I love dynamips/dynagen

telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
while im unemployed and have lots of down time I will be studying for the bgp exam.

I want to say that I love dynamips. that is all.

Comments

• BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Stupid question how do you make dynamips talk to real labs?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    how do you make dynamips talk to real labs?
    Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stupid question how do you make dynamips talk to real labs?

map in to a real interface on your pc/server by using the network device list bat file that's included in the install

ex.

NIO_gen_eth:\Device\NPF_{BE2C6129-9E41-4316-A485-F74A4DFF4515}
    Name : Local Area Connection 3
    Desciption: b57w2k9 Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Driver

ROUTER R1
    fa0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\Device\NPF_{BE2C6129-9E41-4316-A485-F74A4DFF4515}
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'm a big fan too. I thought I was one of the few on this forum.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nope its all i about use nowadays.. i sold my off all of my real rack and built a dynamips lab. its nice to change size of lab at will without additional cabling, power, and all the other mess.

Rack overview on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Big fan here also. I use it for study, testing and generating configurations to copy and paste. Its the bee's knees!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is most definitely a great resource. I used it heavily in all of my Cisco certification studies and still use it all the time to stay sharp. It is very convenient to be able to play on a test network on a 3 hour flight.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    whats dynamaps? is that like some microsoft street maps thing?

LOL j/k I love GNS3! yahoo!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think we should all have a dynamips party! whoo hooooooo!

get funky!!!!

sorry guys I have alot of time on my hands.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes it's awesome. I use the GNS3 front-end.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Yes I ruv dynamips long time...... :)

Use it along with some real networking gear... like PaulBoz said it's handy having a mobile lab you can take with you anywhere!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    keenon wrote: »
    nope its all i about use nowadays.. i sold my off all of my real rack and built a dynamips lab. its nice to change size of lab at will without additional cabling, power, and all the other mess.

Rack overview on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You totally got rid of your routers :P

I spent a good 600 $ for 4 of my 2600 XM routers, and a friend gave me 2 additional 2651XM, that I am thinking of disposing to finance some 3550 switches.

But again something inside me is saying nothing beats the real thing that's probably the reason why I still have them, and the expense is so minimal it's probably a 2 - 3 days salary for some of us, I'm also stoked that this 2600XM keeps getting new IOS.

I just can't let go haha...

Plus I look hot, it's my way of trying to impress router girl haha just kidding...
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamips/GNS3 is a godsend to me.

I sure didn't relish the idea of spending a couple grand to put together a cisco lab or the increased power bill.

Sure there's something to be said by having real equipment, but hell, there's just too many benefits that are gained using dynamips instead. Plus I was able to convince my wife that I needed a badass gaming rig to virtualize all the routers ;)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Aldur wrote: »
    dynamips/GNS3 is a godsend to me.

I sure didn't relish the idea of spending a couple grand to put together a cisco lab or the increased power bill.

Sure there's something to be said by having real equipment, but hell, there's just too many benefits that are gained using dynamips instead. Plus I was able to convince my wife that I needed a badass gaming rig to virtualize all the routers ;)

Welcome to the party! A little late, but better than never icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Aldur wrote: »
    Plus I was able to convince my wife that I needed a badass gaming rig to virtualize all the routers ;)
    Sorry for the offtopic, but I really like your style :)
    Non-native English speaker
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The dynamips mafia of TE..I can see it now...
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    emulation vs. iron in the hand is the cisco cert exam community version of vi vs. emacs
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    emulation vs. iron in the hand is the cisco cert exam community version of vi vs. emacs

dynamips has its uses to be sure. I must set it up one of these days. But working with real gear will give you insights you will need on the job. Try a mixture if you dont get much hands on in the field!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Turgon wrote: »
    dynamips has its uses to be sure. I must set it up one of these days. But working with real gear will give you insights you will need on the job. Try a mixture if you dont get much hands on in the field!

I am right there with ya man. I see the value of emulation for a quick and dirty method of proof of concept if you don't have the spare equipment to mock it up, but if you do, then I'll take the real gear every single time
  • rgutowski200rgutowski200 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I am in my 2nd semester in a Cisco academy in college working toward my CCNA and working on my associate's degree in network administration, than on to my bachelors degree in Info Assurance. I have downloaded GNS3 and my question is where do I get the IOS to get the program to run? Thanks for your help and this forum is great.
    Ron :D