Options

MS PRESS RRAS exercises

bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am having difficulty with the RRAS exercises since I do not have 2 separate phone lines. I am using 2 sessions VMWare player each with Win2k3 installed. I am sure that there are others who did not have the luxury of having two separate phone lines. How did you do these exercises?

Comments

• Options
    Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had this problem aswell. I would just set-up a VPN, rather than trying to use dialin within your VMware. Works a treat, bar a few things what you can do with a VPN you can with Dial-in, mainly the security network settings etc are the same.

Hoping there wont be too many questions on this now as dial-in is getting on icon_sad.gif
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't worry too much about RRAS exercises for dialing in. I skipped those exercises. You should be comfortable with what you use RRAS for, securing it, allowing / denying access.
    You will probably see more questions on DNS, DHCP, DNS, IPSec, DNS, WSUS, and more DNS icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    You could also play with virtual modem software which is what I did.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    bencmcb wrote: »
    You could also play with virtual modem software which is what I did.

Which virtual modem package did you use?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    petedude wrote: »
    Which virtual modem package did you use?

I actually ended up using FabulaTech's Virtual Serial Port for this.

Useful note: If you're using anything other than an actual modem with a driver (e.g. Virtual Serial Port), install it BEFORE you enable RRAS. If you don't do that, it's likely RRAS won't see it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I searched virtual modem in google. I think this is what i stuck with: Virtual Modem - Use a Regular Communications Program to Connect through the Internet