Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link and great suggestion on contacting the institute. I'm just trying to really figure out what is going to be best. I really love the idea of a degree + certs so I think I am going to end up going with the WGU route. I just want to clarify on some things before I dive in.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Thanks for the link and great suggestion on contacting the institute. I'm just trying to really figure out what is going to be best. I really love the idea of a degree + certs so I think I am going to end up going with the WGU route. I just want to clarify on some things before I dive in.

Tell us what you find out!
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm leaning towards WGU as well, but I need them to give me straight answer about what old credits I can transfer in? I'd like to do the Network Admin, but I really don't want to do any more general studies courses than absolutely necessary.

I did the first two years of an Economics program almost 20 years ago, so I already have college credit for psych, lit, french, yadda yadda. I later did two years of a Computers Systems diploma, and now I'm one cert away from the MCITP:SA, so I'm delaying for sure until I'm done that..

May also self-study for Security+ before applying (two reasons: one, to get it done before end of year and have a lifetime cert; two, so that I won't have to use my WGU time to earn it)

Anyways, I can't seem to get a firm reply saying "Yes, you took this this and this, you won't have to take them again" and whether I can transfer my credits to more than 25% of the WGU courses
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
    Piers wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards WGU as well, but I need them to give me straight answer about what old credits I can transfer in? I'd like to do the Network Admin, but I really don't want to do any more general studies courses than absolutely necessary.

I did the first two years of an Economics program almost 20 years ago, so I already have college credit for psych, lit, french, yadda yadda. I later did two years of a Computers Systems diploma, and now I'm one cert away from the MCITP:SA, so I'm delaying for sure until I'm done that..

May also self-study for Security+ before applying (two reasons: one, to get it done before end of year and have a lifetime cert; two, so that I won't have to use my WGU time to earn it)

Anyways, I can't seem to get a firm reply saying "Yes, you took this this and this, you won't have to take them again" and whether I can transfer my credits to more than 25% of the WGU courses

I imagine they are protecting themselves by not giving a firm yes or no without it being evaluated. You simply need to send in your paperwork.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

The best way to find out is probably to apply. I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to refer you to the program so that you don't have to pay the application fee but you could find out what transfers this way.
    I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to refer you to the program so that you don't have to pay the application fee but you could find out what transfers this way.

I am certainly more than willing to refer you... icon_wink.gif
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I'm thinking about enrolling in WGU. I currently have an A.A.S. in Network Administration and Engineering from a local community college here in my home state. I also have MCSA, Net+, and A+ certifications. Hopefully, I'll have Security+ on March 26th. icon_lol.gif

I like that WGU is online and can work with my work schedule. Currently, I'm an IT admin at a local bank. My question is has anybody tried transferring credits to WGU? Also, do they take certifications for credit?

Thanks,
    Sub
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
    The best way to find out is probably to apply. I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to refer you to the program so that you don't have to pay the application fee but you could find out what transfers this way.

I'd prefer to get the answers, before I pay my old uni's to send out transcript for assessment.. if I can confirm that yes, everything previously done will count (eliminating perhaps 60-70% of the program), then I'm on board :)
    I'd prefer to get the answers, before I pay my old uni's to send out transcript for assessment.. if I can confirm that yes, everything previously done will count (eliminating perhaps 60-70% of the program), then I'm on board :)

I have applied to numerous colleges/universities in the past, and I have yet to have one give me an answer over the phone. They want to see your transcripts.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□

Most schools that I have applied to will accept a unofficial copy and course description in order to see what will transfer over.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□

See this is the problem that I have as well, only that I have zero college credits. I'm wondering if I can take CLEP exams for certain classes and transfer them in. Or is that even necessary? Don't they have their own version of "testing out" of classes?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    I like that WGU is online and can work with my work schedule. Currently, I'm an IT admin at a local bank. My question is has anybody tried transferring credits to WGU? Also, do they take certifications for credit?

Yes, you can provide transcripts from CompTIA, Microsoft, etc. to get credit for some courses. I'm not sure if older versions of the CompTIA exams will carry over or not.

Also, it looks like most of the programs that include Microsoft based exams are now on the 2008 server exams instead of the MCSA/MCSE track. When I started, that wasn't the case, and I got credit for all of my MCSE exams.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Old CompTIA exams do not apply. I have to take A+ and N+ again. Also you have to take the full exam not a bridge exam. Seems to be same with Microsoft have to take exams as if you are not certified instead of upgrading.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I'm wrapping up my 3rd term at WGU for BS in IT. I should be finished with the program by this time next year.

If anyone wants a referral to waive the application fee, you may PM me as well.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Yes, you can provide transcripts from CompTIA, Microsoft, etc. to get credit for some courses. I'm not sure if older versions of the CompTIA exams will carry over or not.

Also, it looks like most of the programs that include Microsoft based exams are now on the 2008 server exams instead of the MCSA/MCSE track. When I started, that wasn't the case, and I got credit for all of my MCSE exams.
    While most are on the 2008 server exam, I thought that a lot of courses in the Network Design and Management route could be skipped with the MCSA/MCSE (as stated on the 10/09 transfer list). If it has been updated, can I get the list..lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    Got a copy of the Transfer Evaluation Guidelines.. All certs, degrees or courses for the Core IT stuff must have been completed within the past 5 years.

It also says theat "WGU does not perform unofficial evaluations or accept unofficial transcripts". It also states that the Official transcript evaluations will occur in the month prior to your start, which tells me you need to be committed to the program before you can find out which courses you don't have to take.. That's just not going to work for me.. I'm too old to start first year college again..
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It also says theat "WGU does not perform unofficial evaluations or accept unofficial transcripts". It also states that the Official transcript evaluations will occur in the month prior to your start, which tells me you need to be committed to the program before you can find out which courses you don't have to take.. That's just not going to work for me.. I'm too old to start first year college again..

I'd recommend this route, if you don't need financial aid:
    1. Rush your transcripts to them. Get tracking info if possible.
    2. Get a referral so you don't have to pay the application fee, and apply.
    You might also have to:
    3. Take the admission assessment exam.
    4. Make the two-payment arrangement with the bursar (but don't pay until you start!)
    5. Sit the intake interview.
    They're supposed to have a transfer evaluation to you within five days of receiving your transcripts, according to the student handbook. If they don't have that to you within five days and your program hasn't started yet, I'd be surprised if you couldn't withdraw your application.

The transfer evaluation is probably one of the few areas I have a complaint with WGU on. Even the big 4 "assessment colleges" (Excelsior, TESC, Charter Oak and Athabasca) will tell you how your transfers look after you submit the application and pay the application fee. With those schools, you can see the transfer eval first and then decide if you want to commit.

On the bright side, I have heard of WGU taking very old General Ed from community colleges and even places like ITT.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Did you guys send your MS transcript info to certificateinfo@wgu.edu?

Seemed odd to randomly send an email to a generic address and hope it ends up in the right hands.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Seemed odd to randomly send an email to a generic address and hope it ends up in the right hands.

I sent mine directly to my enrollment counselor.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

That's interesting. I sent my Cisco transcript to my enrollment counselor's E-mail address-- they got it OK.
    --Will Rogers
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bwcarty wrote: »

They accept the older versions if you passed the exam within the last 5 years
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am very interested on hearing about possible transfer credit from CLEP/DANTES and Credit for military experience. If anyone could ask their counselor, please do, and let us know.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I am very interested on hearing about possible transfer credit from CLEP/DANTES and Credit for military experience. If anyone could ask their counselor, please do, and let us know.

My understanding is that CLEP/DANTES exams are accepted if they are part of complete knowledge "domains"-- e.g. courses grouped together by subject area. As an imaginary example-- if you had three math courses to complete for a domain, and two were completed as college classes and one as CLEP it's likely they would consider that competency completed.

I've also heard of students taking CLEP/DANTES as part of their assigned coursework. but don't quote me on that one.
    --Will Rogers
  • JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Glad to have found this forum! I'm wrapping up my first term at WGU in the Network Design and Management emphasis. I have no professional background in IT and I currently hold no certs but the school fits my needs very well.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
    Welcome to TE!
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Network Design & Management is the one that I am working on as well. My whole 2003 MCSE+S transferred in, Net+, and OCP all waived classes. I had only a few IT related classes to do (SCJA, CIW Associate and Project+). After my term ends at the end of July, I'll have one term with one class remaining: The Capstone Project. The whole program just went through an overhaul within the past 2 weeks.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • ruralgeekgirlruralgeekgirl Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Howdy all. Just checking in. I'm currently in the MSCE track of Network Design and Management, but may change to the new track coming up soon. I'm in my second term and currently studying for the 70-270 test in 10 days (egads), so wish me luck!
  • im_nightrider2003im_nightrider2003 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□

I am in a similar situation. I am graduating with AS in Business Admin. I wanted to know if you were successful in transfering your credits to WGU? I am leaning towards them but not unless I know how much is being transfered.
    IN a local college I will be able to transfer all the sixty credits. The bad part is they dont have online classes. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for reading and I hope you will answer.

--S
    Howdy all. Just checking in. I'm currently in the MSCE track of Network Design and Management, but may change to the new track coming up soon. I'm in my second term and currently studying for the 70-270 test in 10 days (egads), so wish me luck!

Welcome to TE!