failed OS exam today...need help

justterriblejustterrible Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my core hardware but I failed my OS technologies exam. I noticed I had or alot of questions that had to do with filenames and the differences (example: regedit32 and regedit) as well as upgrade questions, mostly about moving from NT to 2000/XP or 95 to 2000/XP and troubleshooting. Anybody got help for the OS-illiterate? Am I the only one that feels the OS test is harder?
I thought I was done studying after they gave me my diploma, but now I wish I did study in the first place...

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Well, let me say, Welcome to the forums! And, then, sorry about the failed OS exam.

For almost all of those who have taken the A+ exams, they will agree that the OS seems to be the harder exam. It was for me.

I used A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers as a study source. As I went through the sections about each OS, I did a lot of practicing with them including installing and using command prompt. The more you use these OSs the more you'll understand them. This study guide is in its 5th edition now. That's the one you want.

Also, take a look at TechExams notes at http://www.techexams.net/technotes.php, there are probably things in the Microsoft 70-210 study notes that will help you here.

Some of these things you just have to memorize to know the differences.

Also go to comptia.com and take a look at the A+ OS exam objectives and make sure that you have covered all of the possible areas of testing, if you haven't already.

Best of luck on the next try!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Hii and welcome. Most of those with several certifications have failed atleast once. Failing is a part of life in the certification industry and it only helps you to prepare thoroughly. I also missed my CCNA yesterday but i realised where i stand and what i need to cover so that i can pass it next time. You should not be discouraged if anything brush up on the areas you missed and you'll get it next try. Good luck.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • WilByteWilByte Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The OS is harder in my opinion. I used Michael Meyers All-in-One and read it twice---> the first time straight through, the second time I stopped and focused on each section until it was clear in my head. Wishing you luck..........for next time.
    "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
  • entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    CatByte wrote:
    The OS is harder in my opinion. I used Michael Meyers All-in-One and read it twice---> the first time straight through, the second time I stopped and focused on each section until it was clear in my head. Wishing you luck..........for next time.

I am reluctant to do this, but it's probably what I'll end up doing. icon_sad.gif

In my opinion, the OS exam is more difficult than the core hardware, especially if you don't have access to all of the operating systems covered on the test.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I passed my core hardware but I failed my OS technologies exam. I noticed I had or alot of questions that had to do with filenames and the differences (example: regedit32 and regedit) as well as upgrade questions, mostly about moving from NT to 2000/XP or 95 to 2000/XP and troubleshooting. Anybody got help for the OS-illiterate? Am I the only one that feels the OS test is harder?

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your test, but now you know where to focus your study time.

Janmike provided some excellent feedback.

If you have specific questions about anything in the OS start a new thread an ask away. I'll do my best as well as all the other very knowledgeable members to answer your questions to help you gain the understanding you are looking for.

Unfortunately, you may need to get your hands on some older OS's (possibly some newer too) if you don't currently have access. Actually going through the motions is what will help you gain that understanding, even if it is only a few times.

We are here if you need us.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WilByteWilByte Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, you may need to get your hands on some older OS's (possibly some newer too) if you don't currently have access. Actually going through the motions is what will help you gain that understanding, even if it is only a few times.

In addition---> I failed to mention that I was able to obtain older systems that needed work and fixed them up, as well as build a few of my own. I had a Lab set up in my bedroom with a '98, 98SE, 2000 and an XP OS systems and my Dad had a ME system for me to play around with and do some minor upgrades on. Actually, it was a lot of fun I thought, because I'm a tinker-er and it was very satisfiying to play around with (frustrating at times, though icon_confused.gif ). This helped tremendously as well as working through the book comparing everything. Start asking around for PC donations from acquaintances, relatives and friends, they might be able to help you.
    "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
  • justterriblejustterrible Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback everyone. I am definitely gonna check out that book. I am currently using enhanced A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining your PC by Jean Andrews. It was included in my education so it naturally became a good reference. It is also written by the company that I take my certifications from (Prometric). Any differences between Prometric and Pearson, such as the version of the test, or are the questions randomly generated from a test bank?
    I thought I was done studying after they gave me my diploma, but now I wish I did study in the first place...
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    There is no difference between Prometric and Pearson-Vue as far the exam contents/version. Everyone here could probably give good and/or bad tales about both. It's personal preference. For me, I go with whomever is closer, and has an available slot. I've had no trouble with either really.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • justterriblejustterrible Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any recommendations as far as payment for the test? I am looking at buying a test voucher online for 91.25 from gracetechsolutions.com. It is paypal secured and a significant savings from regular price. Can these sites be trusted or should I just go ahead and pay the $145 regular price from prometric.com?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    any recommendations as far as payment for the test? I am looking at buying a test voucher online for 91.25 from gracetechsolutions.com. It is paypal secured and a significant savings from regular price. Can these sites be trusted or should I just go ahead and pay the $145 regular price from prometric.com?
    Check out the 'Exam Vouchers' option in our menu on the left or:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1480
  • KIMBERLYTOUPSKIMBERLYTOUPS Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

I ALSO FAILED MY OS EXAM IN FEB. I HAVE YET GONE AND RETRIED IT !!! icon_cry.gif I WILL TAKE EVERYONES ADVICE AND CHECK OUT THE MIKE MYERS BOOK GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND LET ME KNOW HOW THE NEXT ONE GOES
  • kanatkanat Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about your fail. Last year in November I experienced the same, on the same day I was tested for both A+ core and OS, the result was I passed core and failed OS. I was really sad. But recently I took A+ OS again and passed, My advice is to make a lot of practice tests. I wish you good luck on your nexr try
  • bluemasonbluemason Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the OS was harder...

I used the CramSession StudyGuide (it's been years since I worked with the different OS's, only 2K Pro & XP Pro recently) to refresh my memory..

however

If I were in your shoes, I would pick up a cheap PC and start installing the OSs on the system - the best way to learn an OS is by using it; you can read all you want about it, it is the hands on that will help you... unfortunately reading a book can not substitute experience...