Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I did a thread search in TE for all WGU related content, and much to my surprise I found numerous threads with WGU at least mentioned in them. For that reason I have decided to start this thread to bring them together and also provide a dedicated thread to future WGU questions, and comments.

I hope this of use to those curious about Western Governors University, and interested in sharing your experiences at the WGU.

Many are willing to help you out with the Refer-a-Friend (used to avoid paying the application fee,) and you can ask for help with this on the following thread: Refer-A-Fried Thread

About Western Governors University:
Western Governors University is an online university driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs. WGU has flourished into a national university, serving over 17,000 students from all 50 states.
The university continues to open doors for adult learners who need flexibility to achieve their education and career goals. WGU’s innovative competency-based academic approach makes it possible, allowing individuals to fit their education into their lives, not the other way around.
History of Western Governors University:
WGU was founded by the governors of 19 U.S. states. At no other time in the history of higher education have the governors of several states joined together to create a university. WGU is also supported by over 20 major corporations and foundations who believe in WGU’s commitment to producing highly competent graduates.
Western Governors University - Indiana

Press Release
WGU Indiana is an online, competency-based university established by the state of Indiana through a partnership with Western Governors University to expand access to higher education for Indiana residents.
Information Technology Degrees at WGU:
WGU College of Information Technology

WGU Student Hall:
WGU Student Hall - Index

TechExams.net Threads (click for all tagged WGU threads at TE)

Questions about WGU:

Western Governors University

Admission Requirements for IT degrees at WGU

Transferable IT Certifications

WGU Certification Transfer Questions

WGU Entrance Exam

Photo of the diploma with frame

Scanned image of the diploma

Hardware and Software Needs

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/72845-new-wgu-tips-tools.html

Questions about WGU's M.S. Information Security and Assurance

Western Governors University - MS Information Security and Assurance

WGU's MS:ISA has been certified by the CNSS

WGU INFOSEC Bloginars

Security Certifications related to the MS in INFOSEC

TE member Foxer answers questions about the MS program at WGU

Students from TechExams.net

WGU Student Roll Call

Talk about your experiences at WGU

Student Experiences at WGU

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good idea, I made it a Sticky. icon_thumright.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Good idea, I made it a Sticky. icon_thumright.gif

Thanks Johan!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It would be nice if all TE members currently attending, or graduated from, WGU were to make themselves known here.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm just over one month into the M.S. Info. Security and Assurance program.

If anybody has any questions about the MSIA program and my experiences thus far I'd be happy to help. Current WGU students can add me to the WGU Messenger using nickname "mjsteinhilber" if you want to chat.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in my second term of the BS IT Network Design and Management degree.

If anyone has questions about that degree I'll do my best to answer.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the BS IT Network Administration program and im on my last term
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't know if i've asked this before, but I am trying to decide between WGU's BS:IT NA of IT Security. I am gearing my career towards IT security, but I feel that knowing how to administer a network is valuable in learning how to defend one, and I can always go for the MSIA later, which I intend to do.

Also I would love to hear about possible alternative/competitors as online schools.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I would do the Network Design over the Network Admin.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I don't know if i've asked this before, but I am trying to decide between WGU's BS:IT NA of IT Security. I am gearing my career towards IT security, but I feel that knowing how to administer a network is valuable in learning how to defend one, and I can always go for the MSIA later, which I intend to do.

Also I would love to hear about possible alternative/competitors as online schools.

Please keep the alternative colleges discussion to the: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/50644-can-i-get-some-recommendations-accredited-online-colleges.html thread. This one is meant for WGU conversations.

I would say the choice comes down to whether you want to specialize in Cisco or Windows. Their security emphasis is Cisco, so if you want to specialize in Windows I would suggest the Network Design and Management.

On a completely different topic connected to WGU, I should mention that I was surprised to have my mentor inform me that all my books for my current courses were being shipped to me! Imagine my surprise since I thought I would have to purchase them :D
    I should also mention that I started a thread for TechExams.net members to connect on WGU's IT Program Community Forum.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thats crazy, let us know if that is something new or if you just got lucky. I'll take a look at the other thread.

Idk about NDM, I have no interest in designing networks, sort of when I look at MCSA vs MCSE, the Admin path interests me more than the Engineer path.

thoughts?
    Thats crazy, let us know if that is something new or if you just got lucky. I'll take a look at the other thread.

Will do.
    Idk about NDM, I have no interest in designing networks, sort of when I look at MCSA vs MCSE, the Admin path interests me more than the Engineer path.

thoughts?
    Lots more money down the engineering path.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I should mention that I was surprised to have my mentor inform me that all my books for my current courses were being shipped to me! Imagine my surprise since I thought I would have to purchase them :D
    Maybe they noticed the web traffic (and students) heading over to WGU from some of the threads you've started/participated in about WGU here on TechExams and want to keep you happy. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    On a completely different topic connected to WGU, I should mention that I was surprised to have my mentor inform me that all my books for my current courses were being shipped to me! Imagine my surprise since I thought I would have to purchase them :D
    Nice, and surprising indeed after having read the following yesterday:
    WGU site wrote:
    Textbook Purchases
    In most assessments, you will be provided a course of study that outlines the resources you can use to develop the necessary competencies—some courses require textbooks. Textbooks are not included as part of tuition, so you will be responsible for purchasing the books you require.
    WGU operates an online bookstore through EdMap that contains all of the required texts. Books are competitively priced and, in some cases, can be purchased in an "eText" version at a considerable saving.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□

Which courses are you currently taking? They normally send books for the certification courses, but not for the other general education courses (science, writing, math). For the ones they don't send you there are "free" online version available or you can buy the books yourself.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

How do you get off that easy? I dropped ~$350 for books this term. The only one I didn't have to pay for was ONV2 (the Network+ exam) but I never cracked that book open.

Shame you!
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm finishing my last term and have only purchased 1 book since I began.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Maybe they noticed the web traffic (and students) heading over to WGU from some of the threads you've started/participated in about WGU here on TechExams and want to keep you happy. :D

and here I just figured it was because I am special! icon_cool.gif
    Which courses are you currently taking? They normally send books for the certification courses, but not for the other general education courses (science, writing, math). For the ones they don't send you there are "free" online version available or you can buy the books yourself.

Writing courses, A+, and CIW Essentials.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I start April 1st in the Network Design and Management Degree :)
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Nice, and surprising indeed after having read the following yesterday:

I think the stated textbook policy is a bit of CYA. They really can't afford to send books for everything and keep tuition down, but in some cases electronic materials just won't cut it. I'm just glad tuition covers the majority of materials.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the BS IT - Network Design & Management program, and I'll be finished well before the end of the year.

I've had books provided for all CIW and CompTIA based courses, and it seems like the other books you need are available through your student subscription to Books 24x7.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Books 24x7 is good for all the books you need to purchase. I'm in Network Design and Management and have two terms left. The MCTS books however leave a lot to be desired. There are a lot of corrections to the texts (24x7 doesn' fix them) and having the hard copy $$$ let's you fix the errors.
    Several of us have been posting links to corrections in the client/server community.
    Nice to see so many WGU students here.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    I start April 1st in the Network Design and Management Degree :)
    NO!! icon_eek.gif YOU TOO??

I must have missed your announcement of this life-changing event on Twitter! icon_lol.gif
  • thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in my 1st term of WGU in Network Admin. I've completed the CIW Essentials course and the Language Arts essay course. I'm currenty working on the Integrated Natural Science course and Langauge Arts Research Paper course. So far things are going pretty smooth and the mentor I have is great.
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I just got off of the phone with an enrollment counselor, who seemed pretty cool btw and I'm about to dive into the application process. Do they still have the referral program. If so, would anyone mind referring me? :D
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    WoW! I am blown away by the amount of hits, and replies produced by my opening thread. I wasn't sure there would even be enough interest to make it worth it.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    WoW! I am blown away by the amount of hits, and replies produced by my opening thread. I wasn't sure there would even be enough interest to make it worth it.

In a tough economy, schooling discussions in general will likely draw more interest than usual.

Given the nature of the programs and their accessibility to this board's users, WGU discussions should be even more popular.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My biggest concern with a WGU degree would be that it wouldn't transfer for a Master's program. Has anyone here transferred their degree? I just don't understand how they could transfer since it is competency based. Has anyone here graduated with a Bachelor's or only gone a semester then decided to go elsewhere? My other concern would be how future employers may look at an online college. Do any IT managers or anyone in general want to expand upon this? Thanks in advance.
    xmalachi wrote: »
    My biggest concern with a WGU degree would be that it wouldn't transfer for a Master's program. Has anyone here transferred their degree? I just don't understand how they could transfer since it is competency based. Has anyone here graduated with a Bachelor's or only gone a semester then decided to go elsewhere? My other concern would be how future employers may look at an online college. Do any IT managers or anyone in general want to expand upon this? Thanks in advance.

According to some of the folks I have talked to at WGU Student Hall there have been several students who have gotten their BS/BA and gone somewhere else for Master degree. I am at this moment considering East Carolina for my Master Degree in INFOSEC. Don't forget that WGU has multiple accreditations. If you are really concerned I would contact the institution you are intersted in getting your Master degree at and ask them.