Options

Wireless Employment

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hi there, this is to all you CWNA, CWSP, CWNP, CCNA Wireless, or CCNP Wireless. Basically i was just wondering if any of you work in just doing wireless alone? whether consulting or with a company that consults, but just dedicate your craft to wireless.

Some questions,

1. Do you have a problem finding jobs?
2. Is the pay good?
3. How many major brands of wireless equipment do you work with?
4. What certifications do you feel are necessary to stay competitive in the wireless industry?

I want to get back into wireless and I am looking at these certs, i know there is a security cert , i forgot which one it is, but its based off the backtrack OS? Give me your opinions on the market and your enjoyment working with this technology, im looking for the pros and cons i guess. Thanks everyone.
Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Hi there, this is to all you CWNA, CWSP, CWNP, CCNA Wireless, or CCNP Wireless. Basically i was just wondering if any of you work in just doing wireless alone? whether consulting or with a company that consults, but just dedicate your craft to wireless.

Some questions,

1. Do you have a problem finding jobs?
    2. Is the pay good?
    3. How many major brands of wireless equipment do you work with?
    4. What certifications do you feel are necessary to stay competitive in the wireless industry?

I want to get back into wireless and I am looking at these certs, i know there is a security cert , i forgot which one it is, but its based off the backtrack OS? Give me your opinions on the market and your enjoyment working with this technology, im looking for the pros and cons i guess. Thanks everyone.

OSWP

The Ethical Hacker Network - OSWP - Offensive Security Wireless Professional

BackTrack WiFu Wireless Security Training
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CWNA and CWSP are going to be where you want to start.

I personally found the OWSP/WiFu course to be extremely outdated since it focuses primarily on WEP (although the 802.11 background info is stellar). If you're looking for a wireless pen testing cert, I'd go with GAWN instead (although it costs ten times as much).

CWSP focuses on implementing a secure infrastructure and doesn't really get into the attacks. It's very good info to have if you're aspiring to be, or are, a wireless professional.

I'd hold off on the vendor-centric certs until you're sure you've determine the one(s) you want to work with. There are several other big players in the wireless market besides Cisco. I played around on a $40k Aruba system the other day. It was slick!