CCVP Hardware Lab

adzzaadzza Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Great forum you have here. Really loving the info.

I had a quick question.

I am currently CCNA, and CCSP certified. I just scored a new job and as such need to get my CCVP. I had a lab previously that consisted of 2500's, 2950's, etc but sold that off as it really didn't cut it after ccna.

I am now building a new lab for my path to CCIE (CCVP first), and wanted some help here as I am new to the voice world.

I currently have:

3550 EMI POE
3550 EMI
3550 EMI

7912 Phone
7912 Phone
7941 Phone

Now the routers. I recently purchased these from my work as they had upgraded. I got them for a great price so no complaints here. I have 2 of the following:

3745 Router with the following:
NM-HDV module with DSP's and VWIC MFT 1-Port E1
ISDN card
WIC-2T
IO-2FE

I think the final bits I need to add are FXO and FXS cards, but I am unsure of how many I need in each of the two routers. Would I put 1 FXO, and 1 FXS card in each router or is that overkill? I am a cisco nut and will generally use the gear to its full, and mix labs up for practice. I will also probably be using this for work purposes to do test runs, etc so Its a great investment.

BTW: I will be tying this physical gear in with GNS3 should I need any more routers, etc.

Any advice here would be great as to what I should add to basic this lab.

Cheers!

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome to the madness :)

I would add some FXO and FXS ports to at least one of the routers (you'll also need a carrier module to provide the necessary DSPs, something like an NM-2V would do the trick and wouldn't burn a hole in your wallet). From there you can hookup an analog phone to the FXS port, connect one of the FXO ports to the PSTN (just no emergency dialing!), connect the routers back to back via the voice E1s, setup an IP phone or 2 on each network and start playing!

Also pick up the CCNA:Voice book - Even if you don't take the test the book is a really good primer for CCVP studies.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • adzzaadzza Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks PitViper.

I think I will add 2 FXO and 2 FXS ports to one router, and 2 FXS ports to the other, via NM-2V's of coarse.

That should keep me out of trouble for a while?

Anything else recommended whilst im considering opening my wallet?

Cheers.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    adzza wrote: »
    Thanks PitViper.

I think I will add 2 FXO and 2 FXS ports to one router, and 2 FXS ports to the other, via NM-2V's of coarse.

That should keep me out of trouble for a while?

Anything else recommended whilst im considering opening my wallet?

Cheers.

That's the beginning of a nice little voice lab you have there! Should be plenty to get you started.

Which test are you looking at taking first?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • adzzaadzza Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking at Cvoice, then QOS. The I will take it from there.