_cool.gif

thx tune
  • Options
    Do you have a pcmcia flash memory in your 3640? You could boot your 3640 from the card then try to format the flash simm in the 3640. If you can format the simm with the 3640 then it should be good.

Another thing, if you have two flash simms in the 2500 then only one may be bad.
  • Options
    LMAO!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

i went to take the router outta service in the lab and heard something "clank"
    inside the case
    icon_eek.gif

then when i opened the case come to find out the simm had came out!

once i reinstalled it after inspecting case it booted just fine
  • Options
    That is too funny. You can at least be thankful that nothing is broken.
  • Options
    yep, all the logical thinking in the world doesn't compair to jus look inside it LOL
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, regardless, I think you two built up a useful topic here for troubleshooting the flash error. And I can't think of a better way of learning things than experiences like this. Plus it makes some fun reading. :D
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    *nods* I've seen that error before on routers with bad PCMCIA flash cards. It's funny that your chip was actually loose. I got in a 2621XM a few weeks ago that was supposed to be bundled with an AIM VPN card. When I pulled it out of the box, I heard a clunk inside the case. Opened it up, and the idjuts had just stuck the AIM card on, didn't mount it and didn't include the standoffs or screws in the packaging so I could mount it. By the time I got done with the vendor, he was tripping all over himself to overnight me the screws and standoffs (company policy, we RMA anything that isn't complete unless the vendor is willing to make good on whatevers missing)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=