Lab setup for 291

Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
My employer was generous enough to allow me to install Server 2003 on 6 computers and setup a test lab.

Now my question is, with 6 Windows 2003 servers, what kind of a test environment should one configure?

Multiple domains?
RRAS?
Not sure what the focus should be in 291.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    Super99 wrote: »
    My employer was generous enough to allow me to install Server 2003 on 6 computers and setup a test lab.

Now my question is, with 6 Windows 2003 servers, what kind of a test environment should one configure?

Multiple domains?
    RRAS?

Any suggestions?

DNS, and WSUS would be a good start
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Thanks Supermiguel.
    I'll defff. setup DNS and WSUS, any other suggestions from you or others?

Should I setpu RRAS or skip that?
    I've never delt with RRAS so I dont know if its necessary.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks Supermiguel.
    I'll defff. setup DNS and WSUS, any other suggestions from you or others?

Should I setpu RRAS or skip that?
    I've never delt with RRAS so I dont know if its necessary.
    Saw a post somewhere else where someone said RRAS usualy causes trouble.
    WDS and PXE boot
    Edit: right, it was WDS it messed up.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Multiple domains?
    RRAS?

Any suggestions?

VPN.
    While 6 PCs sounds like a great lab, it may be overkill. The biggest lab exercise I've seen yet involved 5 PCs, and if you have enough memory in one you can do all this through virtualization (e.g. VMWare, Virtual PC).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Good to know. Thank you earweed.

earweed wrote: »
    Saw a post somewhere else where someone said RRAS usualy causes trouble.
    WDS and PXE boot
    Edit: right, it was WDS it messed up.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could load XP or 7 on a couple of the computers and have some clients to practice WSUS, DHCP with.
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Super99, It's might be overkill, but its fun. I set mine up as 2 DC's, one WSUS 3.0/DHCP , web server, file server, RRAS. You definitely want to play around with RRAS VPN's, WSUS 3.0 and DHCP. If you got it, use it. I'll take real versus virtual any day!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i did mostly the same as Devin, 2 Dc's, 1 WSUS,1 RRAS,1 IAS and 2 clients. All VM's. If you have all those servers use them. Test and break the only way with the 291 exam, it covers abit of everything.