looking at new routers for BSCI lab

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
jus as it says.. I need some opinions on which routers to buy for bsci lab.. currently i have 2 2501's and a 3640 which needs some upgrades in order for me to use it .. i have thought about getting a 4500 but not really sure and thinking on getting some more 2500's but i need more than 2 serial connections for what i have in mind.. still considering a 2600 but cost is an issue any ideas?
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 4700M with a NP-6e and NP-4T would be a good start. For heavy frame relay you could get two NP-4Ts. You can also get a single fast ethernet module NP-1FE to do Intervlan routing and other stuff.

The only problem with the 4500/4700 series is that cisco doesn't support IOS upgrades any more. The best IOS you can get is

c4500-jk9o3s-mz.122-2.T

It has enterprise, firewall, IPSec, QOS, IS-IS, IPv6, and many other features. You need at least 16MB flash and 64MB DRAM. You should also look for 8-16MB shared memory if you plan on using high bandwidth modules. I have 2 4700s with NP-4e, NP-6e, and NP-1A multimode ATM modules. When I installed the ATM modules I found that my 4MB chips weren't big enough and had to upgrade them.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thx , tune... its been a while

i was looking at some 4500's
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Update i managed to get a 4700+m with 2 serial interfaces and 2 ethernet card for a good deal.. the guy offered to sell me 2 more off lease i haven't thought it through yet but i may