Tackled 70-290 today and passed!!

joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just finished taking the 70-290 this morning and passed with an 887. To me this was by far the easiest of all the Microsoft exams I have taken so far. Everything was fairly straight forward and the simulations ( I think I had about 13 or so if not more) were normal things you would and should see if you have had server administration experience.

Now on to the 70-291 and that one scares me. Any advice on what materials to use for it? I used the Microsoft Self-paced training kit and a little bit of Transcender.

Comments

• pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Just finished taking the 70-290 this morning and passed with an 887. To me this was by far the easiest of all the Microsoft exams I have taken so far. Everything was fairly straight forward and the simulations ( I think I had about 13 or so if not more) were normal things you would and should see if you have had server administration experience.

Now on to the 70-291 and that one scares me. Any advice on what materials to use for it? I used the Microsoft Self-paced training kit and a little bit of Transcender.

Congrats on the great score! I passed today also with a 775, so I didn't have much room to spare.

I echo the comments on the exam. The questions are fairly straightforward, and there were way more simulations that I expected. I think what hurt me is that I don't have as much actual face time with Server 2003 as I would have liked.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pml1 wrote: »
    Congrats on the great score! I passed today also with a 775, so I didn't have much room to spare.

I echo the comments on the exam. The questions are fairly straightforward, and there were way more simulations that I expected. I think what hurt me is that I don't have as much actual face time with Server 2003 as I would have liked.
    Congrats to you also. I think having a lot of simulations is what helped me score as well as I did. It is easier for me to do something than to tell you how to do it!
    Congrats to you also. I think having a lot of simulations is what helped me score as well as I did. It is easier for me to do something than to tell you how to do it!

Yeah, I'm usually the same way. I should have spent more time doing labs and less time reading books.

Good luck prepping for 291!
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • pmmcateerpmmcateer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you both, I'm taking it tomorrow morning and am hoping for more simulations as well.
    pmmcateer wrote: »
    Congrats to you both, I'm taking it tomorrow morning and am hoping for more simulations as well.
    Be sure you let us know how you did and what you thought of the exam.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congrats!
    Good luck on the 291.
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Be sure you let us know how you did and what you thought of the exam.

Didn't pass (641), I got about 7-8 labs (40 questions total) but I made some silly mistakes looking up some of the answers afterwards. Disaster recovery is my weak point, as well as software RAIDS and IIS, as I have never done those so I gotta brush up. Not sure yet if I'm going to cram on my weak points and take it again this weekend or wait another week and a half.
    Didn't pass (641), I got about 7-8 labs (40 questions total) but I made some silly mistakes looking up some of the answers afterwards. Disaster recovery is my weak point, as well as software RAIDS and IIS, as I have never done those so I gotta brush up. Not sure yet if I'm going to cram on my weak points and take it again this weekend or wait another week and a half.

You were really close. Hopefully, second time is a charm for you. Good luck!
    You were really close. Hopefully, second time is a charm for you. Good luck!

Second time was the charm, passed it today with a 758! Not the greatest score but I'm glad I don't have to take again (and pay again). Had a ton of sims again and a few repeats of the last exam. On to 291! (Of course after a few celebration beers):D
    Second time was the charm, passed it today with a 758! Not the greatest score but I'm glad I don't have to take again (and pay again). Had a ton of sims again and a few repeats of the last exam. On to 291! (Of course after a few celebration beers):D

Congrats on the pass! Good luck on 291. I'm trying to finish up some non-cert projects first, but hopefully, I'll be digging into that one soon also.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Use CBTs. DNS and DHCP are too boring to read about at first go.
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Congrats to all that have passed. I joined the club today with a pass. Now good luck to all of us with 291.
  • just_in_timejust_in_time Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to everyone that passed. I am taking my 70-290 today. I actually took the 291 already and passed it. I hope the 290 is just as easy or even easier.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats to all of the above who passed!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.