Need a quick bit of switch help ASAP.

paul325ipaul325i Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
With STP running on a switch and other switches near it it's obviously going to receive BPDU's on the connected interfaces, but say it has a host on one of it's interfaces, some of the docs I've read seem to think it'll still get BPDU's on this interface aswell.

Or am i mis-interpreting it as it just means that even in a port is in a blocking state it will still be able to receive BPDU's??

The example has a switch with 3 ports in use, one with a PC host, another blocked through stp and another active port which is in use to another switch. It asked which ports will it receive BPDU's on? The answer was all 3.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nothing_ptnothing_pt Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Indeed, all ports on the switch receive BPDU's.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A port generates BPDUs if it is any mode besides access. There is nothing that a switch can do to stop receiving BPDUs because it will receive what is sent by the other end. By enabling certain modes on a switch you can have the switch respond to BPDUs with a particular action.

So if a switch is connected to a PC and the port is set up in access mode then there should not be any BPDUs on that particular link. If you have a program on your host that can generate BPDUs then the switch will recieve them. If your switchport is setup as access and it recieves a BPDU on that port then it should revert to a blocking state.
  • paul325ipaul325i Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right so just a single PC on a port should be BPDU free, a practice paper seemed to think it would still get them but i was suspect, i know they're not always correct.