Options

Oh man. help me need advise from

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Nothing really serious, but I think I might do a quick detour on my certs path.
I have finished A+, Network+, Security+, and currently working on my Cisco ICND1.
However, I could not get a job nor interview. Since most jobs are looking for MS certs, so I am thinking to get MS cert for now and find a job then continue my Cisco. I really like Cisco cert because it seems like I am going to enjoy it, but I really need to find a job since I am going to get a lay-off envelop soon or by December.
The Sybex MS material will be released in April, so there is a month of wait. Of course, I won't just sit here and wait for it. I'm thinking to continue my Cisco studying and by April get the Sybex MS material.

What do you guys think?

Just for the heck of it, just in case that I get an interview what should I wear?
I am thinking of lite blue shirt with red tie, and black pants and black shiny shoes.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Thinking about it what is your current experience, get the cert that matches your experience. In the current job market there is little point in studying Cisco if your experience is servers and vice versa. If you have both MS and networking experence then you can do either cert, although there is probably going to be more opportunity in the MS world than Cisco.

Personally for interviews, somthing like a dark gray/blue suit, light blue shirt, dark understated tie.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd definitely recommend getting the MS certification to get the job, especially since (as you said) that's what the jobs are looking for. Worry about the cisco one after that.

If you take the Microsoft one before June 30th too, you can get in their second shot offer. Microsoft Learning Career Portal: Special Offers
  • Options
    Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the companies are looking for Microsoft Certifications, you should definitely get a Microsoft certification! :)

And if you take the test before June 30th, you can get a free second change if you don't pass the first time. Search for "Microsoft Second Shot."