Check your transcript

mitchrlmitchrl Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings all

I know there are a few of you out there that have received MCSA/MCSE Security with Comptia certs. I received the Security specialization with a combination of A+/Security+. I guess what Microsoft giveth, they can taketh away.

I was reviewing my transcript and noticed that I no longer have the Security certifications and they also now show up in the certification planner. Apparently Microsoft only accepts the Security+ cert from Comptia.

I am trying to confirm this with Microsoft and find out the what, where and when of the change of policy. My biggest problem with this is that I have a few resumes out there that refer to the certs that I thought I have earned. I'll probably take the 299 just to make sure I don't have these coming back to haunt me.

Anyway, I just want to alert everybody that may have the same issues but have yet to notice the changes. I probably should have waited until I had confirmed this but I feel it's important enough to justify a post now.

Regards,
Robert

Comments

• mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
    Hi,
    thanks for leeting us know. I have just checked it, I'm in the same boat.
    I talked to Microsoft (useless), basicaly the only thing they were able to say is: there has been a mistake in the system (f****s).

I have been certified as MCSA:Security for 9 months, now suddenly they woke up, claiming that there was a problem with their system.

Speechless, just because they are a big company, they think they can do whatever they wish, without explanation!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see I'll need to go for another exam (70-299).

Mikesz
    Long term plan:
    2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
    2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
    2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    So I have the A+, Network+ and Security+.
    What will Microsoft not count anymore?
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got off the phone with MS about this and the Rep told me that anyone that currently holds the MCSE: Security specialization that used A+,N+ & Sec+ is still valid.

However MS is no longer accepting A+ & N+ as perquisites. Only Sec+
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly that makes sense. A+/Net+ do not contribute any value to the Security specialization. It sucks that this happened but it is, imo, the correct thing to do.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Can we still use the A+ / Network+ towards MCSA:2003?
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer: Security

Looks like I'm still good.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • humdingy02humdingy02 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm only an MCSA, no longer an MCSA: Security. Honestly though, it did feel kinda cheap that my Security+ counted as one elective, while Security+ AND A+ as a pair, counted as another.
    WGU - BS, IT Security (starting Feb 1st, 2012)
    Remaining: LUT1,QBT1,DFV1,BOV1,HHT1,QLT1,RIT1,IWC1,IWT1,DJV1,KET1,TPV1,MGC1,CVV1,CJV1,KFT1,CNV1,SBT1,RGT1
    Completed: WFV1,CLC1,INT1,CUV1,CQV1,BNC1,GAC1
    Transferred: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,AXV1,CPV1,INC1,CSV1,COV1,CTV1,DHV1,BVC1
  • beatblambeatblam Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Just ignorant about how to go about certifying for MSCA: Security, what are the requirements pliz assist guys which subjects do I have to write?.....

Currently working on my CompTIA Security+ exam.
  • hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Had MCSA:S for 9 months now gone.

Microsoft said system error gave it to me.

I asked why they did ot tell and just removed it. They said we are supposed to check the transcript often.

BS!
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hill1221 wrote: »
    Had MCSA:S for 9 months now gone.

Microsoft said system error gave it to me.

I asked why they did ot tell and just removed it. They said we are supposed to check the transcript often.

BS!

Looking at the tests that you passed it was a system error; MCSA always needed 299 and (350 OR Security+)

MCSE always needed 298, 299 and (350 OR Security+)

They made a mistake when they coded the automated matrix from the hand charts as stated on their forums. Juniper appears to use the same matrix software (at least it looks 99% identical) and they also had problems with theirs last year but just not awarding certain certs at all. It appears that Prometric can feed right into it.

Since you have Security+, take 299 and you should get it back.

350 goes away in October replaced by 351 (ISA 2006)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can we still use the A+ / Network+ towards MCSA:2003?

Yes you can

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)

the confusion is that MS does not let you use an exam in two spots. Therefore you need two exams to get the security specialization and Security+ only counts as one.

clear as mud right?

p.s. those really are two different links above :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Although the MCSA is irrelevant to me, things such as this really piss me off.

Here's the thread that I posted almost two years ago when I was unexpectedly awarded the MCSA: Security. Several others have posted similar threads.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/33293-puzzled.html

As stated in the thread, I verified with Microsoft that I had indeed earned the MCSA: Security. They indicated that I had met the requirements. I still have the email from them.

Now, based on this thread and out of curiosity I check my transcript. I am only an MCSA.

I asked them to independently verify and supposedly they did this almost 2 years ago. I still have the email from MCPHelp.
    MCPHelp wrote:
    Hello Michael,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding MCSA Requiement.

We value your time and want to provide you with excellent service.

We would like to inform you that as you have completed the requiement for MCSA and MCSA Security,so your transcript is updated with both the Certifications.

So much for "excellent service".

MS
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    (!*#^$(*!#^$%^%!)(*#^$()!#*^$ MICROSOFT!!!! Amazing. As eMeS stated, I have a similar email, a Microsoft certificate and wallet card stating MCSA:Security. I just happened to be looking at the certification planner the other day and noticed the changes! I even called MS last year when I got the MCSA:Security to verify.

Here is what I got back from MS today after sending them an email about it:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the certifications.

The MCSA: Security certification was updated due to some technical issues. Earlier the CompTIA credentials were added in combination and then they were updated individually. You will now need to pass one Security specialization exam to achieve MCSA 2003: Security.

You may visit the link below to view the requirements:

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

This just inforces my desire to switch to Cisco certs after finishing my MCSE. I always see Cisco certs paying WAY more than MS stuff anyways, at least in this area. Yeah, it's one test, but still BS. More of a prinicipal issue than anything. The fact that they did this, knowing there would be people asking questions, is bad business and then acting like "deal with it." LOL, like they were thinking...."ssshhhhhh! Maybe no one will notice."
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How difficult is the 299?
    Decide what to be and go be it.