Questions about the minimum requirements for Windows

entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
The minimum installation requirements for the different versions of Windows seem to be different from the Mike Meyers All In One book and the study guides on the MCMCSE website. I believe the information from the All In One book is taken directly from the Microsoft website, but is it the same information the questions on the exam are directed towards?

For example:

The All In One book says the minimum hard disk space for a Windows 9x OS is 455 MB and 32 MB of RAM, and the study guides on MCMCSE states that you need 225 MB for FAT16 and 175 MB for FAT32, and only 16 MB of RAM.

Which would be correct on the exam?
CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    In my AIO(4th edition), it says, disk space up to 400mb, at least 200mb, 486dx/sx CPU with 24Mb Ram.

Either way, I would go by what M$ says, which you can find here.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ricka182 wrote:
    In my AIO(4th edition), it says, disk space up to 400mb, at least 200mb, 486dx/sx CPU with 24Mb Ram.

Either way, I would go by what M$ says, which you can find here.

Well, I've always known Win9x to be minimum of 16MB (which is what we ran in some boxes and those who could go to 32MB we upgraded.) Now, 16MB isn't a lot of fun, but when we were upgrading the network, we were not ready (and could not afford) to upgrade 100 PC's hardware. So, made the best of what we had until we could get through everything and get budgets approved.

General rule like Ricka182 mentioned...Follow what MS states (or any industry standard i.e. SCSI) over what a book states.

You do have a good question and one that can add to pre-test jitters, but facts are facts and if you get 'facts' from the main source, it is tough to argure they are incorrect. The books tend to be a compilation of a number of sources, could be a typo, could be a misinterpretation, could be just the way it was worded.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Thank you Plantwiz and Ricka182.

Also, Ricka, do you mind telling me where you found that information? I have been searching the MS site, but haven't been able to find the minimum requirements for the other versions. icon_sad.gif
    entzilla wrote:
    Thank you Plantwiz and Ricka182.

Also, Ricka, do you mind telling me where you found that information? I have been searching the MS site, but haven't been able to find the minimum requirements for the other versions. icon_sad.gif

Practice getting around the MS site. Unfortunately short of getting used to the terminology and spending time there, I haven't found a simple way to get through everything.

I typed in "minimum requirements" on the main page and found this link:
    for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

There is a wealth of knowledge there. I'll be happy to help you look, but I'll do so after you spend a little time looking around there. Try different phrases, OS technologies, etc.. :)

not being a jerk, but want you to see how the tool works so it becomes more useful to you in the future - again, if you get stuck -- let me know
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

It took a while, but I found something good.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304297

:)
    entzilla wrote:

That is a great link!

GOOD WORK :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    entzilla wrote:

There you go....nice link too.... icon_cool.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Apparantly there are several different publications for this on the MS website, so I'm just going to go by what's in the AIO book. I hope that it has the correct answers that the test is looking for.
    Personally, I would not take the book as final say.

Always search for errata
    Errata

Even if what you are looking at is not listed, it is possible that it is coming out or maybe not. If it matters this much for you, I would even considering contacting McGraw-Hill/Meyers and questioning the source of the information if you find it different than the MS site.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK - According to the little book that comes with Win98 (std and SE)

Win98
    486DX, 66MHZ or higher
    24MB RAM
    VGA or higher resolution monitor

Disk space is always a doozy

3.1 upgrade ..... 140-315 MB (typically 205 MB)

New Install FAT16 ..... 210-400 MB (typically 260 MB)

New Install FAT32 ..... 190-305 MB (typically 210 MB)

Now I would expect FAT32 to be the recommended version - go with the one that is closest to that.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Personally, I would not take the book as final say.

Always search for errata
    Errata

Even if what you are looking at is not listed, it is possible that it is coming out or maybe not. If it matters this much for you, I would even considering contacting McGraw-Hill/Meyers and questioning the source of the information if you find it different than the MS site.

I don't think it matters that much, it depends on how much the test covers it.
    Windows 95 386DX 4 MB RAM 50 MB (FAT 16) VGA
    Windows 98 486DX 16 MB RAM 225 MB (FAT16)175 MB (FAT 32) VGA
    Windows NT Pentium 16 MB RAM 110 MB VGA
    Windows Me Pentium 32 MB RAM 320 MB VGA
    Windows 2000 Pentium II 64 MB RAM 650 MB VGA
    Windows XP Pentium III 64 MB RAM 650 MB VGA

Does this seem pretty accurate to anybody?
  • theICEtheICE Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would go by the book for the test, u got to reamber there is the right answer ,wrong answer and then u got the comptia answer and since it is a comptia test it don't matter what ms says unless that is what comptia considers correct.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I rather don't include the system requirements of Windows products for the simple reason that they (ram and disk space) sometimes change over time. That is also the main reason why you'll find conflicting information. This has been a problem with MCSE study material since NT 4 (and perhaps even before). For MS exams you need to use system requirements listed in the online product info/docs. For CompTIA exam I would go for the info that comes with the original CD. MS questions have become complex and long over the past 5-6 years (pretty much started with win2000) and don't simply ask for the system requirements. You certainly won't have to choose between the original and the current system requirements, and I doubt this is different for the A+ OS exam. I.o.w. if they ask for the system requirements for Win 98 they won't list:

a. Windows 98 486DX 8 MB RAM
    b. Windows 98 486DX 16 MB RAM
    as possible correct answers, but more likely something like

b. Windows 98 Pentium 16 MB RAM
    Webmaster wrote:
    I rather don't include the system requirements of Windows products for the simple reason that they (ram and disk space) sometimes change over time. That is also the main reason why you'll find conflicting information. This has been a problem with MCSE study material since NT 4 (and perhaps even before). For MS exams you need to use system requirements listed in the online product info/docs. For CompTIA exam I would go for the info that comes with the original CD. MS questions have become complex and long over the past 5-6 years (pretty much started with win2000) and don't simply ask for the system requirements. You certainly won't have to choose between the original and the current system requirements, and I doubt this is different for the A+ OS exam. I.o.w. if they ask for the system requirements for Win 98 they won't list:

b. Windows 98 486DX 16 MB RAM
    as possible correct answers, but more likely something like

b. Windows 98 Pentium 16 MB RAM

I see... I knew I was worrying about it too much, but I'm paranoid when it comes to testing. icon_lol.gif