Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Howdy all. Just checking in. I'm currently in the MSCE track of Network Design and Management, but may change to the new track coming up soon. I'm in my second term and currently studying for the 70-270 test in 10 days (egads), so wish me luck!
    Welcome to TE.
    Isn't that the XP Pro client test? You'll need to take either the Vista or Windows 7 Client test (on your own dime) to get the MCITP.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Piers wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards WGU as well, but I need them to give me straight answer about what old credits I can transfer in? I'd like to do the Network Admin, but I really don't want to do any more general studies courses than absolutely necessary.

I did the first two years of an Economics program almost 20 years ago, so I already have college credit for psych, lit, french, yadda yadda. I later did two years of a Computers Systems diploma, and now I'm one cert away from the MCITP:SA, so I'm delaying for sure until I'm done that..

May also self-study for Security+ before applying (two reasons: one, to get it done before end of year and have a lifetime cert; two, so that I won't have to use my WGU time to earn it)

Anyways, I can't seem to get a firm reply saying "Yes, you took this this and this, you won't have to take them again" and whether I can transfer my credits to more than 25% of the WGU courses

I think they limit your transfer credits to 70%
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »

That sounds about right for most colleges/universities.
  • im_nightrider2003im_nightrider2003 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »

Will I be able to find out how much degree was transferred before I pay the fees. I just don't want to take same classes again.

Thanks.
    Will I be able to find out how much degree was transferred before I pay the fees.

You will have to pay in order for an evaluation to be done. I don't know of any college (including my local state university) that doesn't have an enrollment fee that includes having my credits evaluated. It's just how it works. Because you pay the enrollment fee doesn't mean you have to take classes. I had to do the same thing when I wanted my credits evaluated by the University of South Carolina.
    You will have to pay in order for an evaluation to be done. I don't know of any college (including my local state university) that doesn't have an enrollment fee that includes having my credits evaluated. It's just how it works. Because you pay the enrollment fee doesn't mean you have to take classes. I had to do the same thing when I wanted my credits evaluated by the University of South Carolina.

Enrollment Fee is ok . I am talking about the 3000 Dollars or so per term. icon_smile.gif

Thanks.
    Enrollment Fee is ok . I am talking about the 3000 Dollars or so per term. icon_smile.gif

Glad we got that straightened around, and lets not forget that the enrollment fee can be waived by another student/alumni recommending you. icon_wink.gif
    Isn't that the application fee for a referal?
    We should prob start a thread for people who want to look into WGU for TE members who are WGU to refer them. Don't forget, we also get a $50 Amazon gift (limit 1 per year) when we refer someone.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Glad we got that straightened around, and lets not forget that the enrollment fee can be waived by another student/alumni recommending you. icon_wink.gif

Actually, I think you mean "application fee". I believe "enrollment fee" would be synonymous with "tuition" at WGU.

While we're on this subject, this part of the thread has touched a sore spot. I'm hearing increasing stories of students not getting their transfer information until they've paid their tuition, which I think is a less-than-wonderful practice. Most colleges will tell you immediately once you've applied and once they've received the transcripts where your transfers will fall, and it doesn't seem like WGU is doing that consistently. In many cases, it sounds like students are having to wait until their AAP (study plan) is available to find out how their transfers are credited!! This is not a great practice in comparison to most schools, where you know right after you pay the application fee and before you shell out for tuition (great examples: Excelsior College, Charter Oak State College). It would be a shame to think WGU would have to rope students in this way.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    Actually, I think you mean "application fee". I believe "enrollment fee" would be synonymous with "tuition" at WGU.

I guess your right, thanks for clarifying that.
    While we're on this subject, this part of the thread has touched a sore spot. I'm hearing increasing stories of students not getting their transfer information until they've paid their tuition, which I think is a less-than-wonderful practice. Most colleges will tell you immediately once you've applied and once they've received the transcripts where your transfers will fall, and it doesn't seem like WGU is doing that consistently. In many cases, it sounds like students are having to wait until their AAP (study plan) is available to find out how their transfers are credited!! This is not a great practice in comparison to most schools, where you know right after you pay the application fee and before you shell out for tuition (great examples: Excelsior College, Charter Oak State College). It would be a shame to think WGU would have to rope students in this way.

I really wonder if this has more to do with students rushing to start their classes without waiting to see what transfers. For example, if you were to send in your transcripts on the third week of the month right before classes start (also the beginning of the busiest two weeks of WGU's month), and you want to start next month then don't plan on getting your transcripts back before you start. Honestly, who starts classes without finding out what has transferred?
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really wonder if this has more to do with students rushing to start their classes without waiting to see what transfers.

Yeah, I put in my application and had my transcripts sent in several months before I planned on enrolling. My transcript was evaluated, and I saw exactly what I was getting credit for.

I ended up putting off my enrollment until I could finish a few more Microsoft certs on my own, and after that, I sent in an updated Microsoft transcript. All in all, it was a relatively painless process, but I also wasn't in a rush.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Yeah, I put in my application and had my transcripts sent in several months before I planned on enrolling. My transcript was evaluated, and I saw exactly what I was getting credit for.

I ended up putting off my enrollment until I could finish a few more Microsoft certs on my own, and after that, I sent in an updated Microsoft transcript. All in all, it was a relatively painless process, but I also wasn't in a rush.

Thanks. That discussion helped me a lot. I think I need to start the process as soon as I gradute but dont want to rush and start classes right away. I might even get some certifications done before that.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I really wonder if this has more to do with students rushing to start their classes without waiting to see what transfers. For example, if you were to send in your transcripts on the third week of the month right before classes start (also the beginning of the busiest two weeks of WGU's month), and you want to start next month then don't plan on getting your transcripts back before you start. Honestly, who starts classes without finding out what has transferred?

There may be truth in what hes saying.

I have all my stuff in and I keep asking my enrollment counselor to see my transfer credits and hes dodging the question. He simply keeps telling me to make sure my student loan (not fafsa) stuff is complete. On the online portal it says my AAP isnt available until I am marked as an active student.
    I knew before I was an active student what had transferred. I didn't find out the details of why me lanhuage arts classes hadn't transferred until later. If the whole domain of language arts wasn't completed (hadn't taken a composition class which qualified) none of it counted.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I have all my stuff in and I keep asking my enrollment counselor to see my transfer credits and hes dodging the question.

That's what I'm getting as well.

Before they changed the transfer policies in the Student Handbook for March 1, there was a statement that transfer evaluations would not be processed until all transcripts had been received and the evaluation would be made available within five days. Now it just says transcripts will be processed as they're received.

If they're worried about potential students backing out when finding out credits won't transfer, they should make a few changes--

Raise the application fee a bit. $75+ is not unheard of for college application fees. Change the refer-a-friend program such that payment to the referring student is made upon program start rather than when applying, and make everyone pay the application fee. This should not only help defray the cost of processing transcript evaluations (and make sure WGU gets some money for their trouble), but also should help avoid having unhappy students.
    --Will Rogers
    I intend on going either way but im just very anxious to see where I stand.

I know the university doesn't want to do work for no money, but honestly its not that hard to plug something into a computer and let it sort it out. Not to mention they are obviously making bank by running a non brick and mortar institution anyway.
    I am really surprised by the amount of requests I received to help students waive the enrollment fee. I have also been amazed by how many IT students at WGU are coming over to TE, and TE members coming over to WGU icon_eek.gif
    That's what I'm getting as well.

Before they changed the transfer policies in the Student Handbook for March 1, there was a statement that transfer evaluations would not be processed until all transcripts had been received and the evaluation would be made available within five days. Now it just says transcripts will be processed as they're received.

If they're worried about potential students backing out when finding out credits won't transfer, they should make a few changes--

Raise the application fee a bit. $75+ is not unheard of for college application fees. Change the refer-a-friend program such that payment to the referring student is made upon program start rather than when applying, and make everyone pay the application fee. This should not only help defray the cost of processing transcript evaluations (and make sure WGU gets some money for their trouble), but also should help avoid having unhappy students.

I don't mind paying slightly more fees but I expect the institution to be upfront about credit transfers etc.

Thanks for all the advice to everyone who provided input.

I am in my last class for AS, should I wait until I finish it or apply now and get it evaluated? Please advice.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't mind paying slightly more fees but I expect the institution to be upfront about credit transfers etc.

Thanks for all the advice to everyone who provided input.

I am in my last class for AS, should I wait until I finish it or apply now and get it evaluated? Please advice.

I would wait until you are finished with your AS. My enrollment counselor made it seem like once they do a transfer evaluation that you could not have another one performed. I could be wrong but that is the vibe I got. Good luck!
    I would wait until you are finished with your AS. My enrollment counselor made it seem like once they do a transfer evaluation that you could not have another one performed. I could be wrong but that is the vibe I got. Good luck!

Lets be careful with vibes and stick with facts. I have had mine evaluated at least three times because of the fact that I rescheduled the start of my semesters three times. I added the Security+ the final time it re-evaluated. I bothered by the fact that we are beginning to delve into speculation. icon_thumright.gif
    Lets be careful with vibes and stick with facts. I have had mine evaluated at least three times because of the fact that I rescheduled the start of my semesters three times. I added the Security+ the final time it re-evaluated. I bothered by the fact that we are beginning to delve into speculation. icon_thumright.gif

Well, it seems everyone gets different treatment from different people they are forced to deal with at WGU.

A friend of mine has been going there almost a year, and it took him 2 months to get started...his enrollment counselor was "no longer with WGU" shortly after he finally got started.

Although, i do believe the only time ive ever seen them explicitly state you can no longer have transfers evaluated or added is AFTER youve began classes.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I intend on going either way but im just very anxious to see where I stand.

I know the university doesn't want to do work for no money, but honestly its not that hard to plug something into a computer and let it sort it out. Not to mention they are obviously making bank by running a non brick and mortar institution anyway.

I think I have something you can quote back, from the IT transfer guidelines:
    "Please contact your Enrollment Counselor if it has been more than 15 business days since your transcripts have been received and you have not received an evaluation." This would mean if you don't hear, ask, and you now have an official basis for pushing the issue.

Also-- to defend online schools in general a little-- yes, they have higher margins than brick-and-mortar schools typically, but I would not go so far as to say "they make bank". These schools may pay less in facility and personnel costs, but some of that savings probably gets eaten by other things such as: technology/infrastructure investments, legal expenses, staff training, compliance costs and advertising.
    --Will Rogers
  • Patrick BatemanPatrick Bateman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am mostly done with the process of registering for WGU. Going to start July 1st. Its been a really smooth, easy experience so far. The only thing that bothers me is that it appears very little of my 40-some credits are going to transfer. I have the updated Transfer guidelines pdf and what worries me is that a whole domain has to be cleared to get any credit? I have composition 1, and speech, but no comp 2, so I will get NO credits in the language and communications domain?

Also, for the more informed out there, is the security track solid? Security is definitely the field I want to enter, and my long-term plan is to get a CISSP, so is the security track what I should aim for?
    True about the Comp1, comp2 thing. I had to do the whole language arts domain.
    And WGU doesn't really "make bank", although money does need to go into infrastructure. Check the details, they are a not for profit institution.
    Im all ready to start April 1. Weee!
    See you on the other side hyper
  • Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will start April 1st in the Network Design and Management Degree
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just finished the last course in my capstone series today. That wraps up the course requirements for my degree. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet that I've finally completed my Bachelors degree. Just wanted to share my good news with everybody.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Congrats azjag!
    Usus magister est optimus