Associate of ISC2?

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Has anyone come across someone with this designation? Either for SSCP or CISSP? Would you consider them as valuable as a SSCP or CISSP?

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They've proven that they can pass the test (which is an accomplishment) but don't have the work experience.

If I needed someone with a CISSP skillset, then I'd hire a CISSP.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The Associate of the (ISC)2 designation allows people be recognized for passing the CISSP or SSCP exam before they have acquired full certification (that is, work experience, endorsement, and vetting). For people who know what the Associate designation is, it is not as valued as the full CISSP and SSCP certifications. You do not use the "CISSP" or "SSCP" name until you have acquired the full certification.

Associate of the (ISC)2 Brochure (PDF)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oh I'm aware of it, its just annoying as hell, How can you be recognized when you cant use the designation?

I've seen this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/13210-associates-designation.html but it still doesn't feel right. Personally, i dont know if I would sit for the exam until I knew that I met the experience requirements.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Personally, i dont know if I would sit for the exam until I knew that I met the experience requirements.
    And that is your choice. The CISSP is such a monster to study for that some people may feel they will have more time to devote to it sooner than later. Others may have graduated with a degree in InfoSec and feel they can pass the exam now. Some people may want to take the exam before a new revision is released. And others may have discovered that the Associate designation is perfectly acceptable to their employer (such is the case with the US DoD). It all depends on your situation.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oh yeah, I forgot Assoc. SSCP/CISSP was accepted. I can't wait!

BTW, I saw a thread that stated that studying several CISSP guides was the best way to study for the SSCP, but it was a dated thread. Is the Official ISC2 guide not sufficient?
    The SSCP OIG is good; the CISSP material is extra study material to help you learn the SSCP topics. Be aware that the SSCP is more technical than the CISSP, so the CISSP study material will not be to the technical depth you need. Also, the CISSP's physical and application domains are not in the SSCP, but other technical topics (Malware) are.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The SSCP OIG is good; the CISSP material is extra study material to help you learn the SSCP topics. Be aware that the SSCP is more technical than the CISSP, so the CISSP study material will not be to the technical depth you need. Also, the CISSP's physical and application domains are not in the SSCP, but other technical topics (Malware) are.

That is my plan for after I finish my Bachelor degree. What I am doing right now I believe will cover the domains required.