Technotes

entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
Are there going to be technotes on boot processes, DOS commands, etc.?

It seems like for the core test there are a lot of detailed technotes, and there's not so much for the OS.
CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005

Comments

• entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Oh. icon_sad.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks for linking to that post Andy.

I mentioned in that post:
    Webmaster wrote:
    Unless someone else offers to write them I don't expect to have more A+ OS notes soon.
    that was over two months ago, in the meanwhile I added "A+ TechNotes" to my ToDo list, so I think (although it's hard to plan accurately) I will have some new TechNotes for the A+ within a couple of weeks. Probably covering topics I covered for the 70-270 notes already.

Most of the time writing these TechNotes goes into fact-checking. Even though I think I know something, I always check everything using several different sources (non-certification study material). Another thing with writing for A+ OS is that it is so hard to tell which versions I need to cover. Boot process is a good example, so, feel free to post any information you (or anyone else reading this) can find about it in this post or a new thread. icon_wink.gif
    That is good to hear... After I found this site it was pretty much the only resource (except practice exams and a couple studyguides from MCMCSE) I used for the Core exam. Technotes similiar to those would be great.

The boot processes for Windows 9x/ME/NT and Windows 2000/XP, as well as OS basics and command lines (Maybe? I'm not sure how much command lines are involved in the test) are good pieces of information to include in the technotes. Also, the registry.

That's all I can think of right now, I just started studying the OS, so I don't know what much of the test covers.
    Windows 9x:

http://www.techtutorials.com/tutorials/win9x/9xstructure.shtml

1. POST - Hardware tests
    2. Plug and Play Configuration -Windows 9x is a Plug and Play(PnP) operating system. In order for PnP to work, the BIOS, hardware and operating system must all be PnP compliant.
    3. Master Boot Record - The MBR is located.
    4. IO.SYS - This file loads drivers and executes CONFIG.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM
    5. COMMAND.COM - Loads AUTOEXEC.BAT
    6. Windows core files are loaded
    * WIN.COM - This file begins the loading of Windows 9x system files.
    * KERNEL32.DLL/KERNEL386.EXE - These files contain the core operating system and is responsible for loading device drivers.
    * GDI.EXE/GDI32.EXE - These files are responsible for loading the basic GUI or graphical user interface.
    * WIN.INI - Along with WINFILE.INI and SYSTEM.INI, these files provide backward compatibility with older 16-bit applications and are not required in order for 32-bit applications to run under Windows 9x. Most of the functions of these files are now stored in the registry files.
    7. The startup folder is checked for applications to load on startup.
    Just wondering if there has been any progress.
    I made one for file systems, but cut and paste from word doesn't work well.
    entzilla wrote:
    I made one for file systems, but cut and paste from word doesn't work well.
    Hi Entzilla,

Assuming you mean 'TechNotes' with 'I made one', don't get me wrong but we do have 'official' ways to release new TechNotes. You can post any notes you want though, but it won't be TechNotes unless it goes thru our usual editing and reviewing process. The latter takes much more time and work than writing itself hence it is often (not always of course) easier for us to start from scratch instead of using someone else's notes.

As I mentioned earlier, we are working on new A+ OS TechNotes (as well as more practice questions). File systems is one of them (as I wrote about those for 70-210 and 270 exams already). We don't announce any 'progress', it's ready when it is online ;)

Anyway, if you want to write for us, please PM me instead. Also feel free to start a new topic called "Entzilla's Notes" instead. If we end up using some of your text you will get credit for it.

Johan
    I understand that you would edit and review everything. I was originally making study sheets for myself. Since you said in an earlier post that you could use whatever information people posted for fact checking, I figured I might as well see if it helps the production of the technotes at all.

Also, pardon me if I'm eager for the technotes to come out. I don't mean to be rude, but in my opinion the technotes on this site have been the best study resource I have found. :D
    entzilla wrote:
    I understand that you would edit and review everything. I was originally making study sheets for myself. Since you said in an earlier post that you could use whatever information people posted for fact checking, I figured I might as well see if it helps the production of the technotes at all.
    And it is appreciated. Though we do the fact-checking at 'the source', not using someone else's notes and not certification study material (totally regardless of the writer). Basically, if you want to save us time, we need something that apart from some minor edits is ready to put online. That's why I prefer to hire experienced writers. The latter certainly does not mean we don't want or appreciate contributions from members whether they have writing experience or not, and regardless whether they have passed the exam yet. We 'just' need to set up some better guidelines to help you help us help you :)
    entzilla wrote:
    Also, pardon me if I'm eager for the technotes to come out. I don't mean to be rude, but in my opinion the technotes on this site have been the best study resource I have found. :D
    No need to pardon, you being eager is a compliment. :D We are not in a hurry however, our motto is quality over quantity, meaning that I rather spend a week writing 'complete' and thorough TechNotes for 3 exam objectives than writing a cram with a bunch of charts and facts that 'supposedly' cover all exam objectives. It is about time that we give the A+ exams a bit more attention (which they are getting already because of our moderator Plantwiz).

btw. I replied to your PM in the meanwhile.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Technotes rock! drunken_smilie.gificon_study.gificon_thumright.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....