New to TechExams, not to IT

planetbrianplanetbrian Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just saying hello. I have been studying for A+ Core for a few weeks now and happened upon this site. Hoping to take Core April 29th. Hope I can memorize all these tables by then. :D
PlanetBrian

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Welcome Brian,

What study material are you using to prepare for the exam?
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    welcome!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will get enough help on this site from us and the technotes to pass your exam. Good luck with your certs!
  • planetbrianplanetbrian Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using TestOut, along with QOD from TechExams, and some OJT I have gotten over the last few years. Nothing like good ol trial and error. I have been studying about 2 hours a night for the last 2 weeks or so. I think end of April is an achievable goal, but I doubt I will take both tests at once, and I know that is the recommended way to do it. I don't always listen to reason though. icon_lol.gif
    PlanetBrian
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Welcome Brian,

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place. Please feel free to post any questions you have here regarding A+ material should you need assistance with an explanation.

As far as not taking the tests the same day.....do as you are most comfortable. I took mine together and highly recommend anyone taking the exam take them the same day (back to back). ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Thanks for the info Plantwiz. I may move my test date then to the end of May so I will have enough time to study for both. Thanks for the info. I think the A+ will be the easier of the 2 certs I try to get this year. If I get A+ done, CCNA is next. Lots of studying going on this year.
    PlanetBrian
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the forums!

I took my A+, both on the same day and did OK. Just be sure to allow yourself enough study time to get the knowledge.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    Thanks for the info Plantwiz. I may move my test date then to the end of May so I will have enough time to study for both. Thanks for the info. I think the A+ will be the easier of the 2 certs I try to get this year. If I get A+ done, CCNA is next. Lots of studying going on this year.

You are welcome!

And one more comment if I may (others may have experienced this too). When preparing for an exam, I'd spend a lot of time preparing with the objectives, working with my lab, reviewing everything I could. When I finally sat for the exam and receive my score I was very excited. I'd return to work and home and not want to touch a book for a while.

Even though I worked with this stuff all the time, it was beginning to consume my life. I work with it all day. Help friends and family weekend and evenings and study.....Taking the two tests for the A+ the same day in hind-sight made the most sense otherwise, the personal pressure isn't off until AFTER the second test.

I look at it like this. A+ is two tests no matter how it is sliced -two are required to become certified. Study for a period of time - 1 test day. If one or both tests are failed (not likely if you pick a good day), then you can have a second test day.

Pass them both the first time.... Lots of confidence and your ready for more :)

IF you do fail and need to take a make up, then worry about a second day. Why sit for two separate days?

ANYWAY, everyone needs to test how they are most comfortable. I didn't like the though of feeling almost certified and took them both 1st thing in the morning.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone.

Plantwiz, I do agree 100% that taking them both on the same day is a great idea. I just hope 2 months is enough time to study. I work with databases, Cisco routers/switches, PC hardware and printers almost all the time, it's a major percentage of what I do so I am fairly comfortable with most of the things I have learned so far. $290 is a lot to drop for a certification especially when it's out of your own pocket, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Has anyone here ever used a Transcender exam to help prepare for the A+? Just curious. The Transcender for 70-210 helped me pass the MCP. Missed the 70-215 test by 10 points and I haven't worked up enough confidence to take it again. Probably gonna focus on the A+, then CCNA, then Windows 2003 track instead.
    PlanetBrian
    I had to pay for that one myself too! It was a little unnerving at first, but it has paid for itself years later.

I've never used Transcenders stuff. I have heard good things. No personal experience, though.

There are a number of people who like the technotes HERE as well as Meyer's AIO book.

If you are working with many of the components and can understand the objectives, answer the practice questions HERE and I do recommend the Meyer's book - I think you'll find yourself more than prepared.
    Plantwiz
    _____

Cool, thanks for the info. I will keep you posted on progress.
    PlanetBrian
  • my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    hi there...i am new here too...i am taking my A+ too...
    Hey my_id,
    How's your studying going? When are you scheduled to take your tests? How long have you been working in the IT field? Bet you didn't know this would be an interview did you? :D
    PlanetBrian
  • bluemasonbluemason Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exams a week apart; gave me time to concentrate on 1 exam for a few days and then a few more days for the next...

My view was that if you took one and happen to fail it , how mentally prepared are you to take the 2nd a short time later?

Whatever makes you feel more comfortable... Good Luck =)
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    welcome and good luck on the exam...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA