rate-limit and burst size for home lab?

fonestar1978fonestar1978 Banned Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I have about 17.5 Mb down on my cable modem feeding into my 2611XM/2950/7940G. I'm just wondering how I should configure my rate-limit and burst size so my connection will function comfortably along with my phone?

I imagine Cisco has a rule of thumb for this but I haven't found it and haven't really gotten too far deep into the voice side of things yet.

Thanks!

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry, I am on day 3 here. But why would you want to limit anything? Isn't your call going to be a tiny 80k no matter what. I can understand policing if you had too much data out going. But you really just need that 80k for your phone on the download.
    -Daniel
  • fonestar1978fonestar1978 Banned Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Sorry, I am on day 3 here. But why would you want to limit anything? Isn't your call going to be a tiny 80k no matter what. I can understand policing if you had too much data out going. But you really just need that 80k for your phone on the download.

Thanks for the reply Daniel,

I was wondering about that, I didn't think the voice would take much but wasn't sure how burst and fair-que would effect SIP traffic. Anyways, I've removed all limit settings from my 2611XM as both the VoIP and data-download quality seemed to suffer.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »

Just curious... are voice packets 80k or 64k per packet? Thanks.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□

hehehe, not exactly a cut and dry answer:

Voice Over IP - Per Call Bandwidth Consumption - Cisco Systems

You need to factor in codec/bitrate, voice payload, L2 header info, compression, and so on. Chances are, you probably aren’t going to use G.711 over the WAN, so the actual bandwidth of a G.729 call is about 25k-ish.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□

Actually that is an entire section on the CCNA:Voice exam. You gota factor in all the overhead and what compression you want to use. The CBTNuggets say assume 80k normally.
    -Daniel